Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

It's been a while...

Old 02-21-2010, 08:23 AM
Doing work mofo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down
Default It's been a while...

Since I have owned a bike, last bike I had was a 2000 ninja zx-6r which I bought it new in 2000 and rode for 2 years. I sold the bike in 02' and havent been in the game for 8 years. I am looking at getting a new / slighty used bike before spring time comes around. I parted out my turbo honda and well..... I feel empty inside. And I am decided on getting back in to riding again.

I have gotten approved for the loan to get a bike up to 12k. I dont want to spend that much but I also dont want a 3+ year old bike. I am really looking for something 2007 and up with extremely low miles. I have searched the classifieds on here, ebay, and craigslist. But nothing jumped out to me. Maybe I over looked something?

All the new bikes that have been produced with features I have no idea about. I'm no bike pro, so I am not sure what I am looking at, nor paying for. I have done some reading and read that the new hondas are a big disappointment. So I will suggest what I am looking for in a bike, and maybe you guys can throw me some insight before I finally choose the right bike for me.

1. I want a 1000cc bike. I'm a big guy, I know what I am getting into, I know its not like a 500cc bike.

2. I really like the styles of the yamaha r1, and the honda cbr RR1000. I dont care for the looks of the kawaski but the new gsxr's look beast. I basically cant make my mind up. Also I am looking for a package deal too, coming with the bike i want matching helmets, and jackets. Does this only limit me to dealerships?

3. I plan on using the bike for road trips (me and the wifey), weekend track times, and i dont plan on using it as a daily driver.

4. I am pretty set on engine size, but what else should I be concerned about when buying a newly produced bike? I dont plan on modifying the bike, stock will suit me just fine. I never had a fuel injected bike before, so walking into different changes without knowing the pro's and cons about any new features, I hesitate.

Thanks in advance.
/help
Old 02-24-2010, 03:48 AM
beautiful struggle

Quentin has disabled reputation
Default Re: It's been a while...

I would look into a GSX 750 (yes I know you said liter only) and being a large guy isn't very valid reason for buying a larger motorcycle.A 2000 Ninja 600 is a totally different world to a new liter bike.
I'm sure others well chime in with more advice. And to answer your one question, sometimes you can find a used bike where the seller is selling their gear and any accessories.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Doing work mofo

Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down

Thanks for your reponse.

I kinda jumped the gun on buying a bike. I just got back from the DMV getting this registered and tagged. I saw this ad on craigslist for a 1991 Honda VFR 750. I have always been a fan of VFR's and the bike was really well maintained. So I ran and picked it up. I thought about everything and since I havent rode in a while, this bike would get me back into the jist of things. I plan on keeping this bike for a year and then going to a new model (undecided) next year. Plus with this bike I didnt have to take the loan out. I just used my some of my downpayment and bought this one. I just need a good helmet and some leather.

Tell me what you think?
Plus I love single sided swing arm

Paid 2000 cash monies

The only thing I dont care for, is the rear brake pedal position.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:01 AM
beautiful struggle

Quentin has disabled reputation

Smart choice. Happy/safe riding.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:15 AM
goggles do nothing

goosane has much to be proud ofgoosane has much to be proud ofgoosane has much to be proud ofgoosane has much to be proud ofgoosane has much to be proud ofgoosane has much to be proud ofgoosane has much to be proud ofgoosane has much to be proud ofgoosane has much to be proud ofgoosane has much to be proud ofgoosane has much to be proud of

Nice find dude. If you can afford to insure two bikes you should just hold on to it if you still decide to get a new liter bike.
It'll be good to take on road trips instead of a newer sport bike with a less comfortable riding position.

Taking a trip on my cbr f3 was like riding with an orthopedic back pillow compared to my gsxr.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Ƴᴧᴍᴧӈᴧ

Dark-SRT4 has disabled reputation

So you went from wanting a new 1000cc sportbike to getting a 19 year old 750cc VFR?

If you're happy that's great.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Doing work mofo

Originally Posted by Dark-SRT4
So you went from wanting a new 1000cc sportbike to getting a 19 year old 750cc VFR?

If you're happy that's great.
Yes, I still want a new 1000cc bike. I was approved for the loan, money in hand, and ready to go. I havent rode a bike in 8 years. I thought long and hard about getting something that may be over my head. So I figured I would just get something to bring me back up to par for riding. After riding this bike for an hour in cold weather, I soon realized "its just like riding a bike, you dont forget"(lol). And I wanted something for speed and comfort (you may not think its fast, neither do I, but its fast enough for now). I will get a new bike next year.

Am I 100% happy? No, just didnt want to lay down a 10,000 dollar bike vs a 2000 dollar bike. But I am 75% happy that I am getting back into riding. As well as getting out of turbo honda's. Building imports wasted 20,000 of hard earned money. Mainly because I got bored.

I am content for now. And will be until next year.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Ƴᴧᴍᴧӈᴧ

Dark-SRT4 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by G22Hybrid
Yes, I still want a new 1000cc bike. I was approved for the loan, money in hand, and ready to go. I havent rode a bike in 8 years. I thought long and hard about getting something that may be over my head. So I figured I would just get something to bring me back up to par for riding. After riding this bike for an hour in cold weather, I soon realized "its just like riding a bike, you dont forget"(lol). And I wanted something for speed and comfort (you may not think its fast, neither do I, but its fast enough for now). I will get a new bike next year.

Am I 100% happy? No, just didnt want to lay down a 10,000 dollar bike vs a 2000 dollar bike. But I am 75% happy that I am getting back into riding. As well as getting out of turbo honda's. Building imports wasted 20,000 of hard earned money. Mainly because I got bored.

I am content for now. And will be until next year.
As it was mentioned earlier this may have been the smarter move. At least the VFR is a 'cool' touring bike with the V4 engine and the single sided swinger.

If funds and your bravery permit I highly advise the BMW S1000rr next year, they'll go for about $14k +/- but will be the baddest factory liter bike on the road.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Doing work mofo

Originally Posted by Dark-SRT4
As it was mentioned earlier this may have been the smarter move. At least the VFR is a 'cool' touring bike with the V4 engine and the single sided swinger.

If funds and your bravery permit I highly advise the BMW S1000rr next year, they'll go for about $14k +/- but will be the baddest factory liter bike on the road.
Wow, didnt even know about that bike. I will keep that in mind.

Pure buttsecks

I am still curious about the pro's and cons of fuel injection on a bike?
Old 02-24-2010, 10:23 AM
LaShawn

djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom

If you are looking for a good touring sport bike check out the kawasaki concours....its nuts.