Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Hey guys.. clutch question

Old 07-22-2006, 08:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AlWaYsBoOsTiN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hey guys.. clutch question

I have a 1990 Yamaha FZR 600 and I put a new clutch in it today. Got it all put back together and it looked like it would grab great. a lil too great.. I cant get it to let go. I have adjusted the clutch cable at the lever all the way out and even then.. when I pull it and try to roll.. I can feel the clutch is still engaged. So my question is.. Is there another spot that you can adjust the clutch. I havent taken apart the other side yet.. but If I try to start the bike in first w/ the clutch pulled in.. the bike still trys to grab and pull the bike. Is this normal? Thanks guys
Old 07-22-2006, 08:35 PM
1505/2000

execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon
Default Re: Hey guys.. clutch question

take the clutch cover off and try to see if it's releasing the clutch's with the bike off of course. it also can show you whats going on etc..
i did a clutch not to long ago on a bike and it had a little ball bearing that fell out. it was in the middle of the clutch pack. it would push a stem out releasing the clutch.. it would be very ez for it to roll out and you'd never know it...

i'm sure steve could help you more..
Old 07-22-2006, 08:48 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

if the ball bearing fell out, it'd just have ALOT of slack in the clutch. it wouldn't do what he's describing. i don't remember off the top of my head if the fzr has a judder spring or not, but on some bikes, there's a big concave washer that goes on the inner clutch basket before the clutch plates go in. the first plate that goes on is the "odd plate" it's the only plate that is thinner across it's face than the rest. if you put a normal fiber in first instead of the one odd plate, it won't let the clutch disengage properly. alot of aftermarket clutches don't use the one odd plate, all the plates are the same, so you have to take out the judder spring and the big flat washer behind it. basically the judder spring and it's seat look like big washers, about 5in or so in diameter, but they're only about 1/8 thick.

man, it's alot easier just to show you than to try to describe it.

anyway, what kind of clutch did you put in it?
Old 07-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Banned

I just bought a stock clutch. I am trying to get it right for now. I bought this bike all fucked up and I am trying to get it back to a decent condition. After I get tires... About the only thing left would be getting the frame redone. but I am thinking I will sell the bike. I am kind of undecided. oh and I didnt see anything like you were describing.. all of the plates looked pretty much identical. If there was a different one then I didnt see it. There is alot of slack int he clutch... and if you want to come and show me.. feel free.. I will not stop you.... I will just have to take the cover off again.. nothing big. but so I know yal understand. The clutch cable is all the way out.. as tight as it can be. and when I squeeze it... it releases enough for me to push it in gear but I can feel it dragging. Kinda like stuck brakes. the other thing is.. I know if I started it.. It would slowly pull me forward while holding the clutch. It is not a hard pull but still there.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

wwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud of

did you coat all the plates with oil before you put them in? if you didn't they can lock up on you.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:35 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

acually, you're supposed to let the plates soak in clean oil for about a half an hour before you put them in.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:59 PM
Banned

oops.. I didnt hear back for a couple of days so I went ahead and did it. I didnt soak anything though. So I hope that it holds up. Wish it luck guys.. It has been 3 days since the change and seems ok so far.
Rich