Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Bikes with oil leaks... possible a bigger problem?

Old 07-28-2008, 08:46 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NoRider has disabled reputation
Default Bikes with oil leaks... possible a bigger problem?

A friend of mine is looking into getting an 04 GSXR 600. The seller has been real honest with the history, here are the key points.

- Last owner raced it and dropped it.
- Current owner dropped it as well
- All fairings have cracks
- Had an oil leak and it was repaired.
- Needs complete new fairings and gas tank to be in perfect condition

Now I have a feeling, im going to get "its been raced, just don't even mess with it" but I just want to see what you guys think. He wants 3 grand for it, and the only thing that really bothers me about the history is the oil leak. I have honestly never heard of a bike having one before, and although Im sure they do happen, I'm wondering if on bikes it could be a sign of a bigger problem, possibly something having to do with pressure, or just genuine abuse (from being raced possibly?)
I'm just trying to help a friend out, but I would really appreciate any help. Thanks as always.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

tundrafiend01 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bikes with oil leaks... possible a bigger problem?

Any information on where the oil leak was and how it was fixed?

If the bike runs good, shifts smooth, and rides good, I wouldn't worry too much about the previous oil leaks, depending on where it was leaking from. Unless there was damage to the engine cases from previous drops, the leaks where probably caused by leaky gaskets, which, for the most part, are an easy fix.

If I were you or your friend, I'd try to talk the seller down a bit more before committing to buy. $3000 for a banged up '04 is a fair price.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:15 AM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

I had 2 leaks on my bike when I bought it, one was from the previous owner stripping on of the bolts on the clutch cover, and the other was from the oil filler caps rubber ring being wore out. Both were very inexpensive fixes.

I was also told when I got my bike it had been ridden hard, but he kept up with the maintenance and the only things ive replaced/fixed have been minor. As long as it is maintained while it's been ridden hard I see no problem with it.

edit: BTW mine has 17K on it

Last edited by Spindrift; 07-28-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:27 AM
loved by all

ForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these parts

my previous bike was a race bike turned street bike, it has about 19k miles on it now and 8k were put on since i bought it. it still runs perfect, i know because i sold it to my roomate and its still in my garage. only things its needed were a new tire and new hand grips.

oh and it was crashed end over end at around 90mph too. the cock sucker didnt tell me that thou.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:16 PM
A.K.A Slowintegra92

VADA9 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

if you have never heard of a bike with oil leaks you have never talked to anybody that owned a Harley lol!
Old 07-28-2008, 04:21 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

the only time a harley doesn't leak....

is when it's empty

anyway, i wouldn't be concerned about a leak, especially if it's been fixed. UNLESS is was a severe leak and it was run with a really low oil level. that can and will score bearings, etc.

as far as being raced?? so what, most of the dipshit squids around here beat thier bikes harder than a racer (meaning they don''t have a clue what the hell they're doing, so it's a different, worse, kind of abuse). most racers are pretty good about maintenance, cuz they gotta keep it running great to compete. at least on a racetrack it's being used for what it was pretty much designed for. modern jap sportbikes are built so well that they'll stand up to a HELL of alot of abuse before they actually pop. i've seen bikes with 300+hp on bone stock bottom ends, and they hold up fine.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

NoRider has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by VADA9
if you have never heard of a bike with oil leaks you have never talked to anybody that owned a Harley lol!
haha my friend has a Harley so I've heard of this problem. I just want a bike that actually runs well... can't really use a Harley for comparison

Originally Posted by ForcedFedTeg
my previous bike was a race bike turned street bike, it has about 19k miles on it now and 8k were put on since i bought it. it still runs perfect, i know because i sold it to my roomate and its still in my garage. only things its needed were a new tire and new hand grips.

oh and it was crashed end over end at around 90mph too. the cock sucker didnt tell me that thou.
damn, thats incredible that the bike is sitll fine after a crash like that. Gotta love the Japanese

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
the only time a harley doesn't leak....

is when it's empty

anyway, i wouldn't be concerned about a leak, especially if it's been fixed. UNLESS is was a severe leak and it was run with a really low oil level. that can and will score bearings, etc.

as far as being raced?? so what, most of the dipshit squids around here beat thier bikes harder than a racer (meaning they don''t have a clue what the hell they're doing, so it's a different, worse, kind of abuse). most racers are pretty good about maintenance, cuz they gotta keep it running great to compete. at least on a racetrack it's being used for what it was pretty much designed for. modern jap sportbikes are built so well that they'll stand up to a HELL of alot of abuse before they actually pop. i've seen bikes with 300+hp on bone stock bottom ends, and they hold up fine.
It was a minor leak and I have to agree with you on your comments. I'm not going to say I'm a great rider, and I make my mistakes, but I do think if you take the bike to the track you are far more likely to take really good care of it, and you're right, its being used for what it was made for. Well I'll tell him to go check it out this afternoon. hopefully he'll pick it up or if not that one, another one soon.