Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Chain?

Old 07-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93DOHC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chain?

I don't know a whole lot about maint. of bikes, but I figured you guys up here would. When I ride I can feel a rattling on my foot pegs, I can also hear something while I am riding, I think it might be the chain. I don't know when it has last been changed, is there a way you can know for sure. I lubed it and got it tightened a little, and it still feels terrible, I am afraid it will pop while I am out somewhere, what are some opinions? If it is the chain, where would I get one from, and are they universal or specific? Are they easy to put on or should I take it to a shop, or do any of you guys do stuff like that? Just need some advice, thanks!
Old 07-17-2006, 10:53 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: Chain?

it's probably your chain. if it's really shot, it'll make a bunch of noise no matter what you do to it. grab one of the rollers on the chain, if it has a bunch of slop in it, it's probably shot. always replace the chain/sprockets as a set. putting a new chain on old sprockets will eat the chain in a hurry, and vise versa. if you need someone to replace the chain/sprockets, let me know, i can do it for alot less than any shop. if you have the parts in hand, i can get it back to you the same day you drop it off, as long as it's somewhat early when it's dropped off.
you can get a chain sprocket set from any decent shop for about $150-$200, depending on what kind of chain, and what size/material the sprockets are. labor wise (foor me to do it anyway) it'd be in the nieghborhood of $50 or so.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:29 AM
Registered Member

lutex1 has disabled reputation

take it from somebody that snapped his chain on his R6 and now is spending over $1000 to fix cracked cases and everything...CHANGE YUR CHAIN....and take it to steve...he is a cool guy and he is doing mine too
Old 07-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

ef9zc has disabled reputation

My shit chatters when ridign 1st gear out with a few bumps on the road i thought mine was my shifter is this possible skrooz sorry to thread jack
Old 07-18-2006, 11:42 AM
hatrs make me famous

it's possible. it's kinda hard to say for sure without having the bike in front of me.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

integrarj has disabled reputation

check your chain and your sprocket, its prolly worn out. either that or you dont have the sprocket in the rear aligned perfect
Old 07-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Fidel runs VBPD

The_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud of

i just change my chain out, it has a link in it, find it, hook new chain to it, and pull new chain through but depending on your mileage you might want to get new sprockets, if your gonna change sprockets you might wanna go up/down a few teeth.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:04 PM
hatrs make me famous

Originally Posted by The_rabbit1
i just change my chain out, it has a link in it, find it, hook new chain to it, and pull new chain through but depending on your mileage you might want to get new sprockets, if your gonna change sprockets you might wanna go up/down a few teeth.

if it's an oem chain, there's no master link, you have to cut the chain off. also, it's not a good idea to replace just the chain, or just the sprockets. putting a new chain on old sprockets wears out the chain fast, and vise versa.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:07 PM
Fidel runs VBPD

The_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud of

i'll bite $50 and ten minutes 2 times a year versus $200 and an hr. once a year.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:11 PM
hatrs make me famous

it's your bike man, you're entitled to do with it what you want. i'm just voicing an experienced opinion. do with it what you want.

Quick Reply: Chain?