Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

building a motocross track

Old 12-14-2009, 09:51 PM
On One Wheel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sprayedcivic has disabled reputation
Default building a motocross track

ok i am getting ready to start building a track it is gonna be mainly for 50s 60s and 80s there will be a few times i let the bigger bikes out there but to be honest they tear it up to bad , with that said this is going to be put on either a 2 acre plot or a 5-6 acre plot, i have a few designs but thought it would be fun and interesting to see what type of designs any one can come up with. nothing to technical as it is for smaller bikes but still fun and some what chjallenging. keep in mind this is pretty flat land and getting dirt for the jumps is expensive im going to use what i can from the site but may have to buy a little. equioment shouldnt be to much of a issue as i have acces to escavaters tractors and skid steers. if any one is interested in helping they are more than welcome to.

so lets see your designs
Old 12-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E
Default Re: building a motocross track

I don't know what you have access to, but when I used to build BMX trails we would try to bury large objects, like old washers and dryers and fridges and stuff to help cut down on the amount of work and dirt that we needed to move around...not sure if that's a feasible option for you. When I was driving around if I saw something we could use on the curb for trash pick up we'd come back with a truck and grab it.

If I were you I would start by building something similar to a BMX course/trail. Maybe make the jumps a bit bigger and the "technical" sections less "technical." It's gonna be a trial and error thing, and you'll knock down and rebuild a few times to get it going and then occaisionally change things up to keep it interesting.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:19 AM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

I had a track built in my backyard when I was a kid in MN. Instead of bringing in dirt, we dug a huge pond and used that dirt for the jumps and stuff. The track went around the pond. It worked out pretty good.

This is it after about 14 years of non-use:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...15514&t=h&z=16

Last edited by Flite; 12-15-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:55 AM
LaShawn

djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom

Originally Posted by SignfcntOthr
I don't know what you have access to, but when I used to build BMX trails we would try to bury large objects, like old washers and dryers and fridges and stuff to help cut down on the amount of work and dirt that we needed to move around...not sure if that's a feasible option for you. When I was driving around if I saw something we could use on the curb for trash pick up we'd come back with a truck and grab it.

If I were you I would start by building something similar to a BMX course/trail. Maybe make the jumps a bit bigger and the "technical" sections less "technical." It's gonna be a trial and error thing, and you'll knock down and rebuild a few times to get it going and then occaisionally change things up to keep it interesting.
We would use trees that had fallen naturally so they would eventually decay into the jump. I used to build at biketopia and 495 trails btw. Also dig out the land around the track and you can use it for drainage so the track drys faster.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:25 PM
On One Wheel

only problem with burring items is that dirt bike tires spin faster with more force and will eat away at it i would think?
Old 12-15-2009, 04:51 PM
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3

Eventually you'll pack on enough dirt. Even then, keeping up the track needs to be done a lot.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:02 PM
LaShawn

djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom

Originally Posted by sprayedcivic
only problem with burring items is that dirt bike tires spin faster with more force and will eat away at it i would think?
If you are spinning the tire faster then the bike is moving then yes, otherwise dig, pack, ride repeat.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

Yea, like was said previously, this is not something that will be a build and you're done. It's gonna need upkeep. The good part about that is that most of the time the people who ride will help you build.

And good idea about digging out land around the course to help it drain faster.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:15 PM
R.I.P B.K.H & K.D.A.

SlammedScort has disabled reputation

Are you opening this to the public or just friends?
Old 12-16-2009, 03:01 AM
On One Wheel

it is going to be a 50-60-70-60cc track for friends and at times i will invite public out

Quick Reply: building a motocross track