Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

chain breaker/riveter

Old 12-28-2004, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seanazzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default chain breaker/riveter

i tried searching to see if anybody's had any experience with this. i just ordered the motionpro breaker/riveter and i'm guessing it's used the same way any of these types of tools are...only the instructions are worthless. anybody able to explain or point me in the right direction? thanks for any info.
sean
Old 12-28-2004, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation
Default Re: chain breaker/riveter

i have it and have done plenty of chains with it successfully but i agree the instructions are less than helpful...

are you trying to break a chain or rivet one? i'm at work now but when i get home i might be able to take some pictures as describing it by words is kind of hard, unless i come home to find ups has delivered my exhaust, in which case your on your own, j/k
Old 12-28-2004, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Del La Sol 1320
i have it and have done plenty of chains with it successfully but i agree the instructions are less than helpful...

are you trying to break a chain or rivet one? i'm at work now but when i get home i might be able to take some pictures as describing it by words is kind of hard, unless i come home to find ups has delivered my exhaust, in which case your on your own, j/k
i'll be doing both actually (and changing sprockets). whenever you can would be awesome...appreciate it man
Old 12-29-2004, 04:42 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Del La Sol 1320

exhaust for the 600...which did you go with?
Old 12-29-2004, 05:26 AM
Registered Member

alright to break the chain if you haven't done so already you know the part that you can put a 14mm socket or so over or you can put that rod through to turn it? you screw that out and insert the proper pin and spring, then screw it back on, you don't use any baseplate, if its a 520 or larger chain you should dremel off the head of the rivet or else you'll break pins, put the rivet on the back through the hole in the bottom of the tool and screw the other side down until the rivet is on the rivet and then take the rod, a socket, or a wrench to turn it and push the rivet out... hopefully that makes sense

to rivet a link you take out the breaker pin and put the plate with two holes in its place, on the bottom fixed portion of the tool put the solid baseplate with a slot in the middle, put the back of the rivets on the solid side and once you have your o-rings and top chain plate put on you line up the plate with the holes over top so you can tighten it down and push the rivets through the plate, i usually tighten a little, back it off to look and re-align and tight down again until i have the rivets showing through maybe 1/8th of an inch... keep the same flat plate on the bottom but take out the plate with two holes and insert the rivet pin like you did the breaker pin, one at a time put it over the head of the rivets and tighten it down, same thing i'll do it a little, back it off and look and do as needed, you don't want to tighten it so much that you break the pins, but enough so the head is mushroomed out enough where it won't be able to slide back through the hole... hope that makes sense i couldn't get any good pictures

yea its for the 600, i got an akrapovic, should be here today
Old 12-29-2004, 05:42 AM
Registered Member

thanks...that should work. with this nice weather i should be getting to it soon and i'm off friday so... hellz yeah!
nice setup on the 600. i want a newer bike so bad, but $$ ...one day (hopefully). my girl's working on getting hers so maybe i'll get to borrow that when she's workin' haha maybe key word there
Old 12-29-2004, 06:06 AM
Registered Member

if you have any other questions just PM me, i've done it plenty of times now but the first time with those horrible instructions i was pretty confused, mainly because they give you like 20 different parts and you only really need to use like 5

yea i really can't wait to get this bike on the track since thats the whole reason i got it
Old 12-29-2004, 06:12 AM
Registered Member

cool...thanks again.
i'm sure you can't wait to get in on the track. i'd be happy to just get on the street with this weather but going out one 30degree day has had my ass sick for like two weeks. whack!!

Last edited by seanazzy; 12-30-2004 at 03:42 AM.