Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Buying a bike without test ride?

Old 04-18-2008, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seventytimes7 seventytimes7 seventytimes7 seventytimes7 seventytimes7 seventytimes7 seventytimes7 seventytimes7 seventytimes7 seventytimes7 seventytimes7
Default Buying a bike without test ride?

How common is it that a seller will not allow you to test ride the bike before buying? I am looking to purchase my first bike this weekend and the seller has stated he had a bad experience when selling a bike before when he allowed a prospective buyer to test ride the bike. In many adds I have looked at they clearly state no test rides, I would think to defer possible inexperienced riders and tire kickers from abusing their bike. The seller and I have reached a final price and sorted out all the details except for this fact. I will have an experienced rider with me to check out the bike and to test ride if its allowed.

The bike is an 05 Kawi 636 with 6100 miles, he has maintenance paperwork for 4 oil changes and a system flush, and has never been down.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2008, 08:04 AM
Free Time

octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane
Default Re: Buying a bike without test ride?

I won't let a buyer test ride a bike I'm selling until I have cash in hand. That way, if they drop the bike they bought it. The seller is still responsible from an insurance standpoint though if the rider is hurt or there is other reported property damage. It can be a sticky situation. IMO, if you've agreed on a price and you have the cash, he should let you take a reasonable test ride.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

seventytimes7 seventytimes7 seventytimes7 seventytimes7 seventytimes7 seventytimes7 seventytimes7 seventytimes7 seventytimes7 seventytimes7 seventytimes7

Oh def and I forgot to add i have no problem signing something saying that if anything were to happen I would buy the bike right then and there. I mean the cashiers check will be right with me.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:23 AM

TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean TheGreatLean

Originally Posted by octane
I won't let a buyer test ride a bike I'm selling until I have cash in hand. That way, if they drop the bike they bought it. The seller is still responsible from an insurance standpoint though if the rider is hurt or there is other reported property damage. It can be a sticky situation.
+1

No test rides either, too much risk.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Registered member

D.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud of

Rob! Yes! Thats what I like to hear.

I'm excited! I should be getting mine in the next couple of weeks.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:50 AM
SV haver

chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe

you should be able to ride it/ or have someone ride it the day you come with your moneys in your hand... hand it to him, and ride, then if bike is good, get title and shit... just in case you drop it... u know?..
Old 04-18-2008, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by that *****
Rob! Yes! Thats what I like to hear.

I'm excited! I should be getting mine in the next couple of weeks.
Yes man, get one too! I need someone to ride with, call me as soon as you get it. I take the MSC on the 2nd so it will be a couple weeks until I can ride. And thanks for the responses I am waiting for an e-mail back from the seller.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

xshanex has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by seventytimes7
Yes man, get one too! I need someone to ride with, call me as soon as you get it. I take the MSC on the 2nd so it will be a couple weeks until I can ride. And thanks for the responses I am waiting for an e-mail back from the seller.

I'd let an experienced rider with a MC endorsement test ride if I literally had cash in hand. I would never let a rider that has little to no experience ride it even with cash in hand. I do however offer and will deliver the bike to a shop to get checked out mechanically to make sure everything is good to go. Pretty standard stuff.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

Right, I was not planning on riding the bike myself, I am bringing my friend along who has been riding for about 5 years.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Handling is Key!

Voodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these parts

I HAVE PLENTY OF BIKES FOR SALE!!!!!! No test rides though..... too much liability!

Quick Reply: Buying a bike without test ride?