Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Differences between Carburated and FI...

Old 02-19-2007, 07:09 AM
misunderestimated

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yamamaha has disabled reputation
Default Differences between Carburated and FI...

Ok, so i was just curious to know what are the differences and why do i hear people saying carbureted motors are more user-friendly than fuel injected. Can anyone with experience with the two please explain the differences to me? I have an 01 R1 thats carbureted and the only thing i notice about it that i wish i could change is the fact of it being a real pain to start when its cold - having to choke the hell out of it to get it started...lol. Other than that, i love it to death.

And what about using race gas with carbureted and fuel injected - i hear its better for carbureted and bad for fuel injection.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:18 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Differences between Carburated and FI...

fuel injected bikes are easier to start, and run better in cold weather or changing altitudes... as far as being more user friendly, the throttle response is better on carburated bikes, more immediate and smoother when you get on the gas, the fact that newer bikes are run alot leaner and i guess just the nature of a electronic fuel system means there is a slight delay when you open the gas or sometimes its a little jerky

as far as race gas its not worth running in either, sometimes at track days if i would run out of fuel or forget to bring some i'd buy race gas and it never caused me any problems but its not going to give you any benefit
Old 02-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Registered member

supraBoy has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Del La Sol 1320
fuel injected bikes are easier to start, and run better in cold weather or changing altitudes... as far as being more user friendly, the throttle response is better on carburated bikes, more immediate and smoother when you get on the gas, the fact that newer bikes are run alot leaner and i guess just the nature of a electronic fuel system means there is a slight delay when you open the gas or sometimes its a little jerky

as far as race gas its not worth running in either, sometimes at track days if i would run out of fuel or forget to bring some i'd buy race gas and it never caused me any problems but its not going to give you any benefit
Im with him.^^

I have a Carburated bike, and its alittle harder to start as opposed to your EFI bikes, but to me throttle response is quicker in a Carburated bike. Like when its realy cold, i have to choke my bike so it will warm up but besides that it runs GREAT
Old 02-19-2007, 03:13 PM
CLUTCH IT UP

Armenian has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by shiftnlift
why do i hear people saying carbureted motors are more user-friendly than fuel injected.
Those people have no clue-FI is the shit.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:16 PM
CLUTCH IT UP

Originally Posted by Del La Sol 1320
as far as being more user friendly, the throttle response is better on carburated bikes, more immediate and smoother when you get on the gas, the fact that newer bikes are run alot leaner and i guess just the nature of a electronic fuel system means there is a slight delay when you open the gas or sometimes its a little jerky
I've never had any issues at all with FI. Throttle response is 1000% better than carburated. Bottom line-FI is the way to go.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:29 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Armenian
I've never had any issues at all with FI. Throttle response is 1000% better than carburated. Bottom line-FI is the way to go.
FI is usually "snatchy" compared to carbed. you don't do anything but stunt, so that's probably better for you, but for the racer, that jerkiness can upset the chassis and makes riding faster more difficult, and/or cause a crash. carbed bikes have a bit of a "buffer" that makes throttle transitions smoother.

there are ways of tuning a FI bike so that it's not so jerky though. usually richening up the bottom end of the fuel curve helps out alot.

beyond that, i think de la sol pretty much summed it up.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:31 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Armenian
Those people have no clue-FI is the shit.
you have no clue, shut your hole
Old 02-19-2007, 03:54 PM
CLUTCH IT UP

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
you have no clue, shut your hole
Your gay. Welcome to 2007 LOL
Old 02-19-2007, 03:56 PM
CLUTCH IT UP

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
FI is usually "snatchy" compared to carbed. you don't do anything but stunt, so that's probably better for you, but for the racer, that jerkiness can upset the chassis and makes riding faster more difficult, and/or cause a crash. carbed bikes have a bit of a "buffer" that makes throttle transitions smoother.

there are ways of tuning a FI bike so that it's not so jerky though. usually richening up the bottom end of the fuel curve helps out alot.

beyond that, i think de la sol pretty much summed it up.
If FI was snatchy I'd be put on my ass quick-like. And I only crash when I fuck up. smooth smoooth smoooooth
Old 02-19-2007, 05:23 PM
misunderestimated

Yamamaha has disabled reputation

Well...for the hell of it, i just went ahead and dumped practically a full tank of race fuel in my bike after running it for about 30 miles on the fuel light. I did notice that start-up was easy as hell even with it being as cold as its been. Typically, its having me out there juggling the choke around for a second, not trying to rev it up to 5 grand holding, and keeping it alive, but the 109 almost didnt require a choked start-up.....

that and it smells funky...lol

Quick Reply: Differences between Carburated and FI...