Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

maintenance for 06 zx6r

Old 08-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default maintenance for 06 zx6r

Ive had my bike for about 2 months now and i put about 1k mi. on it so far. i took the bike for service @ 600 mi. . after picking the bike up from service it felt like heaven everything was smooth, throttle play, clutch play, chain slack etc. the bike was riding like a dream. 400 mi. later its starting to loose its smoothness and needs a little maintenance work. now, i breezed through the owners manual and pretty much understand all the requirements and how its done, but i was wondering if anybody whos (motorcycle) mechanically inclined just to step me through a couple things here and there so i can start doing it on my onw???

im available any day of the week after 5:00 p.m. and on the weekends im free.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:27 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: maintenance for 06 zx6r

although i can't imagine what would make it feel like you say it does after only 400 miles, if you wanna bring it by, i'll show you the basics. i work at home, so whenever you have time, just let me know. i'm always here.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:48 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
although i can't imagine what would make it feel like you say it does after only 400 miles, if you wanna bring it by, i'll show you the basics. i work at home, so whenever you have time, just let me know. i'm always here.
it is kind of hard to believe, but those 400 mi. were actually ridden pretty hard. on the other hand va beach is a pretty long ride just to meet up for a couple maintenance tips, but if u want to set something up for maybe this weekend, just p.m. ur address and i can possibly shoot down there this weekend.

let me know
Old 08-30-2006, 12:12 PM
M Mode............

S4::Indukted has disabled reputation

i also have a 06 zx-6r... How do you like it? Just last weekend I kinda regret getting the kawi. I should've gather up more guts and gotten the Yami R1 in black.

heres a pic of my gf on the ninja. Ive had it for 2 months and only putting down 800 miles.. LOL

I need to take her out more
Old 08-30-2006, 12:15 PM
Patron

Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus

I like the zx-6r man notting wrong with them
Old 08-30-2006, 12:42 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by S4::Indukted
i also have a 06 zx-6r... How do you like it? Just last weekend I kinda regret getting the kawi. I should've gather up more guts and gotten the Yami R1 in black.

heres a pic of my gf on the ninja. Ive had it for 2 months and only putting down 800 miles.. LOL

WTF? I'm going to smack you...
Old 08-30-2006, 12:48 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

To the original poster, I have an '05 ZX6R/636... First, congratulations on your purchase. I personally think they're some of the finest bikes on the market, but I'm very biased. I could have bought anything, but I chose another Kawasaki. They may be noisy, but they're comfortable, and smooth. Very rider friendly.

This may sound silly, but have you cleaned and/or lubed your chain after those 400 miles? For me, I've noticed that makes a world of difference. It's not as noisy after taking a few minutes to clean and lube the chain, and it feels smoother all around. Also, after oil changes, it feels rejuvenated. You shouldn't have to change your oil after 400 miles, but the chain could use some attention every few hundred miles if you can. Like I said, for me, it makes a noticeable difference.

Can you try and describe what feels so rough about it? Anything in particular you can pinpoint?

Also, are you breaking the bike in correctly? I assume not since you said it's been ridden hard and you're only at 1k miles. What kind of gas are you using? 93 octane only hopefully... You really want to try and be careful when you're at the low mileage you're at as far as how you ride it. Try and take it easy next time bro. A lot of people suggest changing the oil several times when you're breaking it in. A lot of people do it at 60 miles, 500 miles, 1000 miles, 1500 miles, and then 1500-2000 miles later. That's a little excessive, but it might be worthwhile in the long run................. maybe.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by S4::Indukted

i noticed in ur sig. that u have an s4....i do too...back on topic, thats actually how i felt a week or two after i bought it, then i pulled up next to my buddy on his 06 gsxr600 and gave him the business(by 1 1/2 2 car lengths). also, ive starting lusting for a 1k bike myself but the 15.5k redline is beautiful on the track, but the zx6r is def. a str8 line bike cuz i find myself loosing alot of ground to other bikes around the turns.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:54 PM
boom tick boom tick

Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum

most bikes will keep up with other bikes, everything is pretty even... so if you're losing them in the corners that doesnt means its the bikes fault, might wanna check the rider error :P

but any bike you buy you are gonna have to keep on top of matinence..
Old 08-30-2006, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
To the original poster, I have an '05 ZX6R/636... First, congratulations on your purchase. I personally think they're some of the finest bikes on the market, but I'm very biased. I could have bought anything, but I chose another Kawasaki. They may be noisy, but they're comfortable, and smooth. Very rider friendly.

This may sound silly, but have you cleaned and/or lubed your chain after those 400 miles? For me, I've noticed that makes a world of difference. It's not as noisy after taking a few minutes to clean and lube the chain, and it feels smoother all around. Also, after oil changes, it feels rejuvenated. You shouldn't have to change your oil after 400 miles, but the chain could use some attention every few hundred miles if you can. Like I said, for me, it makes a noticeable difference.

Can you try and describe what feels so rough about it? Anything in particular you can pinpoint?

Also, are you breaking the bike in correctly? I assume not since you said it's been ridden hard and you're only at 1k miles. What kind of gas are you using? 93 octane only hopefully... You really want to try and be careful when you're at the low mileage you're at as far as how you ride it. Try and take it easy next time bro. A lot of people suggest changing the oil several times when you're breaking it in. A lot of people do it at 60 miles, 500 miles, 1000 miles, 1500 miles, and then 1500-2000 miles later. That's a little excessive, but it might be worthwhile in the long run................. maybe.
i appriciate it bro., def. glad i choose the zx6r over any other 600.

the roughness im feeling is; most noticable in first gear i have to be much more smooth with the throttle now. at high rpms the roughness is much less noticable. also, shifting gears as i release the clutch i have to be alot more gentle to get that smooth feeling. throttle, clutch, and chain have alot more play then they should.

as far as breaking in the bike correctly; from 0-600mi i kept the bike under 5k rpms, but after i got my first service i took the rpms past no mans land i think a couple times too many, just out of pure adrenaline. because of this im now hearing a slight rattling noise in the enigine. a friend of mine is suggesting that this is loosened valves and nothing i should be worried about. could this be possible?? also, what would be a good method to use to clean the chain??

Quick Reply: maintenance for 06 zx6r