Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Motorcycle track days statistics needed

Old 07-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Boost is Better

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx
Default Motorcycle track days statistics needed

Does anyone know any statistics on like crashes/deaths for amateur racing at say track days at VIR or similar evens?

I have searched and can't really figure out.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E
Default Re: Motorcycle track days statistics needed

They're probably hard stats to drum off. Usually a death at a track is big news, and I highly doubt there have been any at VIR. Crashes on the other hand I'm sure are aplenty.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:13 PM
R.I.P B.K.H & K.D.A.

SlammedScort has disabled reputation

This was just from a quick google search

VIR crash claims teenager
By Jason Wolf
Published: August 19, 2008
» 1 Comment | Post a Comment
vote
nowBuzz up!ALTON — A teenage motorcycle rider has died of injuries he received in a three-way crash Sunday morning at Virginia International Raceway.

Toriano Wilson, 14, of Bermuda, was competing in the Red Bull AMA U.S. Rookies Cup Series race at VIR when he fell off his motorcycle on Turn 6 of the first lap and was accidentally struck by at least one other rider while trying to get out of the way. Luciano Ribodino, of Argentina, and Garet Tomlinson, of Fort Worth, Texas, were also involved in the crash.

Wilson was airlifted to the University of North Carolina Hospital in Chapel Hill, N.C., where he was pronounced dead early Monday morning. Ribodino, 14, was transported in a separate helicopter to Duke University Medical Center in Durham, N.C., where he is in stable condition and receiving treatment for a broken left arm and broken left femur. Tomlinson, 15, was not seriously injured in the crash.

The teens were posting top speeds in excess of 85 mph.

“The AMA and Red Bull have a long history in racing and every effort is made to create the safest possible environment for all participants,” Red Bull race series spokesperson Jordan Miller wrote in a press release. “Unfortunately, racing also carries inherent risks. This was a tragic accident and our thoughts are with both families at this time.”

Virginia International Raceway public relations officials declined to comment.

Wilson’s death is the third fatality at VIR since the track reopened in March 2000 after being closed for 25 years. It is at least the fourth fatality since the track originally opened in 1957.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:45 AM
Boost is Better

thanks. That's pretty much what I needed but seems I am still not going to win lol.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:42 AM
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3

I think we're fighting the same fight
Old 07-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Boost is Better

Yea I am a speed junkie and I want to take my bike to a track day but the wife has this fear that I will get hurt and thinks its really stupid to purposely put myself in harms way. She's ok with me racing cars and dirtbikes but refuses to see my side on this for some reason.

Oh well I caved
Old 07-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

streetsk8er757 has disabled reputation

Well we know who wears the pants in that relationship jk

All Track days really are are rider improvement courses . My GF would rather me ride on the track than worry about me getting run off the road by a big rig because I was in his blind spot at the wrong time, or there is taking an off ramp at 80 hitting some gravel and sliding into/under the guard rail where at the track you have PLENTY of run-off room. Picture you going down on the road and having to wait 10 minutes(or more) for EMS to show up where at the track it takes maybe 2 minutes for EMS to get to you because they are already there.

If she is that worried next she will probably tell you to stop riding and make you sell your bike in the next few months.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

elements018 has disabled reputation

track days are in no way like a race. Usually the environment is a lot more safe, guys won't ride as close to you as they would a race. You can always ride your own pace. Its a shit ton safer then practicing your skills on the street. I would much prefer crashing at the track then the street. I'd say go for it!
Old 07-22-2010, 03:52 AM
Boost is Better

Yea I tried to explain to her that it's much safer at the track but she is scared about the speed factor and has never been to a track so she just has no idea. I mean I can go that's not the thing but she is like completely terrified that I will get hurt if I do.

She is in med school and her time in the hospital she saw a lot of motorcycle accidents come in and that is why she is so scared but I tried to explain that she didn't see guys coming in from the track she saw people come in that weren't wearing all the gear you need for a track day and people who are hit by cars,guard rails,trees,gravel and whatever obsticle can get in their way as they're sliding which is not at the track.

Oh well maybe i'll just take her to a couple track days that my friends go to and not race and just let her see what it's all about. They MAYBE she will realize it's not all that bad and much safer than the street.

I have already gone down with my 1000 because of gravel too so that isn't helping the situation. I was only going 25-30 around a blind corner and basically hit a washed out driveway of gravel. After replacing the frame slider there is just one small scratch on the very lower fairing but still, Not helping me out.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:35 PM
Ich liebe Bier

BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin

Crashes happen at track days, amateur races, etc. It's just a part of riding.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle track days statistics needed