Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Gear Questions. (Yes, I read the Sticky)

Old 07-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Jump In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
integra-t has disabled reputation
Default Gear Questions. (Yes, I read the Sticky)

So I finally got my bike. I have bought two helmets already, and am looking into jackets. I have some simple questions for you guys who have been ridin for a little longer than me.

EDIT: I am now looking for a mesh jacket. 44 fit me in leather jackets, but do you guys think I should go a size up (large) or stay the same size when it comes to mesh jackets? I hear mesh fits much tighter than traditional leather jackets do.

1) What jackets and gloves do you prefer? I am aware of all of the top brands (Teknic, Icon, Alpinestars) and I want to invest in a good jacket and pair of gloves that will last. Are there any negative or positive experiences you have had with your jacket that mey sway my decision making? I want to buy one jacket and set of gloves, not three sets that continually rip and wear.

2) I'm 6'1 and 180 lbs. What size would you recommend? I usually wear a medium in clothing, but everyone tells me to get a jacket that fits tightly instead of one that fits like my clothing would. Maybe there is someone who is the same build as me that could tell me what they wear? (I'd really appreciate it)

3) Where did you buy your gear? I know some places will be more than others of course. I find that more experienced people always know the good places to go when it comes to things like buying gear. Have you ever stopped somewhere that had good stuff for a reasonable price? (I don't have $1000 to spend on a sweet Alpinestars jacket)

4) Winter time! I will be riding into the cold months and in some cold places. Would you suggest leather or the textile stuff? I have heard people that swear by both.

5) Thank You for your input and ride safely!

Last edited by integra-t; 08-08-2009 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars
Default Re: Gear Questions. (Yes, I read the Sticky)

1. Heard a lot of not-so-good things about Icon jackets, although I myself have never had one. I have an Alpinestars mesh one that's great, with fox racing gloves (not so great, they're wearing out after only a few months)
2. I wear a medium jacket, 6'2 and 150 lb. it's a bit loose on me, and the one I have (T-Stunt) is loose to begin with, so medium would probably fit you snug
3. Casey Cycle City and ebay! seriously, try stuff on at a shop, then buy it new on ebay for two thirds of the price
4. Leather all the way, I got cold just the other night in my mesh jacket
Old 07-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

jbstewart02 is a name known to alljbstewart02 is a name known to alljbstewart02 is a name known to alljbstewart02 is a name known to alljbstewart02 is a name known to alljbstewart02 is a name known to alljbstewart02 is a name known to all

Icon airframe burn baby burn (cycle world)

shift Avenger Textile Jacket(cycle gear)

alpine stars gloves sps leather gloves (cycle gear)

As for sizes take yo ass to the shop and try it on.

Last edited by jbstewart02; 07-16-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:49 PM
^avatarless

crumpler is on a distinguished road

i'm 5'11" 180 and i wear a size 42 in alpinestars. i recommend going to one of the local shops and trying on the jackets in person. if you wear suits for work regularly it should be close to your standard business suit size.

i have:
-alpinestars textile air flo jacket. i went down wearing this and i will never wear a textile jacket again
-alpinestars smx air flo leather jacket. i love this thing and it fits perfectly
-alpinestars sm-x boots
-alpinestars sp gloves
-alpinestars tmx 1 piece suit
-hjc helmet that i got with the bike from the dealership
-agv gp-tech helmet
-alpinestars knee pads that i don't ever wear

so to answer your questions in order:
1. i prefer alpinestars gear all the way around. their textile jacket, although it melted on the pavement, probably saved my arm
2. try a 42-44 in jacket size. remember, anything that is dangling will catch if you're on the ground and rip open.
3. i bought most of my gear online. www.extremesupply.com has good helmet prices. i bought the other gear directly from alpinestars.com and ebay.com
4. for winter you should just layer up, make sure your jacket comes with a liner, wear some underarmour and definitely definitely get leather
5. ok
Old 07-18-2009, 02:23 PM
Jump In

Thanks for the input. When I ride dirtbikes, I have all Alpinestars, so I was leaning in that direction. I need to go to a shop ASAP, but I'm so busy lately I can't find the time. I was also leaning towards leather, but didn't know if I'd be sacrificing the air flow. Then again, its probably much safer to go with leather...

