Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Icon Field Armor

Old 11-06-2004, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Icon Field Armor

Anyone have any experience with this armor? Ive been looking around at some gear and I was looking at this. It seems like a pretty cool item, being able to wear it under jackets and everything. Just wanted to know if anyones ever tried one on or seen one in person. Thanks.

http://www.newenough.com/armor_icon_...t_pictures.htm
(I dont know how to post pics) lol
Old 11-06-2004, 02:13 PM
Your Kneegrow

Chino has disabled reputation
Default Re: Icon Field Armor

looks pretty protective
Old 11-06-2004, 03:42 PM

mpg9999 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have read both good and bad things about alot of the Icon stuff. Looks can be decieving, and it doesnt appear to be CE certified. Personally I'd go with this: http://www.highvelocitygear.com/armor.html
Old 11-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

i wear a similar unit from Six Six One under my jersey when i ride dirt bikes, can't even tell its there

Old 11-06-2004, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

Alwayslast is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an older Rockgardn Flak Jacket
similar to this one

Originally Posted by Del La Sol 1320
i wear a similar unit from Six Six One under my jersey when i ride dirt bikes, can't even tell its there

Old 11-07-2004, 12:25 PM

suprPHREAK has disabled reputation

Most gear like this has MX intentions...but Icon gear specifically states all its stuff is for the street...is there a difference? Somehow I would think asphalt is a little more abbraisive than dirt if you slide out. Just a thought, but I too have considered the Icon gear, since its unbearably hot in the summer wearing full leathers.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

Alwayslast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suprPHREAK
Most gear like this has MX intentions...but Icon gear specifically states all its stuff is for the street...is there a difference? Somehow I would think asphalt is a little more abbraisive than dirt if you slide out. Just a thought, but I too have considered the Icon gear, since its unbearably hot in the summer wearing full leathers.
i guess anything more than just a shirt while riding is better for your own protection, but most people wear that underneath their riding jacket.
i sometimes wear my armour underneath my racing suit. sometimes because it's a pain in the ass to suit up.
if you plan on getting something like that for riding, get something that comes with some elbow protection.

other brands to consider, joe rocket, dianese(expensive), Fox......
Old 11-09-2004, 01:59 AM

velocitygear has disabled reputation
Default Re: Armor

Hello.

John Franklin with VelocityGear here to add some important information on body armor manufacturers and CE ratings. I found this post after someone followed the above link to our site.

Many manufactureres do not have any testing procedures for protective apparel whatsoever. Unlike Europe, the US doesn't have any personal protection standards except for helmets. Therefore, if you area looking for tested and approved protective apparel then only something CE certified will do.

More than a few companies take advantage of their customers when it comes to CE certification. SixSixOne for example sews a CE tag into their body armor, however it's not CE certified. CE tags should always have a specific certificate number that can be verified by the testing agency in Europe. This is typically done via email for companies that do have an actual CE certified product.

CE specific's:

There are a few different standards to look for when purchasing body armor and they are as follows:

EN1621-1 applies to shoulder and elbow guards and is the most current standard for these pieces.

EN1621-2 Level 1 applies to back protectors and is the starting point for a good back protector.

EN1621-2 Level 2 also applies to back protectors EXCEPT this is a high performance CE rating that absorbs 50% more than level 1. This is the highest current standard used in todays marketplace.

Companies such as Dainese, (CE certified) FOX (not certified) Joe Rocket (not certified) 661 (not certified) do not offer any piece of protective apparel that can outperform a level 2 CE rating. Furthermore, Dainese uses and aluminum inner core that will not absorb impacts after a crash, much like a helmet it must be replaced after a crash, or if you accidentally step on it...

With that being said our armor is currently the lowest priced Level 2 Ce certified and verifiable body armor available anywhere in the world. If you are serious about protection don't settle for less than a level 2 back protector and make sure it's VERIFIABLE. Too many companies are taking advantage of their customers lack of knowledge on this subject.

For more information on our product please visit our site belowhttp://www.highvelocitygear.com

Here's a crash tested online review of our armor:

http://forums.cbrworld.net/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=60431

and lastly whatever you do read this page on the current trend in protective apparel manufacturing:
http://www.highvelocitygear.com/CE_information.html
Old 11-09-2004, 04:05 AM
Registered Member

seanazzy is an unknown quantity at this point

i had a pair of icon gloves and laid my bike down once with no problem to my bike or clothing, but the gloves were tore up!
Old 11-09-2004, 06:41 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

good info velocity thanks

Quick Reply: Icon Field Armor