Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

I've been bitten by the bug. I must have a bike. FML

Old 11-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck
Default I've been bitten by the bug. I must have a bike. FML

OK, I've always said I would never ride a bike. I now, for some reason, must. I went to a Ducati dealership and realized my life will not be complete without one. I fell in love with the Monster series. I don't want a sport bike, nor cruiser. This seems to fit exactly what I'm looking for.

Financially this seems like a pretty reasonable idea. The depreciation value is about a grand per year. I bought a 2010 Lexus a couple years ago and am paying about $400 per month in depreciation. Gas consumption is obviously a plus as well.

I want this as a daily driver from March to December (I've relocated to Augusta, GA and the forecast for next week is the mid-70's- so it's warm as fuck here). I will have a beater for the rainy days or icy months.

I'm married with two kids. I don't have the need for speed as much anymore, so I do not plan on crazy racing or extreme riding. What do I do? If anyone had the same dilemma, let me know what you did and if you are glad/disappointed with your decision. Thanks!
Old 11-19-2011, 02:45 AM
Ick
Lemme track yo bike

Ick will become famous soon enough
Default Re: I've been bitten by the bug. I must have a bike. FML

While Duc service intervals have gotten better, I'd go with a Japanese bike. Plenty to choose from. Especially with the mileage you plan to pack on - I've put about 15k on my 919 this year, which would be 2 Ducati service intervals.
If you want new...CB1000R, FZ8, FZ1, SV, Z1000, Ninja 1000...maybe even a Triple.
My 919 is by far the cheapest to maintain, and I can still rip in the mountains, and do 500 mile days.

We've started a family, and I'm trying to squeeze rides (long rides are probably out) - so I'm going to try to just commute on the 919 now. I'm keeping the R6 for the track, however.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:58 AM

trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky trickyricky

If you have the means to maintain a Duc, buy it, you will never regret it. Ducati are just as good at raking in highway miles as anything else out there.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:14 PM
I like grape drank

Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican

My 999 has 14Xxx miles on her now. Bought her in July of last year.

Have been up and down and in and out with issues and both shops that worked on it let me down in one way or another and so left me to be a typical Ducati owner .. Erm mechanic.

Would not trade it for anything though..

Well maybe a desmo :P
Old 11-24-2011, 06:00 PM
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

Suzuki Gladius. Reliable, super affordable, and though I LOVE the shit out of Ducs, this is worry free. Not a dedicated sport, and not a cruiser
Old 11-24-2011, 06:08 PM
I like grape drank

Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican

http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/2719176829.html

First bike right?

BOOM! I win..
Old 11-24-2011, 06:09 PM
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

Originally Posted by Halfrican
+1
Old 11-24-2011, 06:51 PM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

are Duc's really that maintence heavy?

I do love the looks of them thought. Them and buells
Old 11-24-2011, 06:59 PM
I like grape drank

Originally Posted by Tacgnol
are Duc's really that maintence heavy?

I do love the looks of them thought. Them and buells
First 3,000 miles there are usually two - three services. One is more of a checkup than anything. Then the six thousand, oil change, then 12 thousand, then 18 and 20k.

First 3k - costs between 500-1000
6k - 500-7500 valve adjustments costs vary by shop (plus cost of timing belts)
12k - 300
18+20k - 1500-2000

None of those include if you fuck up the clutch plates, stuff starts going because of road wear (plugs/wires), tires, oil and filter costs.

I'm sure rollingstock will chime in..

The new bikes are better from what I hear though, unfortunately, the sports bikes look to japanese for my tastes so not worth the "unique" price tag.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Registered member

BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake

Originally Posted by Halfrican
same thing that came to my mind was a sv.

Quick Reply: I've been bitten by the bug. I must have a bike. FML