Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Filtering (a.k.a. Lane Splitting) Legal... for mopeds?

Old 03-12-2012, 06:25 PM
SPARKLEmotion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah
Default Re: Filtering (a.k.a. Lane Splitting) Legal... for mopeds?

Originally Posted by FilipinoMafia
I posted that because I rarely see a two lane road that are 35mph. The thread topic is about moped lane splitting right? Obviously, if you are lane splitting you are on a 45mph road, right?
It also applys to SHARING single lanes. Example - you know, when someone is making a left hand turn from a SINGLE lane, but you still have enough room to pass, so you do? It's technically illegal for you to do so... this law kinda clears that up for the different sects of transportation.

SN; Heath - I'm pretty sure that I had found something not that long ago where it said it was LEGAL for "mopeds" (per the states definition) to ride 2 abreast (<LOL) and pass in the same lane. It actually stated that AUTOMOBILES/ETC could pass/ride abreast (<LOL again) to mopeds, bicycles, animal drawn vehichles, etc and vice/versa. When I get home I'll post it (pretty sure I got it bookmarked).
Old 03-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

Couple things: I predict within 5 years filtering will be legal for all two wheeled vehicles, although I'd have reservations on doing it at more than 20-25 mph. It's scary enough at times with cars next to me in another lane coming over, doubt I'd want to chance passing one in the same lane. Also, same goes for riding next to a motorcycle at speed, I don't trust anyone next to me. haha
Old 03-14-2012, 06:45 AM
SPARKLEmotion

FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah

I feel like I found more than this but -

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+46.2-905

46.2-905. Riding bicycles, electric personal assistive mobility devices, electric power-assisted bicycles, motor-driven cycles, and mopeds on roadways and bicycle paths.

Any person operating a bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, or moped on a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place under conditions then existing shall ride as close as safely practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway, except under any of the following circumstances:

1. When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction;

2. When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway;

3. When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes that make it unsafe to continue along the right curb or edge;

4. When avoiding riding in a lane that must turn or diverge to the right; and

5. When riding upon a one-way road or highway, a person may also ride as near the left-hand curb or edge of such roadway as safely practicable.

For purposes of this section, a "substandard width lane" is a lane too narrow for a bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, motorized skateboard or scooter, or moped and another vehicle to pass safely side by side within the lane.

Persons riding bicycles, electric personal assistive mobility devices, or electric power-assisted bicycles on a highway shall not ride more than two abreast. Persons riding two abreast shall not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, shall move into a single file formation as quickly as is practicable when being overtaken from the rear by a faster moving vehicle, and, on a laned roadway, shall ride in a single lane.

Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, the Department of Conservation and Recreation shall permit the operation of electric personal assistive mobility devices on any bicycle path or trail designated by the Department for such use.
And for the cars-

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+46.2-839

§ 46.2-839. Passing bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, moped, animal, or animal-drawn vehicle.

Any driver of any vehicle overtaking a bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, moped, animal, or animal-drawn vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass at a reasonable speed at least two feet to the left of the overtaken bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, moped, animal, or animal-drawn vehicle and shall not again proceed to the right side of the highway until safely clear of such overtaken bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, moped, animal, or animal-drawn vehicle.

I pass on the right all the time as long as I don't think people are going to run my ass over. You'd be surprised how many "vigilantes" there are that want to follow me and "educate" me on what they think the law is. Really it's just them being pissed off and venting because 1) They were passed at all and the majority of society is concerned with being "first" as opposed to just getting where they're going and 2) being passed in their own lane isn't common place so they just assume it's illegal. I'm sure getting passed by a scooter/moped doesn't set well with a persons pride either.

In regards to the motorcycles; I also feel like a cop could easily say you were riding "abreast" of someone if he catches you passing a vehicle that's in motion in the same lane. His/her word against yours, and most people won't fork out $200-$300 for a lawyer to get a $60-$150 ticket dropped.

Last edited by FObangah; 03-14-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:46 AM
beautiful struggle

Quentin has disabled reputation

I filter all the time in DC. Even the bike cops do. Shrug. Filter in VA only when traffic is horrid.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:02 AM
SPARKLEmotion

All this talk of filtering:

traffic built up at the light outside of my work. I ride up the white line to the front of the pack because I know I'd miss the light twice if I didn't. Guy in a truck (with his LEFT signal on mind you) at the beginning of the line rolls his window down and says:

"I hope you don't think your going to cut me off."

"Why would I cut you off? I'm going straight. You're turning left : points in the direction he's going:"

"What makes you think you can just "butt" in line?"

"Are we in a cafeteria line or something? Do you ask every person that passes you why they are cutting in your imaginary line?"

He starts to cuss me but the light turns green so I left him there stinking up traffic.

MOPED FTW.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:34 AM
Go Fuck Yourself!

FilipinoMafia has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by FObangah
All this talk of filtering:

traffic built up at the light outside of my work. I ride up the white line to the front of the pack because I know I'd miss the light twice if I didn't. Guy in a truck (with his LEFT signal on mind you) at the beginning of the line rolls his window down and says:

"I hope you don't think your going to cut me off."

"Why would I cut you off? I'm going straight. You're turning left : points in the direction he's going:"

"What makes you think you can just "butt" in line?"

"Are we in a cafeteria line or something? Do you ask every person that passes you why they are cutting in your imaginary line?"

He starts to cuss me but the light turns green so I left him there stinking up traffic.

MOPED FTW.
Do that to the wrong person and that's one way to get your ass beat at a stop light. I will pray for you!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

Guy filtered all the way down Independence the other day from about Northampton to the Blvd. Passed a cop, too, so maybe there's more to it. Granted, traffic was at a crawl/stop and he was maybe going 15mph at tops, but...
Old 03-18-2012, 09:51 AM
TwoWheels YearRound

Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade

Originally Posted by SignfcntOthr
Guy filtered all the way down Independence the other day from about Northampton to the Blvd. Passed a cop, too, so maybe there's more to it. Granted, traffic was at a crawl/stop and he was maybe going 15mph at tops, but...
Scooter or Motorcycle?
Old 03-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Awesome.

Full blown cruiser. Guessing about 700cc +
Old 03-18-2012, 10:12 AM
TwoWheels YearRound

Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade

haha, nice.

Quick Reply: Filtering (a.k.a. Lane Splitting) Legal... for mopeds?