Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Dropping insurance?

Old 11-15-2004, 01:26 PM
Chillaxin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6
Default Dropping insurance?

Well, im done riding for the season simply because ive been getting more and more sick each time i decide to ride. Since im done riding, i feel i shouldnt be paying for something im not going to be doing. I know the law says you have to insure a registered vehicle in VA, but i want to know has anyone dropped there insurance on their bike during the winter just to save money? I mean, if i dont insure it, what can the po-po do to me if im not operating it?
Old 11-15-2004, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Alwayslast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dropping insurance?

thats a good question,

maybe you can put it on hold and say you'll be out of town for a few months or out of country for a months.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

kwth8n has disabled reputation

technically when you drop your insurance your insurance company is supposed to let the dmv know. they usually give you thirty days to turn in your plates. after that that can hold you liable for a 500 dollar fine for not keeping insurance on a registered vehicle. i guess there afraid you might drive it one day and hope not to get caught. i know from experince dont chance it. unless its expensive or you can just drop full coverage. i have to file a sr 22 every year cause i cancelled my insurance and never turned in plates. not worth it in my opinion.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:49 PM
Biker WannaB

TheHub02ss is an unknown quantity at this point

I did something similar with mine. I dropped my insurance on the bike over the winter and the insurance company told me I had to call DMV and request that my tags be "deactivated" due to deactivated insurance.

When I get ready to ride again next spring all you have to do is reactivate the insurance and give DMV another call and you shold be good to go. It may vary from company to company though depending on their policys.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

i just leave mine insured, i'm lazy and by january 50 degree days start sounding nice so never know when i might want to ride
Old 11-15-2004, 05:50 PM
Fidel runs VBPD

The_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud of

some insurance companies will lower your rate if you tell them your gonna be storing it for long term, I've done it w/ mine, but insurance companies differ...
Old 11-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Va Beach Coast Rider

CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4

Don't just drop insurance without turning in your plates. The DMV will get you for Insurance Monitoring and make you carry an SR-22 for 3 years.

I wouldn't bother dropping your insurance/registration unless your insurance is outrageous or something. The price to re-register your vehicle is usually worth just keeping it insured.

And like Del said, 55 degrees in January is perfect riding weather!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2004, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

xshanex has disabled reputation

I had my license suspended here because the DMV sent me one of those cards in the mail.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:14 AM
ASE Master

onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of

i went to my insurance company last week and asked the same question.

she told me that if there is a lein on the bike, i have to get permission from the lein holder to take insurance off, and most people wont do it (if you owe money on the bike). she said (like yall are saying) that you have to turn in your plates if you take it off.

alot of people take insurance off their car when they do big projects. i did that with mine and never heard anything about it, and i had it registered.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:52 AM
Registered Member

seanazzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Del La Sol 1320
i just leave mine insured, i'm lazy and by january 50 degree days start sounding nice so never know when i might want to ride
50 degrees in january?! doesn't winter start on dec 21st or something

Quick Reply: Dropping insurance?