VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Cycle Corner (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/)
-   -   Chrome Polishing (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/chrome-polishing-351609/)

djgrom 06-21-2010 08:22 AM

Chrome Polishing

Now, I have never polished chrome really and I have gone ahead and researched several things online so I am not totally clueless but I would like to see if anyone can give me some specific tips.

I have a jardine pipe on my 500, and because of the nature of how I use the bike I don't spend much time cleaning it. The chrome is really dull now, and looks to be really nasty around where it couples to my header pipes. I want to make this thing as shiny as possible so what is the best method for fixing my past mistakes of not cleaning it regularly?

Also my headers are Jardine and they did not finish them very well. I want to sand them down and repaint them to protect them. What paint is the best to use, and as far as sanding goes what is the best method? Hand, some sort of drill acceccory actual power sander et cetera, what is the best type of sand paper.

-Grom

paperassgasket 06-21-2010 01:09 PM

Re: Chrome Polishing

:) I saw this coming.
I just realized that I have some mirror/glass polish that'll prob work really well for cleaning. If you want to make short work of it then we should get a powerball or powercone a few microfibers, mothers chrome polish and some soft cloths.

the real question is how are we gonna paint the headers?

djgrom 06-21-2010 02:59 PM

With paint and tender love.

skr00zloose 06-22-2010 02:12 PM

no better chrome polish than Turtle wax chrome polish, and it'll remove oxidation/rust.

As far as painting the headers, rattle cans, even high temp stuff, all suck. The first bend out of the head is usually the hardest to keep paint on. If you never want to have to mess with it again, have it jet-coated, which damn near any powdercoater should be able to do.

djgrom 06-22-2010 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by skr00zloose (Post 6398695)
no better chrome polish than Turtle wax chrome polish, and it'll remove oxidation/rust.

As far as painting the headers, rattle cans, even high temp stuff, all suck. The first bend out of the head is usually the hardest to keep paint on. If you never want to have to mess with it again, have it jet-coated, which damn near any powdercoater should be able to do.

How much do you think that would run?

TATTRAT 06-22-2010 04:17 PM

I want you to let me paint the bike, make it a unique gromtastic masterpiece.

djgrom 06-22-2010 04:45 PM

If you really want to...you can paint my race fairings.

skr00zloose 06-24-2010 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by djgrom (Post 6398900)
How much do you think that would run?

get in touch with precision powdercoating (no affiliation, just coincidentally same name as the shop) or J&J powdercoating. Both are in Va Beach, and I have dealt with both, and never had a problem. The owner of J&J rides too, and does alot of motorcycle related powder work. He's good peoples.

djgrom 06-24-2010 06:00 PM

I live in the NOVA now.