Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Just wondering about regular maintenance

Old 11-29-2005, 05:21 AM
AC-UR-AGE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marshallbc will become famous soon enough
Default Just wondering about regular maintenance

I have a 04' ZX-6R and have only had it for about two months now. I was just wondering about the oil change cycle and lube cycle of the street bikes. If there are monthly should do's and winter to do's. I will be storing it in my insulated garage that stays around 50's-60's in the winter. I have a cover for it and I want to know what other stuff I should buy for maintenance and storage.
Any help welcome, I know cars like the back of my hand but bikes are still new to me. And I do not want to screw up my bike because I did not know to do something.

Thanks,
Old 11-29-2005, 06:08 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Just wondering about regular maintenance

i change my oil every 3,000 miles, always use a new filter myself, usually the book will say to replace it every other change so thats up to you... people say to clean/lube your chain every 500 miles but i just don't have the time, i do it about twice an oil change so every 1,500 i give it a good cleaning and spray on new chain lube, but just as important is making sure it stays in adjustment... if its an 04 thats about it i'd say, i'm just going by suzuki recommendations but for the most part a bike is a bike, check the air filter around 10k, spark plugs at 7,500, change the coolant and brake fluid every 2 years... as far as winterization i wouldn't do anything, our winters are so short and mild, add to that the occasional 60 degree day where you can pull it out and ride and then yours being insulated you should be fine
Old 11-29-2005, 07:04 AM
AC-UR-AGE

marshallbc will become famous soon enough

Thanks, that helps allot. I feel better now. I did an oil change, chain lube and filter change when I bought it just to be safe. but it only has 2100 miles on it so I am better now.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

xshanex has disabled reputation

just park it and turn off the gas if its going to be sitting for a while. Try and take it for a 5-10 minute spin and get it up to operating temp once a month if possible.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

I just put my bike in the basement up on the stands, wash it and seal/polish it, put some fuel stabilizer in the tank, and drain the oil and put in cheapo whatever oil for the winter months..
Old 12-05-2005, 07:50 PM
It tilts

AMDxp2000 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by GaRn
I just put my bike in the basement up on the stands, wash it and seal/polish it, put some fuel stabilizer in the tank, and drain the oil and put in cheapo whatever oil for the winter months..

I was told and so was my dad via roanoke valley hardly davidson to put seafoam in the tank and high test gas........

True or bs ?
Old 12-06-2005, 03:20 AM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AMDxp2000
I was told and so was my dad via roanoke valley hardly davidson to put seafoam in the tank and high test gas........

True or bs ?
Not sure if higher octane would help, but the effect of seafoam might be the same compared to fuel stabilizer? If gas sits a while it just gels/gums up..

I run mine for a few minutes to get the mixture in the fuel lines too..
Old 12-26-2005, 05:34 PM
none

RepairMan is an unknown quantity at this point

A battery tender and fuel stabilizer are the things you really need. Having fresh oil in it is nice too.