Anyone got any gear for sale by chance???
Old 07-26-2009, 12:15 PM
SV haver

chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe

I am your size, maybe a inch and a half taller and 5 lbs less. . . I recommend you wear a Medium or sz42 Jacket.
I have a fieldsheer leather jacket and i love how it fits on the arms, shoulders and chest, however, i think its a little loose on the waist.. I've tried on Icon, and i felt that it fit better, however, I believe most if not ALL icon jackets dont have the zipper to connect to pants (in case you ever decide to go to the track).

As far as gloves, i've owned a few pairs and the ones that i've liked the most so far are my current Alpina* SP2 leather gloves. I do have to tell you that they suck when you first get them, it takes a bit to break them in but after you do that i think they're great...

for the winter, leather up! Make sure you have your liner as well.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Jump In

Hey everyone I got my jacket and gloves. I went with an Alpinestars leather jacket. It was only 200 bucks on Craigslist brand new. It has an armored back, shoulders, and arms. Also has the vented underarms and cold weather liner. Size 44 fits me perfect. I also went with Alpinestars and got their M4 sport gloves. All I need now is to find that one helmet that I want to whip out on occasion that matches my gear since I have two beater helmets already. Thanks for the input!
Old 07-26-2009, 02:22 PM
1 happy dude

snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad

word of advice

the "summer riding" gloves you gee being sold and theyre all mesh or fabric, are fuckin useless. if its not leather it wont protect you from sh1t in even a 30mph fall.

TRUST ME, get proper gloves, or you might as well be riding with none.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:05 PM
We are not criminalz

BlackRain is on a distinguished road

Are you expecting to commute in the winter?

I did for two years straight year round. The Firstgear Thermo suit is the best for the money. I got it one size larger so that I could wear whatever I wanted underneath, usually what I wore to work. I think I have the Large. Im 5'11 185.

Get a leather jacket for every other riding. A*'s you know you cant go wrong with them.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:07 PM
Ich liebe Bier

BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin

Originally Posted by integra-t
So I finally got my bike. I have bought two helmets already, and am looking into jackets. I have some simple questions for you guys who have been ridin for a little longer than me.

1) What jackets and gloves do you prefer? I am aware of all of the top brands (Teknic, Icon, Alpinestars) and I want to invest in a good jacket and pair of gloves that will last. Are there any negative or positive experiences you have had with your jacket that mey sway my decision making? I want to buy one jacket and set of gloves, not three sets that continually rip and wear.

2) I'm 6'1 and 180 lbs. What size would you recommend? I usually wear a medium in clothing, but everyone tells me to get a jacket that fits tightly instead of one that fits like my clothing would. Maybe there is someone who is the same build as me that could tell me what they wear? (I'd really appreciate it)

3) Where did you buy your gear? I know some places will be more than others of course. I find that more experienced people always know the good places to go when it comes to things like buying gear. Have you ever stopped somewhere that had good stuff for a reasonable price? (I don't have $1000 to spend on a sweet Alpinestars jacket)

4) Winter time! I will be riding into the cold months and in some cold places. Would you suggest leather or the textile stuff? I have heard people that swear by both.

5) Thank You for your input and ride safely!
1. I've only had Alpinestar jacket and gloves, and their products are very nice. Make sure you purchase a leather jacket, and not textile. Leather may be a little hot in the summer, but will protect you better than textile would.

2. I'm 6'2" 190lbs and I wear a size 44 in Alpinestar. Sizes vary between different manufacturers though. It's best to go somewhere, and try them on before buying. A size 44 in Alpinestar may fit like a size 46 Teknic jacket.

3. Sprocketz on Broad by Honda House is decent. Richmond Superbike's could probably get a jacket for you. Online would be best for cheap prices, but you risk having the jacket not fit.

4. You definitely want leather for winter riding IMO.

Quick Reply: Gear Questions. (Yes, I read the Sticky)