Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Electronic cut-out on motorcycle

Old 02-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electronic cut-out on motorcycle

basically,

for all of you in the nova area im pretty sure you guys are familiar with B&T motorsports. B&T motorsports is the only shop that i know that does the e-cut. now my question is; would this work on a motorcycle and, at that a motorcycle with an undertail exhaust (06 zx6r) stock. i know there is gonna be a few issues, starting with; backfiring, heat, and the melting of plastics. let me know wat you guys think about this type of setup and if it could work.

thanks for the input
Old 02-28-2007, 10:13 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: Electronic cut-out on motorcycle

huh? what e-cut? more details please.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

i assume he's talking about a tre like derestricter, are you trying to do away with the top speed limiter or something? i'm not familiar with this particular one but if its one of those universal units i see on ebay i'd stay away from it... if its a plug in part specific for your bike then i don't imagine you would have any problems at all

am i way off here or is this like what your talking about?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:37 AM
1 happy dude

snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad

these modern sport bikes arent restrictedwith speed by any electronics.
they are restricted by power and gearing.

the only cut out or limiters on the modern 600 is a a BanK angle sensor that shuts off at certain angles and the rev limiter.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

tundrafiend01 is on a distinguished road

I think you guys missed the boat on his post. I think he's referring to exhaust cutouts used in the automobile industry. If this is the case, why do you want an exhaust cutout for a motorcycle? If you want more power, upgrade your motor and add nitrous or a turbo for added power. You'll see minimal gains, if any, using an exhaust cutout. Add these minimal gains to the added weight, and you'll probably be about where you started.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

the 600's might not be but nearly all of the liter bikes and bigger are absolutely electronic limited to a top speed of 186mph... and alot of other bikes run restricters to limit the torque output in the first few gears

ahh i see, that makes sense, i thought he meant he wanted to eliminate the cut out that some bikes have, so i didn't see where the exhaust issues would come into play

that i'd stay away from all together, running with no muffler on a inline 4 just sounds terrible, its fun for a few minutes to scare the public but after that it just gets annoying and on a 600 of all bikes would probably just hurt your power output, especially without tuning... you'd certainly get some backfiring and depending on where it cuts out at it heat and melting the tail could certainly be an issue

Last edited by Del La Sol 1320; 02-28-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:50 AM
1 happy dude

snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad snikwad

Originally Posted by Del La Sol 1320
the 600's might not be but nearly all of the liter bikes and bigger are absolutely electronic limited to a top speed of 186mph... and alot of other bikes run restricters to limit the torque output in the first few gears
im gonna have to call BS...
i have a 1000RR and i will tell you that the top speed is not limited by anything except drag and power...

slap a turbo or nos on one and see what happens, then the gearing will be the limiting factor.
I know a guy in FL that does top speed racing, raced a 1000RR then a ZX-10R.
Electronic speed limiters are non existment, its all, drag, power and gearing.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by snikwad
im gonna have to call BS...
i have a 1000RR and i will tell you that the top speed is not limited by anything except drag and power...

slap a turbo or nos on one and see what happens, then the gearing will be the limiting factor.
I know a guy in FL that does top speed racing, raced a 1000RR then a ZX-10R.
Electronic speed limiters are non existment, its all, drag, power and gearing.
your flat out wrong, its as simple as that, no argueing about it

all you did was name two specific bikes, they made a few more than that over the history of motorcycling and the ZX10R is definetly restricted

as of 2001 no bikes in this country exceed 186 mph... i know for a fact, again you can't argue this, its simply fact, that the hayabusa and gsxr 1000 have electronic top speed limiters, so you can turbo nos whatever all day long and unless you remove that its not going faster than 186 because the engine is going to cut out no matter how much power was pushing the rear wheel at 185 mph, the GSXR 600 and 750 atleast have restrictions that retard the timing in 1st and 2nd gear to lower the torque output, not sure if theres a top speed limiter since they don't go 186mph in stock trim but one very while might still be there, the TL and SV1000's also have this, not sure about the SV650

heres a wikipedia excerpt about the ZX12R "Starting with 2001 models, speed limiters were included to reduce the ZX-12R's top speed to 300 km/h"

and the ZX14 "Top speed is restricted electronically to 300 kilometers per hour (187 mph) according to a gentlemen's agreement between Kawasaki and Suzuki.This limit has been in effect on both Kawasaki and Suzuki hyper sport motorcycles since 2001"

heres a clip from a review of the ZX10R "although the bike is electronically limited to 186mph in the interests of... what? Sanity?"

honda probably just hasn't bothered to restrict the 1000rr electronically because its the only bike in its class that can't go that fast
Old 02-28-2007, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

zx12guy is an unknown quantity at this point

haha bikes don't have speed/power limiters hahaha..... funny how on my brother's 05 zx10 once the speedo hits 186mph the bike stops accelerating. Must have magically ran out of power @186, what a coincedence

Last edited by zx12guy; 02-28-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

93civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Electronic cut-out on motorcycle

that i'd stay away from all together, running with no muffler on a inline 4 just sounds terrible, its fun for a few minutes to scare the public but after that it just gets annoying and on a 600 of all bikes would probably just hurt your power output, especially without tuning... you'd certainly get some backfiring and depending on where it cuts out at it heat and melting the tail could certainly be an issue[/QUOTE]

the above written is the answer i was looking for.

the reason im exploring this option was for a possible gain in performance w/ the addition of mods like power commander, cams, etc.., but with the weight issue and other factors i dont think it will be worth saving maybe 500-600 dollars. to me i think the biggest factor will be the weight, simply because im looking into track days, so id rather spend the money and save weight.

Quick Reply: Electronic cut-out on motorcycle