Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Burning Coolant

Old 07-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOFXpNk05 NOFXpNk05 NOFXpNk05 NOFXpNk05 NOFXpNk05 NOFXpNk05 NOFXpNk05 NOFXpNk05 NOFXpNk05 NOFXpNk05 NOFXpNk05
Default Burning Coolant

Hey guys, so I ride a 2006 ZX6R and I have noticed that I am burning coolant. I did some investigating and have found coolant laying on top of the intake valves of the cylinder that has a fouled plug. This is the only plug that is fouled and this seems to be the reason it has been misfiring. Other than a cracked head, is there any other way I could be getting coolant into the intake path? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:51 AM
yes sir

rollingstock has disabled reputation
Default Re: Burning Coolant

blown head gasket.. do a leak down test
Old 07-26-2011, 03:53 AM
Registered member

SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC SleepySOHC

^what he said, dont start tearing into the head before the leak test. If its the gasket and nothing cracked get a book and start into it. Bikes are fun to work on
Old 07-26-2011, 03:54 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Easiest way to tell if it's a head gasket is to fill up the radiator, then leave the cap off and turn it over. If the coolant starts to flow out of the radiator it's the head gasket. That is also if it is leaking bad enough. Leak down test take to long.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:09 PM
yes sir

rollingstock has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by REDROCKETEER
Easiest way to tell if it's a head gasket is to fill up the radiator, then leave the cap off and turn it over. If the coolant starts to flow out of the radiator it's the head gasket. That is also if it is leaking bad enough. Leak down test take to long.
not always true, you can over fill the radiator and it do this. or with some bikes water pumps flow alot more than others and will do this. also if there is air in the system it will do this. so this test doesnt really work.. it will work on a car to see if the coolent system is being pressized(sp is wrong i know) but still not always a good test. since its not really saying anything. it still back to the bottom line is it a headgasket or cracked block/head.

how would a leak down test take to long?. do you know what/how to do a leak down test?.. its pretty much instant

if you dont have a leak down tester(going to need the tester and a compressor) i would pull the air box, tank, coils, take it to a shop and have them do it. it shouldnt cost much if you have the motor ready to do..