Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Just got my zx6r NEED HELP

Old 03-24-2004, 08:59 PM
Fighterer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abysalone will become famous soon enough
Default Just got my zx6r IT RUNS :)

To start off I have plenty of dirt experience and im pretty good with automotive stuff. Well I picked up my bike yesterday and when I got there she fired it up easily and it ran very good. Sounds badass around 8-9k rpms Under 7k miles too. We strapped it down and drove home. When I went to fire it up once we got home, nothing. It would just turn over. I held the choke on like she said to do, and while in nuetral on the stand I hit the start button.(CLUTCH WAS BYPASSED SO NO NEED TO HOLD IN) All it would do is turn over. The petcock was turned on, gastank full and the key and run switch on also. Still nothing. She said it could be a low battery or fouled plugs. Im kind of pissed cuz im out 2g's and I aint even rode it yet (didnt wanna ride till I got a helmet anyways) It sounded like it was very solid running wise and all else looks good so far too. I have a ton of spare parts too if anyone needs some . If any of you all have some ideas I would appreciate it.

Last edited by Abysalone; 03-27-2004 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Just got my zx6r NEED HELP

try push starting it, get to a decent amount of speed on a hill or with two friends pushing and pop the clutch in 2nd or 3rd gear... was it cold? carburated bikes dont like to start sometimes in the cold, tomorrow is going to be really nice give it a try then... also try starting it with a car's battery attached to the bike's via some jumper cables, but DO NOT have the car running, w/ the alternator it will be too much juice for the bike's system
Old 03-24-2004, 10:37 PM
Fighterer

Ok well ill try tomorrow it was a little cold. Tried pushstarting it in 2nd then 3rd. still nothing. And I will try the jump trick.Thanks
Old 03-25-2004, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

Alwayslast is an unknown quantity at this point

if you turn the key to the on position and there is a ticking sound than it's the battery.
does the bike make any noise at all trying to start up?
Old 03-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

take it off the stand!

if it has a side stand, be sure that its in the UP position, or if it has a center stand be sure its up as well!!!!

many bikes wont start(but will still turn over) if you have any of the stands down..

i am willin to bet $100 this is the problem!
Old 03-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

cbucgo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm...never heard that before but I guess that could be true. I know that with the kickstand down it won't let you start it, but that only happens when the bike is in gear.
Pull the plugs out one by one still connected to the plug wire, and each time you pull a plug, hold it to a piece of metal and crank the bike to see if you are getting spark. If you aren't getting spark, you might have some issues.
If you have spark more than likely, it is a fuel problem. 1st I would check to make sure fuel is getting past the petcock. If fuel is passing through the petcock, see if it is going through the filter.

If none of our posts have helped so far, I would take it to a shop or have somebody that knows bikes, to look at it. You might check to see if the bike was winterized as well. Good luck
Old 03-25-2004, 08:10 PM
Fighterer

This is a race bike so no kickstands on it. I tried a charged battery today and still the same thing. It just cranks and thats it. I called the chick again today but no answer and no call back. She has to know im a little pissed. I dont see how putting the bike on a trailer and driving 6 hrs with it would make it not even try to start. I couldnt get to the plugs today so maybe this weekend. If she thinks she is getting the other 400$ she can forget about it. Especially if it has to goto a shop. I was kind of suspecting the fuel pump but why would it die from there to here. All she did was turn on key, pull the choke and hit the button. It started right up. I need a beer
Old 03-25-2004, 08:11 PM
Fighterer

i am willin to bet $100 this is the problem!
When do I collect? lol
Old 03-25-2004, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

well i mean its a used bike and its buyer beware and as-is all that good stuff, it was your responsibility to check it out and stuff so if it doesn't start when you get it home its not her problem... not trying to be a dick but blowing up on her won't do any good, it would be different if she sold you a clean titled bike and when you go to register it dmv tells you its really a salvage title or something... but so it started and ran just fine for you? i don't think that bike even has a fuel pump

but you haven't removed anything or done any work to it? did you wash it or did it get rained on? i mean i can't imagine any possible way she could make it start for you that one time if there was a problem so it must have occured since you bought it... i had a similar problem on my F3, it just randomly would not start, tried everything and couldn't get it to run, then i pulled the plugs, they looked perfect but i said what the hell and put in brand new ones, fired up first try... also my gsxr 750 wouldn't start once, i was pissed i tried everything, after days and days of trying and stuff i on a tip pulled my ecu's connector, inside was about 1/4" of water, blew it out with an air gun and it started first press of the button

but your trying with the choke on and off? try working the throttle while you press the start button? your absolutely certain the pet cock is in the "on" or "reserve" position? i'd try both...

so are you going to race it, or trying to make it streetable?
Old 03-25-2004, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

Alwayslast is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm not a mechanic but try bringing up the idling a little bit.
and see if that works
if that doesn't work than
i can take a look at it if it is in the hapmton roads area.
where is the bike located?

Quick Reply: Just got my zx6r NEED HELP