Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Need help w/flat tire.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:03 PM
beautiful struggle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quentin has disabled reputation
Default Need help w/flat tire.

I've never gotten a flat b4 on a bike, I was sacared as mofo riding back home. Luckly I was only like 4 or 5 miles from home, made it back saftely.
Anyway do you have to take it to a bike shop or can a gas station fix it? I know they can fix car tires and since a tire is a tire im thinking they should be able to fix a bike tire. Right?
Old 10-27-2007, 01:23 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Need help w/flat tire.

I wouldn't take it anywhere but a bike shop, and honestly, I wouldb't personally patch a bike tire. Where are you located?
Old 10-27-2007, 01:59 PM
单身的 and loving it :)

Kells<3's Bikes is on a distinguished road

That is a no no! Patches on a bike tire especially a tubeless tire do not hold up well at all.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:44 PM
beautiful struggle

awwwww sh*t, I gotta buy a new tire...I live in NOVA, but goto school at UMD, so the bike is w/me at school.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:48 AM
Sorry. Not really.

BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve

Originally Posted by Quentin
awwwww sh*t, I gotta buy a new tire...I live in NOVA, but goto school at UMD, so the bike is w/me at school.
If there are no motorcycle shops close to you, just call the auto shops around and see if they have the capability.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:24 PM
beautiful struggle

Alright I did a little research. Some say don't plug some say its okay epically if the tire has lots of tread left (like mine). Problem Ive called a few shops and most shops don't plug tires. I did find one that would, but its a gas station and he said he's never done a bike b4 so...But I heard shops install more permanent plugs then the ones you can buy in a kit. So I have a dilemma

1. Buy a new tire, which I don’t want to. Tire cost + $75 to mount

2. Plug myself

3. Get a shop, perhaps a gas station to plug

Some people over on a ninja500 site, said they've plugged and been okay. So for now my bike sits out of commission, I can pick up a new tire online for prolly $100-150 but I don’t want to pay to get it mounted that would be an easy 200+. So I’m leaning a lot more towards plugging and hopefully a professional plug.

Input, advice?
Old 10-30-2007, 01:40 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough

If you do decide to plug it, any shop should be able to do it no matter if it's a bike or car. You don't actually have to take the wheel and tire off the bike in order to do so. Just bring it to him, he can find the hole, let out the air, plug the tire and you should be good to go.

According to skr00z, a plug in the rear tire isn't any big deal, just don't plug the front.. ever.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:12 PM
oNi
Urusai! Baka!

oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi

I got a flat last year on my F3 in the rear tire after running over some shattered glass, the hole was small since it was from glass and was about in the middle of the tire. I plugged it myself with a kit from wal-mart, same kit I used on my car, worked great both times. I had about 30-40% tread left and kept an eye on it every time I went out, honestly didn't have much faith in it being the low tread and it being a plug on a bike tire, but sure enough, that thing lasted til I actually NEEDED to replace it as I wore it down to where metal was showing. Depending where the hole/flat is and the size of it, I'd say plug it and eye it every time you go riding along with checking your tire pressure and you'll probably get by just fine. When you do plug it don't cut off the excess of the plug, just let it bond to the tire by riding on it, it'll look like you ran over some gum and cover the area around the hole and should eventually bond to it as my tire did. Right after you do the plug you may want to check for leaks, just spray some soapy water where you plugged it and see if you get any bubbles that way you know if you still are leaking, I'd do the same test after you initially ride to make sure the excess of the plug has started to bond as it should.

I've gotten a plug on my car tire since the screw in it was too close to the wall to patch, it took my 4 different shops to find one to do it and even he said he can't guarantee it as all the shops I went to wouldn't do plugs since they don't guarantee it, but the plug he used at the shop was honestly the same shit I was able to buy at wal-mart. Ever since I found that out I just keep that kit in my car and have plugged my own holes or at least the ones that are pluggable by myself and they've been fine.

Oh and I wouldn't try and burnouts afterwards if you do go with the plug.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

seanazzy is an unknown quantity at this point

i'd go to a local track and just buy some takeoffs instead of buying a brand new tire and if you take loose rim and tire nobody should charge more than $20/tire mount and balance and if they do that's ridiculous
Old 10-30-2007, 06:59 PM
beautiful struggle

thanks fellas for the advice. I'll prolly get it taken care of in the next day or so. And yea I called some shop and they wanted $75 for mounting.

Quick Reply: Need help w/flat tire.