VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Cycle Corner (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/)
-   -   Generic Motorcycle Drivers license question (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/generic-motorcycle-drivers-license-question-406190/)

SortaFlush 07-26-2011 02:29 PM

Generic Motorcycle Drivers license question

I am going to be getting my M-Class license soon, I am almost done building my bobber. I am building a 1982 Hond GL500, however I am building it without turn signals (atleast I'm pretty sure I am) and obviously would like to take the M-Class test at DMV on my bike. I have searched, googled and even went to DMV's website. If I am missing something, shame on me. However, for VA State Inspection the turn signals are not required since hand motions can be used. But if they are there, they must work. My question is, do I need turn signals on my bike to take the test at DMV? Thanks for any information! Hope to see some of you guys out riding soon.

ryanherington 07-26-2011 02:31 PM

Re: Generic Motorcycle Drivers license question

Take the motorcycle safety course through harley and you don't have to take the test at dmv, and you'll use their bike to take the test on

ufctapout 07-26-2011 02:36 PM

Whichever bike you show up to DMV to take test on, must have inspection sticker.

So technically no you don't need them to take test at DMV.

SortaFlush 07-27-2011 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by ufctapout (Post 7249828)
Whichever bike you show up to DMV to take test on, must have inspection sticker.

So technically no you don't need them to take test at DMV.

Awesome, thanks. I appreciate it, I looked and looked but couldn't find an answer and haven't had a chance to stop by DMV while they are open.

and Ryan, I'd rather take it on the bike I'm building since it's super light and I can maneuver it pretty well.

crxmadness 07-27-2011 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by SortaFlush (Post 7250753)
and Ryan, I'd rather take it on the bike I'm building since it's super light and I can maneuver it pretty well.

Take the class at tcc or harley, regardless of whether or not you think you need to or not. If you cant handle a 250cc honda rebel then you wont be able to handle your bobber.

Halfrican 07-27-2011 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by SortaFlush (Post 7250753)
Awesome, thanks. I appreciate it, I looked and looked but couldn't find an answer and haven't had a chance to stop by DMV while they are open.

Its a bobber, they don't always make the smallest turns :p

If you don't mind waiting a wee bit, sign up for a MSF class....you get to ride their little gl250's and have your license. Plus they cover anything you drop.

Halfrican 07-27-2011 04:51 AM

Yeah wow, great minds.

SortaFlush 07-28-2011 08:01 AM

I am taking the MSF course at TCC for sure, no matter what. My father rode motorcycles all his life so he taught me a few things and I have some riding experience, but I would like to be licensed at least for when I am ready since the classes aren't avail for a while :-\.

Also, my bobber is just a GL500 that I've modified a little bit. I will post a build thread soon, but I haven't raked the front end, still the factory fork setup.

ufctapout 07-28-2011 08:04 AM

I took the DMV test on my dual sport (basically a street legal dirt bike). It was the perfect bike for that task.

Doing the slalom/cone course would NOT be fun on a bobber.

Halfrican 07-28-2011 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by ufctapout (Post 7253781)
I took the DMV test on my dual sport (basically a street legal dirt bike). It was the perfect bike for that task.

Doing the slalom/cone course would NOT be fun on a bobber.

I don't even remember the course. I just remember scraping pegs on the last long turn through cones on the little gl250 and the instructor blowing is whistle...coming over to me, lifting up my visor and saying "Your smiling under therer aren't yah...."

Then he gave me a 100 for the test. :thup: