VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Cycle Corner (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/)
-   -   bike sizes. (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/bike-sizes-44410/)

octane 03-06-2004 07:59 PM

Re: bike sizes.

It's easier to learn how to ride fast on a slow bike...that may not make much sense to you now, but it will after you've been riding a while. In the long run you're much better off starting on a small bike and working your way up. The 250 Ninja isn't a bad bike, but for a grand I'd look for a Suzuki GS500 or a Ninja 500. I bought a GS500 as a starter bike years ago and never got rid of it. Check out the message board at www.gstwin.com and you'll find a few bikes for sale in your price range and a large, knowledgable group of riders that will be happy to give you info about the bike.

Regardless of what you decide to do about the 250, I wouldn't go any larger than a 600 for a first bike - and even some of the newer 600s can be a handful for an inexperienced rider. Good luck.

_____ 03-10-2004 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by octane
Regardless of what you decide to do about the 250, I wouldn't go any larger than a 600 for a first bike - and even some of the newer 600s can be a handful for an inexperienced rider. Good luck.

I learned on a 250 and tought a few of my friends too. Del is right, they are fun to keep around later just to play around on too. I really suggest a 250 for your first bike cause any 600 other than a katana can be squirlly with somone who has no experience.

Jesus 03-10-2004 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by geonfreaq
I learned on a 250 and tought a few of my friends too. Del is right, they are fun to keep around later just to play around on too. I really suggest a 250 for your first bike cause any 600 other than a katana can be squirlly with somone who has no experience.

:stupid:

CBR600F4 04-03-2004 11:09 PM

A brand new 04 Ninja EX250 costs 3000. So getting a 99 for 1000 could be a good deal; but that depends on the condition of the bike.

My girl just bought an 03 ninja 250 and I think it's a great little bike. I've ridden it a few times. I was very impressed. From riding my F4 for the last two years I didn't think a little 250 would do anything for me......but it was like riding a dirtbike on the street! It's great! And it'll be going with me for every track day this season so I have something to ride down the pits!

But..........................I've met you and I'm not sure you'll be satisfied with the 250. You could outgrow it pretty quick. A Katana 600 or GS500 might be more what you're looking for.

My advice would be to start at least sitting on some friends bikes and see what you feel most comfortable on. And then decide what size would keep your interest the longest.

Good luck with your decision. As long as it has two wheels you made the right one!!!!!!!! :p