Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Bike discussion applied to a study.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Chillaxin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6
Default Bike discussion applied to a study.

**Please respond only if you ride a MOTORCYCLE! If you don't ride it will skew my data otherwise, and I want my research to have some credibility to it.** Your words may be used in my final paper, but you will be represented by pseudo names.**

Hey guys, some of you know me and know that I am currently doing a study on motorcyclists. While I can't get into the details of it, just know that it is a study of understanding things from the point of view of the group of study.

I will pose a few questions for discussion. No one here is right or wrong, and feel free to argue with eachother, but I need some good responses. Feel free to branch off and talk about things that may be pertainent to the study. Please use the language that bikers use, ie cager, squid, etc. Answer these how you wish, you dont need to respond to them all, but if one question gets more attention than others, please choose another.

Questions:

Is there a hierarchy when it comes to motorcycles? ie, In your mind, are you a more valued motorcyclist if you ride a cruiser as opposed to a sportbike?

If you ride a sportbike, what makes you a better rider when compared to other bikers?

Are there varying degrees to being a squid, or is one just a squid? ie, A squid is someone who rides recklessly without gear, however you could still wear full gear and still ride recklessly thus making you a squid?

Are there different style sportbike riders? Some people know there are those that stunt, and those that are for show, and those that came to track race, and others to street race....are any one of these styles valued more than the other.

**I will think of more later, but these should suffice for getting the data I need. Please help me out, one of my core classes for my degree depends on this data and research. Thanks**
Old 11-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

soniccbr has disabled reputation
Default Re: Bike discussion applied to a study.

Is there a hierarchy when it comes to motorcycles? ie, In your mind, are you a more valued motorcyclist if you ride a cruiser as opposed to a sportbike?

I ride everything, so no. I've noticed most riders do thought.

If you ride a sportbike, what makes you a better rider when compared to other bikers?

I feel my experience, seat time, track time, and personal pleasure derived from the enjoyment of two wheeled motion make me a better rider moreso than WHAT I am riding.

Are there varying degrees to being a squid, or is one just a squid? ie, A squid is someone who rides recklessly without gear, however you could still wear full gear and still ride recklessly thus making you a squid?

Even I can have moments of squiddydom, but consistent stupidity and ignorance is very squid.

Are there different style sportbike riders? Some people know there are those that stunt, and those that are for show, and those that came to track race, and others to street race....are any one of these styles valued more than the other.

Leaving personal opinion out of this one.
Just look at the AMA, MotoGP, World Superbike.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

Within the subcultures of motorcycle people might percieve a hierarchy, harley guys think they are the best, sport bike guys think they are the best, touring guys think they are the real riders... but I think anyone that has truely embraced the spirit of motorcycling doesn't see it like that and knows if you ride a bike your cool.

The bike itself is capable of better performance, and alot of guys on sport bikes ride harder or do track days so their abilities are higher compared to riders of other kinds of bikes.

Definetly varying degrees, if you ride a sport bike and NEVER break the law or the speed limit or push your limits even slightly then your on the wrong kind of bike. So even people that might consider themselves the anti-squid still have a little bit in them. I think the biggest determining factor is knowing better, you might know you should wear your gear but choose not to, as opposed to someone who refuses to because it makes them look gay.

Again I think everyone thinks their own style is the best, a few years ago it seemed like stunting was really the most popular, but it seems like lately track riding has alot more respect to street riders
Old 11-10-2006, 09:19 AM
CLUTCH IT UP

Armenian has disabled reputation

I already posted this in the other forum here's my view:

Originally Posted by Keneda

No everybody rides whatever they ride and value whoever they wish to value whether its blinged out busas, choppers, fighters, super-motos, stunt bikes, the list can go on forever.

This question is too general. Most will probably say experience, seat time, etc. It really depends on which aspect of motorcycling your talking about--track riding?, stunt riding?, drag racing? Or all of the above? And better than who? I personally think it's pretty lame to try and say your "better" than someone else-we're all friends we all do the same thing-"ride". Only fair time to really see who the best rider is-is to compete! Actions always speak louder than words!

Everybody has they're own opinion of the definition of a squid. Some people think doing stunts without proper protective equipment is squid. Some people think your new rider that purchases a liter (1000cc) sportbike is a squid. Some people think doing stunts on the street is squidly. I am a squid to many people because I stunt without PPE on occasions. But the key to it all is to accept the fact that we are all squids in one way or another. Speeding on interstates is squidly. Kickstanding at the beach for hours upon hours is squidly! Dragging knee in Pungo is squid! I could go on for days. Bottom line: squid is like being called a dumbass in the biker community. Its usually used in context of an argument such as when a friend borrows a friends bike and wrecks while wearing flip-flops and no helmet. ie "Fukin squid!" I never take it personal if I'm called a squid. I will probably agree.

