Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

First Bike, opinions please

Old 06-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
derka90 has disabled reputation
First Bike, opinions please

whats up everyone, soo.. Ive decided im gonna buy a bike, but Im not sure whats a good choice for my first one. Im looking for something around 4500 bucks, I love the looks of the GSXR, but it might be too much for me to handle.. Im only 19. But Ive wanted a bike since I was 16 so its time. Any suggestions for a good beginner bike that looks nice would be great, thanks in advance
Old 06-22-2009, 02:51 AM
Registered Member

streetsk8er757 has disabled reputation
Default Re: First Bike, opinions please

2009 kawi 250 they hold there value very well for when you want to upgrade. i beleive the msrp is 4400-4500
Old 06-22-2009, 04:10 AM
Registered Member

98formulaLS1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by streetsk8er757
2009 kawi 250 they hold there value very well for when you want to upgrade. i beleive the msrp is 4400-4500
+1, plus its a very respectable beginner bike.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:30 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Originally Posted by streetsk8er757
+1, it really seems the ninja 250 is universally the best beginner bike on the market. i learned on a hyosung 250, and actually kind of wished i had opted for the kawasaki because it would have been much easier to sell once i was ready to move up. plus if you ever need parts for it you won't have to order an oil filter from korea...

there are other options for a good beginner bike though, and some that may even keep your attention longer than a 250 if your eventual plans are to upgrade to a supersport... suzuki sv650 is the first thing that comes to mind, and many people who go that route end up staying with that bike. you should be able to find one used in your price range. a 650 might sound like a bigger motor, and it is, but it's also a user-friendly motor in that it's not as 'unforgiving' as a supersport. you won't have to worry about accidentally rolling the throttle during a lane change and standing the bike up, but if you want to get out of the way of something, the power will be there.

good to see you're not dead set on a literbike like so many other 'bike enthusiasts' your age seem to be.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:42 AM
429-no boost needed

69muscle is an unknown quantity at this point

i also agree with the others. a 250 is an excellent place to start for many reasons- the cost of insurance wont kill your wallet, and its not quite as tempting on the power. i personally got my first bike when i was 19 as well. (03 CBR 600RR). i felt comfortable starting on a 600 b/c i grew up on dirtbikes and fourwheelers, but in no way do they compare to the power-to-wieght ratio of a sport bike.

no matter what you choose, get it because it feels good between your legs, not because of how it looks. (thats just my opinion.) and also if you havent already, i strongly suggest looking into attending the MSF class. WELL WORTH THE TIME. (and you will get a break on your insurance).

g/l and keep the rubber side down!
Old 06-22-2009, 04:58 AM
slowest in VA

lowpro35 is on a distinguished road

i would also agree with the ninja 250r. i'd say find a cheap used one ~ $3000 ride it for a season or two then upgrade if you want.
Also if you haven't already, take the MSF course (Motorcycle safety course) at NOVA or wherever. That way you can just get your M endorsement and also have picked up some valuable skills. don't mess with getting a permit and all that. taking that class might save your life one day, learning on a permit might take it.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:55 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

You can't go wrong with a Ninja 250, 500/650R or a GSX 500. Take the MSF class and invest in plenty of Gear!
Old 06-22-2009, 06:06 AM
I have a 20 valve...

crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx

Originally Posted by Woodrow
Take the MSF class and invest in plenty of Gear!
I cannot emphasize this enough- its not what you ride, its how you protect yourself. And its okay to go a little bigger too- a 600 is a perfectly respectable size. Do your research. Keep your speed down. Never ride above your limit. Ride with people that you can learn from, that won't pressure you to ride faster/harder than you can.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:23 AM
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

lots of good advice going on in here.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:40 AM
Anti "DONK"

ShortyzKustomz has disabled reputation

Def think the Ninja 250 or Ninja 500 would be best bet, My first riding was a 250

Quick Reply: First Bike, opinions please