Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Just got my first RIDABLE bike! check it out, pics inside

Old 05-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98formulaLS1 will become famous soon enough
Default Just got my first RIDABLE bike! check it out, pics inside

Year: 1981
Make: Yamaha
Model: XJ550 Maxim
Miles: 9,000
Color: Black

This is the second bike I've owned, and the first one that I'll be able to ride daily! It needed a little TLC, but I took care of that today. I bought it from the 2nd Owner, who has owned it for the past 10 years. He took great care of it, putting in oils and additive that are much higher quality and much more expensive than even I can afford, lol. The bike is in overall great shape, with a little adjustments needed here and there.

The last things he did with the bike is put on new tires, new brake pads, and new fork seals.
Since I've had it today, I've replaced the oil w/ filter, spark plugs, replaced and bleed the front brakes, disassembled and thoroughly cleaned the car, replaced the battery, bought a waterproof bike cover, and prepped my backyard for the storage of this machine. The last thing I need to do is put the carbs back on the bike, check the fuse for the headlight, and get that bad boy inspected! It will be on the road soon.

Let me know what ya'll think?
Attached Thumbnails Just got my first RIDABLE bike! check it out, pics inside-81_xj550.jpg  
Old 05-16-2009, 08:47 PM
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3
Default Re: Just got my first RIDABLE bike! check it out, pics inside

Chop it.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars

congrats on the buy, you'll love it
Old 05-17-2009, 06:39 AM
SV haver

chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe

jake speaks the truF
Old 05-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

ok so I just finished cleaning out the tank, and completely cleaning and sealing the petcock. It fired up and idled purrrrfect, the first time too! I'm gonna have so much fun with this bike!
Old 05-17-2009, 03:58 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

did you go riding yet????get going...its only rain
Old 05-18-2009, 09:11 AM
TRIED HIS GT!

FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT

Originally Posted by 98formulaLS1
Year: 1981
Make: Yamaha
Model: XJ550 Maxim
Miles: 9,000
Color: Black

This is the second bike I've owned, and the first one that I'll be able to ride daily! It needed a little TLC, but I took care of that today. I bought it from the 2nd Owner, who has owned it for the past 10 years. He took great care of it, putting in oils and additive that are much higher quality and much more expensive than even I can afford, lol. The bike is in overall great shape, with a little adjustments needed here and there.

The last things he did with the bike is put on new tires, new brake pads, and new fork seals.
Since I've had it today, I've replaced the oil w/ filter, spark plugs, replaced and bleed the front brakes, disassembled and thoroughly cleaned the car, replaced the battery, bought a waterproof bike cover, and prepped my backyard for the storage of this machine. The last thing I need to do is put the carbs back on the bike, check the fuse for the headlight, and get that bad boy inspected! It will be on the road soon.

Let me know what ya'll think?

Correct me if I am wrong but this has the 600cc sport bike motor in it right? Has like an 12k rpm rev limit. I think that I am right. Which is unusual for a cruiser to have.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by FairladyZTT
Correct me if I am wrong but this has the 600cc sport bike motor in it right? Has like an 12k rpm rev limit. I think that I am right. Which is unusual for a cruiser to have.
I think you're wrong. I'll check my service manual again as to the exact # of CC's this has, and I'm pretty sure the rev limiter is at 10k. I'll double check though, that would be awesome if it's true!
Old 05-18-2009, 01:44 PM
TRIED HIS GT!

FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT

Originally Posted by 98formulaLS1
I think you're wrong. I'll check my service manual again as to the exact # of CC's this has, and I'm pretty sure the rev limiter is at 10k. I'll double check though, that would be awesome if it's true!
Well.. 10k for a cruiser bike is alot of RPMs. So it is more than likely true. There is the Maxim 1100 that has the 1000 cc sport bike motor in it. With a rev limit of like 11000 RPMs. This i know because my friend has an 85 Maxim.

edit: I think that I might be mistaken. I will look into it a little more though.
http://bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_xj_550_1981.php

that one says classic but if you read all of the other XJ's then they are considered sport bikes and sport touring.

Last edited by FairladyZTT; 05-18-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:07 PM
TRIED HIS GT!

looked into it. I guess the XJ's and XS's are all called the maxim. The XS 1100 was the one that I was referring too. 93hp 1100cc cruiser. Which is actually pretty powerful for its day.

Quick Reply: Just got my first RIDABLE bike! check it out, pics inside