Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

A few upgrades?

Old 10-09-2006, 08:09 PM
d00d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
duder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A few upgrades?

I just recently bought a 2000 ex500 ninja and after riding my girlfriend while trying to keep up with my friend on his cbr 600, it's obvious that the ninja can be a bit lacking in acceleration.

I'm about 215 and my girlfriend is 125-130, which is probably a lot of weight for such a small bike, so I'm looking at adding a little horsepower now.

I'm planning on upgrading to a bigger bike in probably about a year. But, in the meantime I was trying to see if there are a few small things I can add to atleast get a little more power. Suggestions, other than getting a bigger bike (which I'll be doing later next year)?
Old 10-09-2006, 08:19 PM
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3
Default Re: A few upgrades?

An aftermarket exhaust would help. Not much though.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:49 PM
d00d

Originally Posted by j4k3
An aftermarket exhaust would help. Not much though.

yeah, got quoted for an expensive $600 for slip-on plus installation at casey cycle city earlier today. What would I get like 1-2 more hp? I'm doing that mainly for sound.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:32 AM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

buy parts online! you'll save money, not to mention it is easy to install
Old 10-10-2006, 02:13 AM

zx636skiv is on a distinguished road

You can get a little bit out of that Kaw...if I remember correctly, they actually have a race class that they fit right into!! Seriously!

You can put on a full exhaust and jet the carb and you will probably get about 5-7 more hp...doesn't sound like a lot, but you don't have a lot to start with, so every little bit helps! Also, you can go up a couple more teeth on your rear sprocket, which won't help with power, but it will get you off the line quicker!

The sprocket will be the cheapest deal. You can go down 1 tooth on the front sprocket and you won't have to buy a new chain, just cut yours down to length.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:21 AM
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3

Originally Posted by AFwestPunk
buy parts online! you'll save money, not to mention it is easy to install
Yea, get them online and have steve install them.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:45 AM
d00d

Anybody want to cut me a better deal than 600? I'm calling scorpion engineering in a few minutes to see what they can do for me. Casey quoted the pipe at $424 and labor from $120-180 to be exact. They didn't tell me what kind of pipe it was. I'm assuming Muzzy or something along those lines.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:49 AM
d00d

Originally Posted by zx636skiv
You can get a little bit out of that Kaw...if I remember correctly, they actually have a race class that they fit right into!! Seriously!

You can put on a full exhaust and jet the carb and you will probably get about 5-7 more hp...doesn't sound like a lot, but you don't have a lot to start with, so every little bit helps! Also, you can go up a couple more teeth on your rear sprocket, which won't help with power, but it will get you off the line quicker!

The sprocket will be the cheapest deal. You can go down 1 tooth on the front sprocket and you won't have to buy a new chain, just cut yours down to length.
I don't know shit about sprockets, and to tell the truth I don't trust myself to add stuff to my bike. I'd rather have someone that knows something about bikes do it. 5-7 extra hp sounds pretty nice when I've got like 49hp right now. I'm looking to add 50+ hp as it would be easier to buy another bike. I'm just looking for a little gain here and there and the sprockets sound like they can do that. I just have no idea where to start at pricing them, and finding someone to put it on, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion, if you know any brands/kinds that might work I'd be more than happy to listen.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:49 AM
d00d

Originally Posted by j4k3
Yea, get them online and have steve install them.
There's a few for like 350-400 on ebay that I was looking at.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:50 AM
A.K.A Slowintegra92

VADA9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Originally Posted by duder
I just recently bought a 2000 ex500 ninja and after riding my girlfriend while trying to keep up with my friend on his cbr 600, it's obvious that the ninja can be a bit lacking in acceleration.

I'm about 215 and my girlfriend is 125-130, which is probably a lot of weight for such a small bike, so I'm looking at adding a little horsepower now.

I'm planning on upgrading to a bigger bike in probably about a year. But, in the meantime I was trying to see if there are a few small things I can add to atleast get a little more power. Suggestions, other than getting a bigger bike (which I'll be doing later next year)?

The problem is stated in red, you should not try to bang your girl while riding?

Quick Reply: A few upgrades?