Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

how to get a job dealing with bikes/mx

Old 12-29-2006, 09:12 PM
DaveMcDirt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
davethacraker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how to get a job dealing with bikes/mx

so i was wondering,how many of you work at shops?and how did you get into it?...ive been all about riding dirtbikes since i was like 10years old and im 20 now..i always bounce from construction job to construction job and id love to get into working somewhere around bikes,learn more about everything,id even be a shop bitch lol does anyone know of any shops that are hiring?..if anybody knows how to get into this field of work please post up
Old 12-30-2006, 06:53 AM
hatrs make me famous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: how to get a job dealing with bikes/mx

fill out an application?

you could probably get a job in the parts dept, or as a "shop bitch" with only a small amount of motorcycle experience. rarely will you find an entry level position as a mechanic.

i've worked at almost every (japanese) bike shop in the 757 over the last 10-11 years, but it all started b/c i got lucky. my pops is in charge of all the motorcycle maintenance for the city of va beach's oceanfront police, and when he was at honda of va beach one day getting parts for them, the service manager asked him if he knew anyone wanting a job wrenching. he asked me if i knew anyone, and all i could say was "me!me!me!", lol. that's how i got my foot in the door.

as much as i hate to reccomend it, you could always go to mmi or another motorcycle specific trade school. though almost every service manager i've ever worked for though has said the same thing, those schools are fine and all, but they'd rather have someone with on-the-job experience any day. just because someone knows what a book says, doesn't mean the can actually do it, especially when it comes to problem solving. the problem is getting in a shop to actually GET some experience.

why not try getting to know the people at your local shops. once they're comfortable in the fact that you're not some punk kid, it'll make it alot easier to get a job, even an entry level job. gotta start somewhere, and it's easier for a manger to hire someone that they know a little about over some random guy/girl that just walks through the door looking for a job.

parts guys don't generally have alot of experience with the inner workings of motorcycles, which sucks for customers that do, lol. it gets annoying real fast. take it upon yourself to study a bit, get to know everything you can about bikes, and you'll have alot better luck finding a job in the industry. your customers will appreciate the fact that your not just a desk jockey too.