Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

I dropped a hex bolt in my gas tank. What do I do?

Old 04-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IRR0MPIBLE has disabled reputation
Default I dropped a hex bolt in my gas tank. What do I do?

Well, I just picked up a ninja 636 yesterday, and all is well with it except that the key wouldn't open the gas door. So I decided to undo all the little hex bolts in the ring around the gas door in order to be able to put gas in it. Well that worked, but I dropped one of the bolts in the tank. I looked in there with a flashlight and I don't see it, but I can't see everything, so I'm hoping it's sitting in there somewhere.
I thought of getting one of those little extendable things with a magnet on the end to see if I can get it out that way. That's my only idea so far. What's the worst case scenario? The bolt could've fallen into wherever the gas goes? And then what would need to be done to get it out?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated!
Old 04-08-2010, 06:30 PM
TRIED HIS GT!

FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT
Default Re: I dropped a hex bolt in my gas tank. What do I do?

I would try the magnet I guess.... just be careful sticking objects into your fuel. At the very least I would get a pump... for a couple bucks from walmart. Pump the tank... pull it off... pull the pump out and get the screw out. I wouldn't leave it in there... the slim chance that it might do something... why take that chance.

Every done 90 and then the engine shut down all of a sudden because the fuel line is blocked? What if it happens while you are in mid lean, in a corner? I dont think that it is a smart move taking chances on 2 wheels.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

I have absolutely no plans of ever starting the bike again until it's removed. That didn't even enter my mind. I just hope I don't have to go into some huge disassembly to get it out, that's what I'm worried about.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:37 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

the inlet for the fuel to get out the tank is 1/4 or 3/16 the little hex bolt would have to be perfectly alligned to even think of getting caught in it...

get a magnet like you were talking about and fish it out...

its more than likely towards the rear of the tank
Old 04-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

I can see it in the tank now, so that's good. Unfortunately, I don't have one of those things with a magnet on the tip, and I can't think of another way to get it out, so I'll just have to wait.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:43 AM
beautiful struggle

Quentin has disabled reputation

Yep try a magnet like you said. If all else fails, take of the tank and turn it upside down till it comes out. Not sure how a 636 is but I can take off the tank of my Ninja 500 in like 5 mins. Only one bolt.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Full-time New Guy

Scottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud of

Just take the tank off. I'm not sure how fuel injected bikes work, but my carbd bike only has one fuel line coming from the tank. Undo the tank enough to get to the fuel line easily, clamp the fuel line and then undo it from the other end (leading to the fuel pump/engine). Then unclamp the fuel line and let the fuel drain into a bucket or something, then turn the tank upside down to get the bolt out.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

I managed to get it out with a magnet. Thanks for all the input, everyone
Old 04-09-2010, 07:57 PM
CPL Us Army

jpick_aap_cpp has disabled reputation

Good stuff i was going to suggest any autoparts store sells long magnets.. But you got it! nice work.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:52 AM
TRIED HIS GT!

FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT

take a hatchet.. beat a hole in the tank.. reach in and take the bolt out..

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Quick Reply: I dropped a hex bolt in my gas tank. What do I do?