Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

an increase in motorcycle thefts

Old 06-26-2009, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean
Default an increase in motorcycle thefts

I got these in the email today, and just letting everyone be more aware so you wont be a victim.

Dear Sir or Madam,

This letter is to notify your organization of an increase in motorcycle thefts that are occurring in apartment complexes. The thefts appear to occur in the nighttime hours between 10:00 pm and 5:00 am. They occur on all days of the week and do not seemed confined to one particular day. The suspects are targeting apartment complexes due to the large number or motorcycles parked there. It is believed they are using pickup trucks, cargo, and/or mini-vans to load the motorcycles into at which time they are driven away undetected. It does not matter that the motorcycle has a wheel lock engaged or that the ignition keys are not available as the suspects are having the ignitions switched out. There have also been a few instances where bolt cutters have been used to cut the lock on any motorcycles secured to a fixed object.
It is respectfully requested that your organization distribute this letter to your residents or otherwise inform those who own motorcycles and house them on the premises of the situation so that they might take precautions. Some precautions include equipping their motorcycle with LoJack or other GPS tracking equipment, parking their motorcycle as securely as possible in a well-lit, highly visible area, and securing them in an enclosed facility such as a garage if they plan on going out of town.
Residents should be urged to be vigilant of any vans or pickup trucks in the area that they do not recognize especially during late hours. If any suspicious vehicles or activities are seen residents are urged to call the police department immediately: 911 for emergencies or (757) 385-5000 for non-emergencies. If you or any of your residents have any questions please do not hesitate to call me or any member of the Auto Theft Unit. The Auto Theft Unit is available 7 days a week from 8:30 am to 2:00 am. Thank you.

Respectfully,

Detective M.S. Flynn
Virginia Beach Police Dept.
Investigative Division
Municipal Center – Bldg. 11
2509 Princess Anne Rd.
Virginia Beach, VA 23456
(757) 385-4466 Desk
(757) 385-4101 Main Bureau
(757) 385-4746 Fax

Last edited by TheGreatLean; 06-26-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:03 PM

TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean
Default Re: an increase in motorcycle thefts

2nd one

** CRIME ALERT**

The Virginia Beach Police Department Auto Theft Unit is investigating MOTORCYLE THEFTS.

WHERE: Apartment Complex Parking Lots
WHEN: Night and Early Morning Hours
HOW: It is suspected that the suspects are Loading the Motorcycles
into trucks, vans, or storage vehicles (U-Haul and Ryder).
WHY: EASY TARGETS – Many Victims are in the Military
& Leave their Motorcycles Unattended in the Parking
Lots.

HELP PREVENT THE THEFT OF YOUR MOTORCYCLE:

• LOCK UP AND STORE your motorcycle in an enclosed secure area if possible; otherwise chain it up.
• INSTALL AN AUDIBLE ALARM SYSTEM (new systems are sold in most bike shops and mount to front brake area).
• ALWAYS park in well-lit areas.
• ALWAYS report suspicious persons and vehicles in the area to the police.

** IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON AUTO OR MOTORCYLE THEFT RELATED CRIME, CALL 1-800-947-HEAT. IF YOUR TIP LEADS TO AN ARREST, YOU COULD EARN UP TO $25,000 **

PLEASE CONTACT THE VIRGINIA BEACH POLICE DEPARTMENT’S AUTO THEFT UNIT AT 757-385-4101 OR THE CRIME PREVENTION UNIT AT
385-1757 FOR FURTHER INFO.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:38 PM
skeeet.

ksteeeezy is a splendid one to beholdksteeeezy is a splendid one to beholdksteeeezy is a splendid one to beholdksteeeezy is a splendid one to beholdksteeeezy is a splendid one to beholdksteeeezy is a splendid one to beholdksteeeezy is a splendid one to behold

At one point, I use to store my 250 in my 900 square foot apartment.

Can't get any safer than that, eh?

Can anyone recommend a good chain/lock to use until I muster up enough cash for an alarm?
Old 06-28-2009, 08:41 AM
SV haver

chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe

park it by a window you can easily see it and get to it.. Like by your bedroom window that way if they make any noise at night you'd get up and stab a bish
Old 06-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

...and my g/f just took off the comprehensive coverage to her bike to save some money...
Old 06-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Boost is Better

sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx

Had mine stolen before. I was one of the lucky ones to get it back in almost as good a shape though. Put chains on it and get an alarm hooked up so as soon as they lift the bike off the stand it goes off. I have mine set up to go off if the clutch,Front brake, Rear brake, and kick stand are touched. Also has a tilt sensor that will set it off just by lifting it off the stand. Protect yourself! I should have done that to my last one. Maybe i woulda gotten it back sooner than a month.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:04 PM
SV haver

chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe

i got full coverage and my shit is a rat.... it draws as little attention as possible.. all that bling and shit just dont cut no MO'.. in fact it never did; for me anyways.

Last edited by chappe; 06-29-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

This is my one greatest fear... Walking outside in the morning and my bike not being there. I would be so bored after the first day of not having it
Old 06-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Registered member

Randy@FMS is on a distinguished road

brake rotor lock.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:00 PM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

If someone steals my bike they need to get some higher standards. Just another plus of having a naked/"meh" bike.

Good lookin out though

Quick Reply: an increase in motorcycle thefts