Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

How much it takes to own a motorcycle

Old 01-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97lude has disabled reputation
Default How much it takes to own a motorcycle

I have been riding motorcycles periodically for 7 years. I used to ride 200cc dirt bikes, then my dad got a dual sport 200cc bike that I learned how to ride on the road, then he got a 1200cc harley sportster that he would let me ride on the road. Two of my friends own a GSXR 600 and a Ninja 250R, that I ride every once in awhile.

I have a huge interest in motorcycles, and have been trying to get one for a long time. Now I actually work quite a bit and feel like I could afford to get one. My goal is to buy a Honda CBR600RR. I know I will get flamed as it will be my first bike and what not, but that's not what this thread is about so please leave that out of it.

I have been trying to figure out how much it will cost to own the motorcycle. I looked up insurance quotes and loan rates with my bank and have averaged it out to cost me ~$220/month for insurance for a bike and my car plus the loan. After I get a good idea of how much it's going to cost me, I plan on taking that much money out for a couple months and putting it into my savings to see how difficult it would be to own it. Then putting that money towards the loan.

I plan on spending ~4k on the bike itself. My real question is how much monthly maintenance + gas (I will ride whenever I can, I don't commute to class) do you guys averagely spend? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Registered member

LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE
Default Re: How much it takes to own a motorcycle

It all really depends on how much you're going to ride. You figure 93 gas is about 3 bucks a gallons. So like 15-16 bucks a fill up and thats going to get you 150ish to a tank maybe more depending on how you ride. Maintance wise as far as oil changes and stuff would be similar pricing wise maybe more depending on the type of oil you use. For example I bought full race syn for my bike and it was about 100 bucks an oil change (4 qts of oil, k&n filter and new oil plug gasket.) if you do normal bike oil its about 40-50 an oil change. It really all just depends on how you plan to ride the bike.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:12 AM
Registered Member

Cool. Yeah I knew that oil and filters were more expensive for bikes. I plan on riding every day that it's nice out. The time frame I'm shooting for is anywhere between March-May
Old 01-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

Originally Posted by LeetPIE
It all really depends on how much you're going to ride. You figure 93 gas is about 3 bucks a gallons. So like 15-16 bucks a fill up and thats going to get you 150ish to a tank maybe more depending on how you ride. Maintance wise as far as oil changes and stuff would be similar pricing wise maybe more depending on the type of oil you use. For example I bought full race syn for my bike and it was about 100 bucks an oil change (4 qts of oil, k&n filter and new oil plug gasket.) if you do normal bike oil its about 40-50 an oil change. It really all just depends on how you plan to ride the bike.
Your gas tank is huge, highest I spent was like $11, but I try to not let the tank get REAL low.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:31 AM
got 7.62?

eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited

Its all about having a toy.. If you have money to play with then do it.. If not.. Dont do it
Old 01-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by eXploited
Its all about having a toy.. If you have money to play with then do it.. If not.. Dont do it
I understand that. That's why I'm trying to be rational about it to make sure I have proper income.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:06 AM
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3

200 a month for insurance? From where? I paid $45 a month for my first year and just got dropped to $30 monthly on the second. 04 r6.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:49 AM
LaShawn

djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom

What the fuck bike do you ride?

OP: Get a ninja 500 an here is what I pay, 12 bucks to fill up and about 220 a tank, oil changes 35 bucks cause I do them myself. Tires about 170 when I get them changed. And my bike IS my daily driver.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by j4k3
200 a month for insurance? From where? I paid $45 a month for my first year and just got dropped to $30 monthly on the second. 04 r6.
200 is my insurance for a bike car and the loan
Old 01-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Registered member

Acrytet70 has disabled reputation

Lolz at 5 gallon tank.....

Quick Reply: How much it takes to own a motorcycle