Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Locked the rear wheel today

Old 05-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Chillaxin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6
Default Locked the rear wheel today

As the title says

I was riding in traffic, and saw another biker going in the opposite direction, so i do the point, and no sooner i made eye contact back to my lane, it was at a dead stop, and i was still movin. I braked rather hard, and felt the rear tire slide from side to side. Funny thing was, it wasnt really as hard as i thought it would be to control it. I didnt panic for a second which suprised me. I thought lockin that wheel would make things go terribly wrong, but it really wasnt bad at all, it was actually rather fun

Maybe it was the new tire, lol
Old 05-22-2004, 01:39 PM
ReRegistered User

NSXNEXT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Locked the rear wheel today

damn, you had better be more careful on that thing. It seems like everyday you get closer and closer to killing yourself.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:39 PM
Patron

Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
damn, you had better be more careful on that thing. It seems like everyday you get closer and closer to killing yourself.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:40 PM
_______

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Originally Posted by Mr.6
Maybe it was the new tire, lol
Yea thats it! blame Brett...lol j/k
Old 05-22-2004, 01:44 PM
Va Beach Coast Rider

CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4

Locking a tire really might not have anything to do with the tire itself. There could have been gravel, or the tire was bone cold.

And locking a rear really isn't that dangerous either. It's something you should have had to accomplish in a motorcycle safety course.

I do it all the time. Pull into a parking lot at speed and cut to left quick as you lock it up. Like you're on a dirt bike or something! Nice half circle patch left behind.................

Was it a brand new tire? If so, be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! New tires have to be broken in and are slippery as hell during the first hundred or so miles.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:45 PM
PandaMania

BigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these parts

mine did that when i blew the motor at 45mph it was scary afterwards. experience takes over
Old 05-22-2004, 02:05 PM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Originally Posted by CBR600F4
And locking a rear really isn't that dangerous either. It's something you should have had to accomplish in a motorcycle safety course.

I do it all the time. Pull into a parking lot at speed and cut to left quick as you lock it up. Like you're on a dirt bike or something! Nice half circle patch left behind.................

Was it a brand new tire? If so, be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! New tires have to be broken in and are slippery as hell during the first hundred or so miles.
The tire is new, i took ur advice on breaking it in hundred+ miles before getting on it good. They didnt teach rear lock-ups in the class, just swerving and running over small obstacles. Bret told me to take it to a parking lot and do what you said. The tire was warm im sure, but it still needs to be broken in well, thats probably why it slid.

And it wasnt really a problem so i didnt come close to killing myself at all. Traffic was crawling slow as balls, i gave a wave to the other biker, and we had to stop. There were two lights that are back to back (this is on J. Clyde, where there is a waffle house). Part of the reason i hit the brakes so hard was to stop at the line of the light, but said fuck it and went through, but the rear had already started to slide, so i applied more pressure to the front and came off the rear a little as i was coming to a stop. It wasnt something where i was doing 55 and sliding to a stop or anything, it was a short stop.

The more i think about it, i think it was the tire, because ive applied the brakes like that before on the old tire and it didnt do that.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:10 PM
Patron

Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus

Originally Posted by Mr.6
The tire is new, i took ur advice on breaking it in hundred+ miles before getting on it good. They didnt teach rear lock-ups in the class, just swerving and running over small obstacles. Bret told me to take it to a parking lot and do what you said. The tire was warm im sure, but it still needs to be broken in well, thats probably why it slid.

And it wasnt really a problem so i didnt come close to killing myself at all. Traffic was crawling slow as balls, i gave a wave to the other biker, and we had to stop. There were two lights that are back to back (this is on J. Clyde, where there is a waffle house). Part of the reason i hit the brakes so hard was to stop at the line of the light, but said fuck it and went through, but the rear had already started to slide, so i applied more pressure to the front and came off the rear a little as i was coming to a stop. It wasnt something where i was doing 55 and sliding to a stop or anything, it was a short stop.

The more i think about it, i think it was the tire, because ive applied the brakes like that before on the old tire and it didnt do that.
Man note to self dont ride on the other side of the water..
Old 05-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Originally Posted by CBR600F4

And how would you go about doing this without the bike throwing you off? Something tells me that physics will take over and the momentum from the bike will throw me over the right side of it if i try that, no?
Old 05-22-2004, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

it would be hard to say if it was the tire or not, if your old tire was pretty worn then it wouldn't be gripping that great either, and the mold release compound that makes new tires slippery should have been gone in the middle unless you were literally within the first 10 miles of the new tire or something... but if the old tire was squared off or had low air pressure then it would have a bigger flatter contact patch, not necessarily a good thing, but probably less prone to locking up the rear under breaking... then factor in a new tire, fresh round profile, and probably higher air pressure and it will lock up easier

but yea practicing lock ups is a good idea in a parking lot so when/if it doesn't happen you can stay on the brakes and not freak out and let off of them... in an emergency stop you should be using way more front brake than rear, some people don't even use the rear at all, i do though b/c just in case i was to lock the front through some oil or something i want to still have some brake power coming from the rear

also practice hard stops and find out how hard you can get on the front brake with out starting to lock it up or doing an endo, a big newbie mistake is freaking out and locking up the front wheel which will put you on the ground instantaneously

Quick Reply: Locked the rear wheel today