Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

A Couple Upgrades Questions

Old 03-31-2006, 05:55 AM
Chillaxin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6
Default A Couple Upgrades Questions

Gear Indicator: Any of you use 'em? I'm thinking of getting one, but im not sure if it's worth it. When i got used to my R6, i knew what gears i was in most of the time, and when i got the R1, i was having a little trouble at first since i was getting back into the scene, and since i dont redline it in 1st or 2nd, i usually just shift away without realizing what gear im actually in. Suffice to say, im not bad and down shift counting, more of the upshift, oddly enough

Exhausts: I dont know who to go with at all. Especially since it's a liter bike. Arata sounds nice. I've always heard Akrapovic performs well on R1's. Damn near everyone uses Yoshimura. I've also been looking at just the cans from GYTR (Gangster Yamaha shit).

Frame Sliders: I'm getting carbon fiber ones by Philip Lockhart, but I dont know if I get the ones that mount near the engine, or the ones that mount near the back of the frame closest to the seat.

If i think of more things i'll ask. Gonna get a lot of threads out of me
Old 03-31-2006, 07:24 AM
ASE Master

onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of
Default Re: A Couple Upgrades Questions

i dont think i like my gear indicator on my gsxr enough to buy on per-say.. but it is really nice to be able to look down and see what gear im in. on my sv650, i was always trying to shift up a gear when i was already in 6th, or downshifting at a stoplight while im already in 1st.. i wouldnt say always.. but it happened enough. now i just look down and i can see what gear im in, especially on the highway when i want to take off, i dont have to click it into neutral or first before shifting to 2nd, i just click it there, and hit it.

the graves slip on sounds awesome on the r1. only thing is, i think its $800-$1000... from what ive heard, its ALOT lighter than the stock system as well. but i guess you get that with almost any slip-on.

Last edited by onepointone; 03-31-2006 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

i agree, i love my stock gear indicator but i wouldn't buy one if it wasn't on there... i hear the aftermarket ones are a pain to install, and figure out your gear by an equation on road speed and engine speed so theres a delay from the time you shift to the time it shows up

exhaust, like he said again, you can't go wrong putting graves on an r1, haven't seen or heard yosh on one, but i've heard graves, sick, heard arata, sick... akrapovic is always going to be top quality but they generally seem to be a bit quieter than most
Old 03-31-2006, 04:43 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

graves!!! they're naaasty.

the gytr pipes are gorgous, but they're pricey.

as for sliders, get the ones that mount at the motor mount at the head, the ones farther back are useless.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:36 PM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
graves!!! they're naaasty.

the gytr pipes are gorgous, but they're pricey.

as for sliders, get the ones that mount at the motor mount at the head, the ones farther back are useless.
Well, i'm trying not to make a big deal about the price. Its more quality, performance, and sound im looking for. Any experience with the sound of the GYTR cans? I mean, the way i see it, I dont think i would need an aftermarket header, since gytr doesnt make them, so its supposed to run on the stock application, right? The web site says:

Anodized 6061-T6 aluminum end caps, ball-burnished stainless steel mounting straps, and Silent Sport™ pillow packing
Carbon fiber shell with stainless inlet pipes
Achieves an increase of approximately 3~5hp in the midrange with a 7.1 hp gain at peak rpm, while providing up to a 7.3 ft-lb increase in torque

The silent sport packing, that mean that its noise is reduced?

I hadn't heard of graves till you all mentioned them Taking my time to check them out now.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:54 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

most stock headers on any newer spoirtbike flow so well that unless you plan on doing internal motor work, then a slip on or half system is all you will ever need.
some bikes, like the 929/954 and the new gixxers, with the valve in the exhaust, actually LOSE power in the lower and midrange with a full system. they make a bit more up top, but 90% of the riding on the street isn't done at or near redline.

i haven't heard the gytr pipes, so i couldn't tell you what they sound like, but they look awesome. i saw a set on a yellow '06 r1 the other day. the graves are moderately loud, with a deeper tone than some of the others that i've heard.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:03 AM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

What about Termignoni? I hear they got some gangsta shit. I think right now its a toss up between those, or the GYTR slips.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:14 AM
ASE Master

onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
some bikes, like the 929/954 and the new gixxers, with the valve in the exhaust, actually LOSE power in the lower and midrange with a full system. they make a bit more up top, but 90% of the riding on the street isn't done at or near redline.

There is a guy on gixxer.com that does alot of tuning and so on, and said that they havent been seeing a noticable lack of power in the low/midrange on the new gsxr's with full systems that dont retain the exhaust valve. there are rumor's that its actually just for noise emissions over 'lower end power'. dont get me wrong, my 06 gsxr600 has plenty of low end and mid range power, alot more than a 05 gsxr600 i rode a while back.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Show-lo car

nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2

im on gixxer.com as well... havnt seen what you were talking about....

but yeah unless your hitting the track drag or road for serious competitive times, a slip on should suffice. and it'll just be your preferance in looks and sound.

i still sometimes have to double check what gear i am in,.. but not often enough where i would even think about spending money and time to add more weight to the bike on something i really dont need.

i have front and rear sliders... there are rear ones out there that will better protect your exhaust... but since you have un undertail... it a different story anyway.

speaking of... a yoshimura representative commented on the undertail systems... even though they make them, its not really a good design. with more bends (restrictions) required to make up the system, more piping and all the weight up high affecting your center of gravity...
Old 04-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Ahight, I just said fuck it and got the GYTR slip-on and a GYTR High Flow air filter.

Quick Reply: A Couple Upgrades Questions