Yup there sure are different style riders just like you said. In general, track day riders are valued the most because they are already established, widely know, and push bikes to the limits of speed around a track. Stuntriding in general is generally frowned upon because of its recklessness and illegalities. It's not very established yet and still somewhat underground (I still to this day get people that ask me why my tank is dented in and what 2 clutch levers are for) Bottom line: everyone values who they want. Some people value the top racers, some people value top stunters. Since I stunt, I VALUE the riders that stunt better than me to learn-And as far as everyone else, as long as i get respect, i give respect whether its racers, stunters, cruiser riders, dirt bike riders, etc. etc. etc....

Old 11-10-2006, 10:57 AM
GO GO GODZILLA!

Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto

Questions:

Every different rider probably thinks they are the best. But in the end riders are riders, such as fellow riders helping each other out, if they break down on the road ..or worse crashes.

well if you ride a sportsbike to the limit, and what its designed to be capable of, the bike demands skill. not everyone can just jump on a sportsbike and start dragging knee. that would i guess mean "better rider." doesn't mean that a sportsbike RIDER is any better of a person or rider then anyone else.

squidie.. everyone has their moments, but then there are those that just must live to attract attention. a lot comparable to a ricer in the automotive world. a squid is a squid, nothing more, nothing less. but then everyone has been a squid sometime or other, its just a part of the motorcycle world.

definatly different styles of sportbike riders. people hittin' twisties, stunters, people that build crotch rockets, show bikes, etc. couldn't say there is something thats more valued more then anything else, just personal preference. i would say that track racing is more reputable since its a promoted, sponsored, official sport.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:56 PM
d00d

duder is an unknown quantity at this point

Among some, yes there is hierarchy. However, I do not feel this way. Each class of motorcycles feels, rides, and performs differently. You can't just say one kind is better than another because it depends on what you enjoy doing. Then again, we've got stereotypes among all types of riders. Some riders that I know think Harley riders are assholes, and some older riders I also know think that sportbike riders are just stupid kids that want to kill themselves on the road. Sometimes you get riders from both classes confriming the stereotype, but for the most part all the riders I've meant have been friendly, safe, and respectful towards other riders.

I ride a sport bike and do not feel I am better than anyone. I also feel this way because I am a begginner and still have much to learn. It doesn't matter what kind of bike you ride, if you're riding on two wheels than you have more respect from me than the cagers who constantly cut us off and run red lights.

I feel that people who ride recklessly do so at their own risk. There's not really a distinction in my opinion. If it's a chance you want to take (with gear or not) that's your business and I'm sure as hell not going to get in your way.

Most sportbike riders, to me, just seem to enjoy riding and occassionally (or all the time) push it to the envelope because it's a thrill. There are different styles, but in the end it doesn't amtter how you ride, you still ride a sportbike.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Banned

AlWaYsBoOsTiN is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say that I have only had my bike a short while and I have laid it down. I have noticed that sport bike riders for the most part... do not hate too much on the Harley riders. It is the Harley riders that show alot of bad attitude towards the rest.

Just the position of the person on the bike, gives more control and better handling. Not to mention a much better weight balance. Also hand position is pretty critical. can you imagine trying to make a recovery from hitting a pot hole or something in the road if your hands are 12 inches above your head? (like ape hanger handle bars?) Plus the sport bike is built for just that... sports... it is built for performance... so the bike is designed to out perform all the other bikes.

I see these guys all the time. It is the ones driving down the shoulder lane in traffic or down the line to beat cars to an exit. I am not going to say that I have never weaved in and out of traffic and opened up my bike. but to see these guys do it in heavy traffic.. I dont think squid... i think RETARD!!! all it takes is a lane change on some impatient moron and you are road glue.

well... when you buy a sport bike.. you are a street racer.. if you want to be or not. you will pop the clutch. You will get on it. Nobody has a sport bike that stays below 5,000 rpms. I originally got my bike just cause I like the looks of a sport bike.. but I was rompin on the gas the first time I got on the bike. as far as stunt riders.. those pretty much are the squids. anything to get attention. if it means you have to slam your bike down or face plant to get it.. so be it.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:53 PM
CLUTCH IT UP

Originally Posted by AlWaYsBoOsTiN
as far as stunt riders.. those pretty much are the squids.
Ignorant. Calling all stuntriders squids. RESPECT. Learn it before you go bashing a style of riding you obviously know NOTHING about.

Last edited by Armenian; 11-10-2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:58 PM
CLUTCH IT UP

Originally Posted by AlWaYsBoOsTiN
well... when you buy a sport bike.. you are a street racer.. if you want to be or not. you will pop the clutch.
streeeeet racerrrr LOL I think you've been watching too many Biker Boyz flicks. I like to pop my clutch.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:26 PM
FTP! Cop's Lie!

R1Buttercup is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Armenian
streeeeet racerrrr LOL I think you've been watching too many Biker Boyz flicks. I like to pop my clutch.
LMAO I thought u were a "biker boy" j/k

Stunter's have a bad rap, not all do fly by wheelies on the freeway & stunt dangerously. It's become a sport just like drifting and racing.

Quick Reply: Bike discussion applied to a study.