VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Cycle Corner (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/)
-   -   License/Permit Info for Virginia (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/license-permit-info-virginia-101468/)

R1Buttercup 07-18-2005 09:30 PM

License/Permit Info for Virginia

Obtaining a Motorcycle Learner's Permit

Class M Designation
If you already hold a valid Virginia driver's license without a motorcycle designation, you may add a Class M designation to your license that will allow you to operate a motorcycle.

If you are 19 or older you must do the following to add the Class M designation to your current license:

Pass the required vision screening
Pass the motorcycle knowledge exam
Hold a motorcycle learner's permit for 30 days
Pass the motorcycle road skills test

If you provide DMV with a certificate of completion from the Virginia Rider Training Program issued before July 1, 2007, you will not have to hold a learner's permit for 30 days or take the motorcycle road skills test.

Providing a Virginia Rider Training Program certificate of completion that is issued after July 1, 2007 also exempts you from taking the motorcycle knowledge exam and when carried with your Virginia driver's license you may operate a motorcycle for 30 days from the date of course completion.

You must apply within the 30 days at DMV to add the Class M to your license to remain eligible to operate a motorcycle.

If you are under 19, to receive a motorcycle designation on your driver's license, you must:

Pass the required vision screening
Pass the motorcycle knowledge exam
Hold a motorcycle learner's permit for 9 months
Pass the motorcycle road skills test
If you provide DMV with a Virginia Rider Training Program certificate of completion issued before July 1, 2007 you are exempt from taking the motorcycle road skills test for a period of two years from course completion. Completion certificates issued after July 1, 2007 exempt you from taking the motorcycle knowledge exam and road skills test for a period of one year from course completion.

The motorcycle class costs $2.00 per year. It is valid for the same period of time as your driver's license. When you renew your driver's license, remember to renew your Class M designation also.

Driver's License Restricted to Operation of a Motorcycle
If you do not hold a driver's license, you may obtain a driver's license that allows you to operate ONLY a motorcycle.

In addition to the above requirements for adding a motorcycle designation to a driver's license, you must:

Pass the two-part driver's license knowledge exam

The motorcycle-only driver's license costs $6.00 per year and is valid for 5 years. Remember that this type of driver's license allows you to operate only a motorcycle. If you decide later that you want to operate another type of vehicle, you will have to pass the knowledge exam and road skills test for that vehicle type. For more information, refer to Applying for a License.

94b18c1 08-03-2005 07:51 PM

Re: License/Permit Info for Virginia

what do you have to do at the dmv after i had my permit for 30 days, does anyone knowe in detail whats it like??

mischiefse7en 08-03-2005 08:41 PM

take the road test. mine took 5 minutes or so...easy money

R1Buttercup 08-03-2005 09:09 PM

Or take the MSF course at any local community college. This class also gives you a discount on your insurance.

gilligan 08-03-2005 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by 4gvtec
take the road test. mine took 5 minutes or so...easy money

i have a 9 ft. long chopper?not good in tight quarters,what would be the best dmv to take the road coarse test at? :o

94b18c1 08-16-2005 10:10 PM

what consists of the road course

donteay_wc 08-17-2005 01:59 AM

to me the msc course is the best way to go because it's 1 day of class and two days of riding and at most places they provide the bikes for u if u take the brc course and none of the bikes are over 300 cc. i took my in coloniel heights va and i am from chesapeake but i got me a hotel for two days and went to the class. it was very easy and i got my card on the 3rd day at the end of class and went to dmv that next morning and paid $8.00 to get my m designation. u don't have to hold the permit 30 days if u do it that way but u must have it to get the license. try this link http://www.msf-usa.org/ the course was $105.00

mischiefse7en 08-17-2005 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by 94b18c1
what consists of the road course

Well, from what i remember...

The first part is 4 cones spaced about 4-6' apart and you have to weave them without falling or putting a foot down.
The second was going in a straight line, come to a complete stop and balance for 5 seconds witout putting a foot down.
The third was doing a rolling u turn in a U-shaped box about 10' or so wide and about 6' long, you come in, U-turn, and stop before the end of the 6' line without putting a foot down or falling.
The last you have to go 12mph, in 15', and hold it there, and at a line you apply brakes and have to stop it in a certain amount of feet, cant remember, but i think its like 8'-12' or so.

And that was my entire road test, easy money. The hardest part was getting a 5' bike through those cones spaced so damn close!

donteay_wc 08-17-2005 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by 4gvtec
Well, from what i remember...

The first part is 4 cones spaced about 4-6' apart and you have to weave them without falling or putting a foot down.
The second was going in a straight line, come to a complete stop and balance for 5 seconds witout putting a foot down.
The third was doing a rolling u turn in a U-shaped box about 10' or so wide and about 6' long, you come in, U-turn, and stop before the end of the 6' line without putting a foot down or falling.
The last you have to go 12mph, in 15', and hold it there, and at a line you apply brakes and have to stop it in a certain amount of feet, cant remember, but i think its like 8'-12' or so.

And that was my entire road test, easy money. The hardest part was getting a 5' bike through those cones spaced so damn close!

YOU ARE SO RIGHT THAT'S JUST HOW IT IS TO THE TEE BUT IT IS HARD ON A BIGGER BIKE THAT'S WHY I TOOK THE COURSE AND USED THERE BIKE THEY PROVIDED. I HAVE HEARD OF PEOPLE FAILING THE COURSE AND PASSING THE CLASS.

2-D 08-18-2005 06:36 PM

WHAT IS WITH ALL THE CAPS