VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Cycle Corner (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/)
-   -   DMV just screwed me (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/dmv-just-screwed-me-378714/)

marshallbc 01-13-2011 08:41 AM

DMV just screwed me

Question for all, does DMV track the M endorsement? I received my new VA drivers license a few months ago but did not notice that the M endorsement was no longer on it. Was riding the other day got pulled over due to the rear license plate light fell out and when I handed the officer my license he came back and asked why I didn’t have a motorcycle license I insisted that I did and when he showed me my license I noticed that I didn’t. I no longer have any of the documentation from when I took my course and the lady at DMV said they have no way to track it, is that true? Does anyone know what I can do aside from taking the class again?

ufctapout 01-13-2011 08:46 AM

Re: DMV just screwed me

Originally Posted by marshallbc (Post 6828370)
Question for all, does DMV track the M endorsement? I received my new VA drivers license a few months ago but did not notice that the M endorsement was no longer on it. Was riding the other day got pulled over due to the rear license plate light fell out and when I handed the officer my license he came back and asked why I didn’t have a motorcycle license I insisted that I did and when he showed me my license I noticed that I didn’t. I no longer have any of the documentation from when I took my course and the lady at DMV said they have no way to track it, is that true? Does anyone know what I can do aside from taking the class again?

That's bullshit. You should have asked her what your taxes pay for, and then offered to instruct her on how to use her own computer.

They most definitely have record of that shit. Just like when your license comes up for renewal and they ask about organ donation/voter registration.

skr00zloose 01-13-2011 03:26 PM

that same thing happened to me. The first time (haha, it's happened a few times) my license was suspended, when I got it back, they neglected to give me my M endorsement back. They then told me that I had to get a permit first.....WHAT??....I had to explain to the lady that I BUILD MOTORCYCLES FOR A LIVING, and that it's not my fault they forgot to reinstate my M license. Only after I forced the lady to let me talk to the DMV branch manager and bitched him out did they offer me a "deal"....they made me take the freakin rider's test again (what a joke that is, btw), and reinstated my endorsement after I passed it.

And yes, they CAN AND DO track endorsements, I know this b/c I got pulled, just like you did, with an older copy of my license on me, and the cop proceeded to ask me why the hard card had no endorsement, but his computer showed that I did have a motorcycle license.

The DMV people don't have a clue what they are doing in alot of respects, ask to speak to the manager next time.

That being said, if you had a M class from a different state, and then moved to VA, and got your license here, that endorsement may not transfer. I'm not sure, I've never had anything other than a VA license.

Woodrow 01-14-2011 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by skr00zloose (Post 6829476)
That being said, if you had a M class from a different state, and then moved to VA, and got your license here, that endorsement may not transfer. I'm not sure, I've never had anything other than a VA license.

That endorsement will carry over. I had a NJ license when I first got to VA back in 99 and it carried over.

Rich 01-14-2011 10:11 AM

not all states transfer.

Woodrow 01-14-2011 10:31 AM

Why not? Anyone have any word on that?

FairladyZTT 01-14-2011 11:33 AM

dont know.. but my roommates M didnt transfer from Vermont.. he has to start all over here.

MA-HALF-E 01-16-2011 10:46 AM

You have to request the M license, and I mean request. They won't ask you if you want to carry it 9 times out of 10. If you deal with DMV through the mail you probably neglected to request to keep the M endorsement. I dealt with this shit all the time when I sold insurance.

Woodrow 01-16-2011 12:36 PM

Yeah see I told them I wanted to transfer my NJ license which also had a M endorsement. However, I did that in person 12 years ago.

Night Ryder 01-20-2011 07:34 PM

i got harrassed by a cop while i was off my bike (srad wouldn't start after it got hot, had to let it cool) but the cop wanted me to move and i couldn't. so, i parked it, while i was walking away from my bike a girl was asking for my number (to get a ride later) and the cop yelled at me, handcuffed me and put me in the back of he car. when he checked my license, i didn't have the M endorsement printed on it and it was two years old. DMV didn't put it on. luckily i had the certificate from the motorcycle safety class. it was about to expire. i took it back to dmv, explained what happened and i had to take the written exam again, and i still lost that court battle.