VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Cycle Corner (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/)
-   -   Is a Honda motorcycle dealer supposed to sell knock off bikes? (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/honda-motorcycle-dealer-supposed-sell-knock-off-bikes-373452/)

Zack 12-02-2010 10:50 AM

Is a Honda motorcycle dealer supposed to sell knock off bikes?

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/mcy/2091335707.html

Chinese knock off of a CRF50, being sold at a Honda dealer, side by side with an actual Honda CRF50. Something just seems wrong with that to me. I know they are probably buying them for 200 or 300 a pop, marking them up to 900, and making 600 a piece, which is probably more then they make on a real CRF50. Just doesn't seem right to have a factory dealer selling some junk like this. To the average person buying a 50 for their kid, the bikes both look the same, and since they are buying either one from honda, they are going to assume its a good bike. I know Honda of VB sucks, always have since I was a little kid, but this is a little over the edge IMO.

Opinions? Wish I could report this dealer to Honda, I know there's TONS of people that would back me in saying they are horrible.

JROW 12-02-2010 10:51 AM

Re: Is a Honda motorcycle dealer supposed to sell knock off bikes?

They can sell whatever they want. If it's new then they obv have to be a licensed dealer, but they can sell used shit, whatever, and however they like.

MattnTheHATch 12-02-2010 10:55 AM

I dont think they can "sell whatever they want" if they are a certified Honda dealer. Honda must have strict rules as to what kind of operations can be done. I know thats how it is with Honda cars.

I could be wrong though. Motos may be completely different from autos.

4BangerCivic 12-02-2010 11:25 AM

Them selling a Chinese knock-off is the same as selling a Yamaha-knock-off. Either way, i'm sure Honda (corporate headquarters) would not be pleased.

why don't you report them? HQ has a phone number

boredom 12-02-2010 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Zack (Post 6742942)
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/mcy/2091335707.html

Chinese knock off of a CRF50, being sold at a Honda dealer, side by side with an actual Honda CRF50. Something just seems wrong with that to me. I know they are probably buying them for 200 or 300 a pop, marking them up to 900, and making 600 a piece, which is probably more then they make on a real CRF50. Just doesn't seem right to have a factory dealer selling some junk like this. To the average person buying a 50 for their kid, the bikes both look the same, and since they are buying either one from honda, they are going to assume its a good bike. I know Honda of VB sucks, always have since I was a little kid, but this is a little over the edge IMO.

Opinions? Wish I could report this dealer to Honda, I know there's TONS of people that would back me in saying they are horrible.

you should totally report them, and file a claim with the BBB. this has me fuming hot that people would try to pull a profit in ways such as this. also, if you start a petition/boycott of them and/or honda i will be the first to back you.

Stea1thy 12-02-2010 12:13 PM

if they are knowingly selling something that they are saying is something else...then that's technically fraud....you should report them.

edit:
ever see an at&t store or authorized dealer or authorized reseller, sell one of those cheap piece of crap chinese iphone knockoffs that are like $50 and sell it as a brand new iphone 4g? HELL NO, if Apple or AT&T found out, that store would face fines and shit beyond belief

JROW 12-02-2010 12:41 PM

I may have missed it, but didn't see where OP said they were calling them something they weren't? If so then duh, that's obv not right.

4BangerCivic 12-02-2010 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Stea1thy (Post 6743125)
ever see an at&t store or authorized dealer or authorized reseller, sell one of those cheap piece of crap chinese iphone knockoffs that are like $50 and sell it as a brand new iphone 4g? HELL NO, if Apple or AT&T found out, that store would face fines and shit beyond belief

I don't think they're calling these chinese motorcycles Honda's. I think they're selling them as chinese motorcycles. The OP's conflict involves whether or not its morally right for a Honda dealership to sell a knock-off of its product. Like going into a Rolex distributor and them having a section where you can buy a Rolexx

Ez8 12-03-2010 09:29 AM

I work at Honda of Norfolk as a salesman and while I don't like what Honda of Virginia beach is doing, they are with their rights to sell whatever they want as long as they don't call the knock off a Honda. The rules that Honda corp. has laid out is pretty lax on what we can sell, as long as they tell somebody before they buy it that it's not a Honda then there's no issue.

Zack 12-03-2010 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ez8 (Post 6744846)
I work at Honda of Norfolk as a salesman and while I don't like what Honda of Virginia beach is doing, they are with their rights to sell whatever they want as long as they don't call the knock off a Honda. The rules that Honda corp. has laid out is pretty lax on what we can sell, as long as they tell somebody before they buy it that it's not a Honda then there's no issue.

Wow. Cant believe Honda is kosher with letting one of their dealerships, sell copies of their bike that some chinese place ripped off, and is now selling more then honda because of super cheap parts and crap quality. Under the same roof as a honda product at that, so the buyer can only assume its some type of quality or the honda dealer wouldn't sell it. Doesn't make sense to me.