Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Have a Few Questions for Motorcycle Owners/Previous Owners

Old 04-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn
Default Have a Few Questions for Motorcycle Owners/Previous Owners

I have been looking at sport bikes (Triumph 675 Daytona) and was wondering what:
1. Your month payments are?
2. What type of insurance do you have on it?
3. How much is it? (insurance)
4. What kind of bike do you have?
5. How do you like it/what others did you try?
6. Did you start off small (250) or start medium(600)? Is either way better (in your opinion)
7. Any other info you have to share you think might be useful
Old 04-18-2011, 04:08 PM
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded
Default Re: Have a Few Questions for Motorcycle Owners/Previous Owners

Sportbikers in the 757 typically don't have insurance

And they start with 600ccs
Old 04-18-2011, 04:09 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

Originally Posted by secretnoforn
I have been looking at sport bikes (Triumph 675 Daytona) and was wondering what:
6. Did you start off small (250) or start medium(600)? Is either way better (in your opinion)
every bike and insurance amount varies with the bike/age/riders age/driving record etc...

just call allstate/geico/statefarm/nationwide and ask for a quote for a 675 triumph and they will give you one and you will know what it costs
Old 04-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn

I understand the variances in age, driving record, marriage status etc and I will eventually either call or log on to USAA and get a quote. I just wanted to see what kind of demographic there was out there so I could get a rough idea and to read other peoples experiences.

And they start with 600ccs
Regardless of ccs, my point with that question was to see if people started off small or if they started in the medium class sports bike range and how that affected or didn't affect their ability/experience in riding
Old 04-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I understand the variances in age, driving record, marriage status etc and I will eventually either call or log on to USAA and get a quote. I just wanted to see what kind of demographic there was out there so I could get a rough idea and to read other peoples experiences.

Why does that matter, are you planning on switching to a different demographic...? Just call the insurance agent and see what they say. It's their job.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

You have to kill the fun in everything don't you...
Old 04-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

My last bike was my newest and it was an 03' Yamaha R6, do not have one currently:

1. Your month payments are? Paid for in full

2. What type of insurance do you have on it? Full coverage, it is easy to steal them

3. How much is it? (insurance) 70ish

4. What kind of bike do you have? Yamaha R6

5. How do you like it/what others did you try? Im a small guy, 150lbs and 5'8". Suzukis felt ok but felt like toys, very light in the steering and a little too nimble/ Kawi's are wider and feel alot bigger, you sit more centered in the bike, not my style/ Yamaha you sit a little higher mounted, more above the bike in a "sprint" stance if that makes any sense, plus they have always been smaller than the other brands, this is a perfect fit for me.

I started on and have always owned 600's. I am small enough to be fast on a 6 and personally I don't feel the added weight of a litre bike in the turns is worth the extra speed, but I never road raced a motorcycle. You will outgrow a 250 in a matter of months and I personally do not think they are safe to ride in traffic to begin with. 250's don't stop or accelerate worth a shit and you will wish you could just ease on the throttle of a 6 when merging on the the interstate instead of finding your low gear and giving it all it has to avoid being ran over on a 250. Tiny tires dont help either. Of course it all depends on your comfort level and your ability to maintain throttle control on a 6 if you are trying to start on one.

Wear your gear and start off on country roads and parking lots until you feel comfortable enough to hit the streets. Number one wrong most new riders do is ride stiff. Keep your elbows relaxed to absorb bumps and stay loose. Be one with the machine (lulz, but for serious). Don't be afriad and maintain confidence or you will fuck up, it's just as much mental as it is physical. But don't get cocky, you can end up on the pavment in the blink of an eye and sliding to your fate. Also, always ride on the defensive, most cars and trucks are afraid of you, IF they know you are there. You need to make sure that you position yourself in a way that the other drivers on the road can see you. SOme people just don;t give a fuck about anyone else and will cut it close, you have to be able to predict these things. You see alot more on a bike than you do in a car, peoples faces, peoples hands, you will pick up on the predicting part. Other than that start slow and have fun.

Last edited by The real Ryan; 04-18-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:04 AM
Registered Member

Great response thank you. This is the type of response I was looking for. +rep
Old 04-19-2011, 05:26 AM
The Cat's Meow

And2TheRepublic And2TheRepublic And2TheRepublic And2TheRepublic And2TheRepublic And2TheRepublic And2TheRepublic And2TheRepublic And2TheRepublic And2TheRepublic And2TheRepublic

Depending on your driving record and age, you may not be able to afford full coverage. It can get really expensive. Even if you are making payments, full coverage is not mandatory. Just call around and get some quotes.

My first bike was a kawasaki ninja 250, and after 2 weeks i hated it. Once you get comfortable on it, you will want to upgrade. Like the previous guy said, get a 600cc if you are looking for a sportbike.

I currently own a Suzuki GSXR 600, and i am happy with it. I have owned a Yamaha R6, but prefer the GSXR. It's just a matter comfortability and taste.

I would also suggest taking the motorcycle course. I am not sure if it is required in Virginia. In Texas, you can just take the test.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:03 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

1. Your month payments are? Paid in full.
2. What type of insurance do you have on it? liability + comprehensive (theft)
3. How much is it? (insurance) Goes down if you have lo-jack + other vehicle anti theft devices. I paid $540 for the year, so a little under $50 a month.
4. What kind of bike do you have? Honda CBR600RR
5. How do you like it/what others did you try? I've owned honda's before. Rock solid bikes, good all around. Great riding positions.
6. Did you start off small (250) or start medium(600)? Is either way better (in your opinion)? 600 is ideal. I'm too much of a pussy to do a 1L bike. . .plus 1L bikes make for shitty riders. Sure, they're fast in a straight line but modern 600's are just as fast as older 1L's and same fun in the turn. Learning curve on a 1L is a LOT steeper, you have to use the throttle to help you turn. They have more down low torque, so too much throttle and you're going under.
7. Any other info you have to share you think might be useful. Don't skimp on gear. I will at min wear gloves and a helmet and 99.999% of the time a jacket.

Quick Reply: Have a Few Questions for Motorcycle Owners/Previous Owners