Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

dmv written test

Old 07-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
layz has disabled reputation
Default dmv written test

how hard is the dmv written test to get your m class? i just completed the msf this past tuesday and went to read the dmv's little booklet about bikes and realized its filled with stupid irrelevant stuff, i dont need to know about why dmv would like me to wear boots, or what steps they recommend for me to stop my friends from driving drunk, is it a law? no? then they should stfu about it and teach me what i need to know, damn i hate dmv
Old 07-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Whaaaat?

Flyin' Low is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: dmv written test

piece a cake...just go there give em your msf certificate and there you go. Smile for the picture and there is your M...
Old 07-27-2006, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

closetHomo has disabled reputation

what is MSF and how do you get that? and how much does it cost to get your M code?

new to this scene and trying to get a bike as early as next week.. so sorry for the 'noobism'
Old 07-28-2006, 03:53 AM
Cube Jockey

speedymatt has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Flyin' Low
piece a cake...just go there give em your msf certificate and there you go. Smile for the picture and there is your M...
no it isn't that simple. you do have to take the computer test thingy all the motorcycle safety course (MSF) card does is waive the road test portion of the DMV test. You will still be tested on general knowledge. if you want a sample go to the the dmv website and they have online sample quizes, you can take it as many times as you want, each time it generates new questions(well some overlap).

smirnoFFz,
MSF= motorcycle safety course and is a two day instructional and road(parking lot) course that teaches the proper way to handle a bike. at the end of the course you are tested on the skills that you learn and given a pass/fail. if you pass then this waives the dmv road test which is damn near impossible on anything other than a 250cc. classes are offered thru Tidewater Community college and Thomas Nelson Community College. TNCC offers the weekday courses and doesn't seem to fill as quick as the TCC ones do.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:59 AM
INTERNET PIMP

2.3Liter is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by layz
how hard is the dmv written test to get your m class? i just completed the msf this past tuesday and went to read the dmv's little booklet about bikes and realized its filled with stupid irrelevant stuff, i dont need to know about why dmv would like me to wear boots, or what steps they recommend for me to stop my friends from driving drunk, is it a law? no? then they should stfu about it and teach me what i need to know, damn i hate dmv

I just took the test about 2 weeks ago and hte written test is a joke.. if you read over the booklet a little bit its so easy...
Old 07-28-2006, 05:13 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Isn't hard at all. I had to go back yesterday to go through the whole process because when they revoked my drivers license, my m class went with it.. So I wasn't prepared for that at all. I thought I would just have to take the riding test and be done with it. Get there, take the written test, miss 2 questions.. take the riding test, and aced it. Got my m class back and had a good day altogether. Just take your time and really THINK about the questions before you answer. Don't second guess though.

I've NEVER read the book or practiced the test before. The first time I took it I missed one, and yesterday I missed two. It's cake if you have common sense.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:17 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by speedymatt
no it isn't that simple. you do have to take the computer test thingy all the motorcycle safety course (MSF) card does is waive the road test portion of the DMV test. You will still be tested on general knowledge. if you want a sample go to the the dmv website and they have online sample quizes, you can take it as many times as you want, each time it generates new questions(well some overlap).

smirnoFFz,
MSF= motorcycle safety course and is a two day instructional and road(parking lot) course that teaches the proper way to handle a bike. at the end of the course you are tested on the skills that you learn and given a pass/fail. if you pass then this waives the dmv road test which is damn near impossible on anything other than a 250cc. classes are offered thru Tidewater Community college and Thomas Nelson Community College. TNCC offers the weekday courses and doesn't seem to fill as quick as the TCC ones do.
I took it yesterday on my friends wifes 250CC Kawasaki.. then just for shits and giggles asked the instructor if I could take it on my 636. Passed on the 636 too. It's really not that hard. You just have to remember this one thing: LOW SPEED!!! The clutch and the brakes are your friend, not the throttle. My DMV test person was really cool and friendly.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:08 AM
Cube Jockey

speedymatt has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
I took it yesterday on my friends wifes 250CC Kawasaki.. then just for shits and giggles asked the instructor if I could take it on my 636. Passed on the 636 too. It's really not that hard. You just have to remember this one thing: LOW SPEED!!! The clutch and the brakes are your friend, not the throttle. My DMV test person was really cool and friendly.
when i tried the riding test i was on a 600 shadow, so granted a sport bike might be easier. plus it helps if the tester isn't a complete tool like mine was. i just said screw it and took the MSF with some friends and had fun with it.

to add to what you said, i find the front brakes to be useless for slow speed stuff, i like to ride the back brakes, feather clutch, and feather gas. or a trick i heard is to raise your engine idle speed alittle so really you only have to feather the clutch and ride the rear brake.