Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

How much power does a single HID require?

Old 12-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BretSV has disabled reputation
Default How much power does a single HID require?

I'm considering streeting my CRF150R, there are some aftermarket lighting stators available, 50 and 75w output models. Not going to use any turn signals or gauges, so the only other power draw would be a very small LED tail light. I'm wondering if 50 or 75 watts would be enough to ignite a single HID bulb.

I'm very electronically stupid, so if I'm using the wrong terminology sorry, don't know if I should be asking about a figure in watts, hurtz, amps, volts, or whats.

Last edited by BretSV; 12-22-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:33 PM
RIP Chris Schader

g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x
Default Re: How much power does a single HID require?

i have a ballast and bulb from a 2008 corvette i'll sell pretty cheap. it lights up fine when i hooked it up to my 4wheeler battery, so as long as you can keep the batt charged youre fine!
Old 12-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Registered member

Well this bike would have no battery, just a lighting stator putting out 50, or 75, watts of power, I need to get clarification on that, because two sites for the same product list two different output specs, one says 50w, one says 75w. But it would have an on/off switch, so I would kick start the bike, then once it is running turn on the headlight, if its even possible.

I know they say xenons actually require less power than halogen bulbs when running, but I've been told they require a bit of power to actually ignite the ballast, and the only start up figure I can find for an HID bulb is in volts, and I don't know how that compares to what this bikes output would be.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:26 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

50w will usually do it, you might have to hold the throttle open and get the charging system spinning at a lil higher RPM to get it to fire (puts out less power at idle), but that's worst case. There's big differences in different models of HID's, so that'll come into play also.

Running LED tail lights will help keep the draw down. LED's draw next to no power.

You can also run a capacitor, that'll help with the sudden draw when the HID tries to fire. Simple to wire, and easy to hide. If the power draw spike is too big, it'll pull power from the ignition, and could kill the bike. The cap would help prevent that.

I gotta ask though, what the hell do you do with a street ready 150?
Old 12-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Registered member

I live a mile from my school, so just for riding to class. I wouldn't put any real significant street miles on it or I'd be changing the oil and checking the valves every week.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

I'm pretty sure most car HID's draw about 35w

THey are far more efficient per lumen than halogen bulbs..
Old 12-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

the power of 3.5 midgets
Old 12-31-2008, 04:43 AM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AFwestPunk
the power of 3.5 midgets
10 watts per midget? The latest generation of midgets typically put out about 15 watts each dude!