Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Ignition trouble..

Old 01-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xgrafcorex has much to be proud ofxgrafcorex has much to be proud ofxgrafcorex has much to be proud ofxgrafcorex has much to be proud ofxgrafcorex has much to be proud ofxgrafcorex has much to be proud ofxgrafcorex has much to be proud ofxgrafcorex has much to be proud ofxgrafcorex has much to be proud ofxgrafcorex has much to be proud ofxgrafcorex has much to be proud of
Default Ignition trouble..

This is my first winter with a bike, but I recently had my FZ6 serviced (routine work, no problems) and since then my ignition has been not quite as smooth. By that I mean everything from the key sliding into the ignition to turning it. There is no issue with the ignition as far as actually starting up the bike.

So today I was going to go ride since it wasn't quite as cold as it has been some days. This time, I got the key in but it will not turn! I tried messing with it for a little bit, but got no results.

Anyone have any ideas? The thought of WD-40 crossed my mind, but I don't have any at the moment.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Between Bikes

pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty
Default Re: Ignition trouble..

Probably just need to lube it up. If you can, try to find some sort of lubricant with teflon/silicone in it. Do not use anything with grease as it will attract dirt, eventually making the problem worse. From what you describe it sounds like the key may be a bit twisted or something.

Oh yeah, don't use graphite or WD-40 either. I've heard horror stories of people using graphite, and what can happen is that the graphite will find it's way to the back of the tumblers, act as a conductor, and short out the ignition switch. WD-40 can also attract contaminants from what I understand.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

sir loin will become famous soon enough

dip your key in motor oil and stick it into the ignition.
do you store your bike outside? or was it kept outside by the previous owner?
Old 01-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

BatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by sir loin
I am having the same problem I think. My key often gives me trouble and will not turn from off to on, and sometimes will not go into the lock position. I thought my key was getting dull . My is kept in a garage but is ridden in all weather and sometimes sits in the elements at work.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Full-time New Guy

Scottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud of

I have a similar problem with my key as well. More so with the gas cap.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Gerber

Lil' G is an unknown quantity at this point

iv never had that problem with my bike .. but the equipment at work iv had alot of problems with .. over time dust getting in it makes it hard to turn and to get in and out .. or with this cold weather iv had problems with water freezing .. the oil deal seems to help .. and wd-40 will attract dirt ..
Old 01-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

xgrafcorex has much to be proud ofxgrafcorex has much to be proud ofxgrafcorex has much to be proud ofxgrafcorex has much to be proud ofxgrafcorex has much to be proud ofxgrafcorex has much to be proud ofxgrafcorex has much to be proud ofxgrafcorex has much to be proud ofxgrafcorex has much to be proud ofxgrafcorex has much to be proud ofxgrafcorex has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pasty
Probably just need to lube it up. If you can, try to find some sort of lubricant with teflon/silicone in it. Do not use anything with grease as it will attract dirt, eventually making the problem worse. From what you describe it sounds like the key may be a bit twisted or something.

Oh yeah, don't use graphite or WD-40 either. I've heard horror stories of people using graphite, and what can happen is that the graphite will find it's way to the back of the tumblers, act as a conductor, and short out the ignition switch. WD-40 can also attract contaminants from what I understand.
I'll try and find something. The key is fine though, it opens the gas tank and helmet lock with no problem.

Originally Posted by sir loin
The bike is new and I keep it outside. It was sitting for a number of days with a cover over it. Seems like it got more and more stiff then just stopped working all together.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

sir loin will become famous soon enough

my side door gets the same way during the winter.
just put some lube in there and it should be fine.