Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

motorcycle lighting laws

Old 10-02-2008, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tech0937 has much to be proud oftech0937 has much to be proud oftech0937 has much to be proud oftech0937 has much to be proud oftech0937 has much to be proud oftech0937 has much to be proud oftech0937 has much to be proud oftech0937 has much to be proud oftech0937 has much to be proud oftech0937 has much to be proud oftech0937 has much to be proud of
Default motorcycle lighting laws

I saw a guy a few weeks ago riding at night with his bike lit up green. It had a very ghostly effect, really nicely done. You could see him coming a mile away, couldn't miss it. But I was wondering was this legal? What are the laws here in Va for lighting on our bikes? Colors, blink rate, or just extra lighting to be seen, whats legal and whats not?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Flesh Into Gear.

kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa
Default Re: motorcycle lighting laws

Probably not legal. Distraction to other drivers. But using common sense, more people would see the bike. Which is a lot more than what they can say now.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder Night Ryder

i spoke to a few police officers and they told me that the lights are legal(except blue) on city streets, but if you go on the Hwy they are illegal. the state troopers can give you a ticket.
i have orange lights on my bike and i ride with them on at night so i can be seen. the one headlight and the tiny tailights are not enough light to be seen by other drivers
Old 10-03-2008, 07:21 AM
FML.

brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost

Colors are good to go. Except Red, Yellow, and Blue as told by a horse riding cop in Va Beach. I guess they dont want you using colors used by police/emergency vehicles. A guy had a full green lighting setup on his bike and he rode right by, no problems. I have ONE blue L.E.D. at the bottom of my windscreen and he said I couldnt have it. No ticket though.

Im not sure about the interstate part though.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:28 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Ask Smokeybear.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Fighterer

Abysalone will become famous soon enough

I remember reading something about them making a law that states we can use them for safety reasons. Not sure what came of that.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:40 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

I know several states do permit certain colored lighting specifically on motorcycles, but I highly doubt VA is one of them personally. In fact, I was told before that it was unlawful per a law student a few months ago that looked into it.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:30 AM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

Originally Posted by tech0937
I saw a guy a few weeks ago riding at night with his bike lit up green. It had a very ghostly effect, really nicely done. You could see him coming a mile away, couldn't miss it. But I was wondering was this legal? What are the laws here in Va for lighting on our bikes? Colors, blink rate, or just extra lighting to be seen, whats legal and whats not?
it wasn't a silver Honda was it?
Old 10-04-2008, 06:45 AM

zx636skiv is on a distinguished road

I was always told that if it wasn't stock, you couldn't have it in VA...but that was a while ago, so trust what the cops say I guess.

Might be able to find something here...all the VA laws are here. Might be a little hard to find though, they never seem to make it easy!
http://leg1.state.va.us/lis.htm
Old 10-04-2008, 06:49 AM
Registered member

BretSV has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by zx636skiv
I was always told that if it wasn't stock, you couldn't have it in VA
I think that's the safest bet. If it isn't stock, there's always a chance you could get a ticket for it, even if 50 cops tell you its ok. Over the years I've heard a wealth of misinformation from cops, mechanics, state inspectors, and the like over what is and isn't legal.

Quick Reply: motorcycle lighting laws