Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Avoiding trouble with the police...

Old 09-03-2006, 09:02 PM
wub wub wub wub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla
Default Avoiding trouble with the police...

Well, I was riding around kind of late tonight because I wanted to get out for a while.. I was by myself since all the guys were probably in bed already, and just cruising down the road heading home after about 2 hours of riding all over the place. There were a lot of police out, and I was watching my speed pretty carefully. The road I was on has a lot of speed limit changes in a short distance, and I know where the police sit if they're going to take radar on that road.. I'm approaching an intersection with a red light and I look over and see a police officer sitting right off of the road in a small parking lot shooting radar, maybe 50 yards away from where I was, right next to the red light. I look down and see an indicated speed of approximately 40mph, and the speed limit JUST changed from 35 to 25 right about the time I looked down to check the speed.. I don't necessarily know that the average police officer is going to pull a motorcycle over, given the circumstances, but I wasn't going to take a chance.

...are you wondering what I mean when I say I wasn't going to take a chance? No, I didn't drop a couple gears and go wide open throttle through the red light initiating a high speed police chase. No, I didn't fire my radiator mounted missle launcher at him.. How did I avoid being hassled? I pulled over and asked him a question. Hahaha! I braked smoothly, threw on my turn signal, and pulled into the parking lot next to his door. I think I really caught him off guard at that point, but he turned to me and I asked him politely if he minded answering a question for me. I gave a brief BS background about how I just moved here from Kentucky, and how we had a law in Kentucky stating you must have a faceshield or eye protection when traveling above 35mph and I didn't want to be hassled if I'm riding with my faceshield up/open on a relatively slow moving road, and asked if there were any laws to look out for here in Virginia and whether or not it was legal to ride with your faceshield up. He said "Naw, you don't even have to have a faceshield here in Virginia! You're good!" and kind of chuckled at my stupid question. "Thanks officer! Have a good night, man." . . . he said "You too bud!" and I pulled out of the parking lot and finished my trip home. I really was curious if there were any faceshield laws here in Virginia, but the rest of the story was bogus, and I've lived here the majority of my life.. but I mainly pulled over to talk to him in hopes that I wouldn't have to ask that question while he was asking me to sign the back of my speeding ticket.

Was this most likely completely unnecessary? Sure. Could I have just kept going and most likely not been messed with? Who knows. That's why I pulled over. The last thing I need right now is another speeding ticket, and I'm definitely going to be more careful on that stretch of road. I guess it's easy to let your speed get away from you on the Kawasaki's.. I can usually tell how fast I'm going without looking, and I surely didn't think I was doing 40mph.

Anyway, just thought I'd post this. Maybe it will work for some of you one day!
Old 09-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey
Default Re: Avoiding trouble with the police...

You're so slick Adam. You must be borred too. That's one hell of a long post. lol
Old 09-04-2006, 01:29 AM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

Originally Posted by Corey
You're so slick Adam. You must be borred too. That's one hell of a long post. lol
+1
Saw all the lines and ran 4 cover
Old 09-04-2006, 05:07 AM
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3

I could have swore I saw that you had to had eye protection.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:20 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

you do have to have eye protection. that doesn't mean the officer was wrong, if he said you didn't have to have a face shield. even just regular eye glasses counts for eye protection.

and btw, don't always believe what an officer tells you is "the law". alot of times, they just don't know. i've gotten pulled for many things that aren't illegal, but the officer thought it was. (like not having a speedo, signals, etc)

and be carefull rolling up on cops in the middle of the night like that, they might spook easy. you may have nothing but good intentions, but they don't know that yet, and i'd hate to see someone get accidentally shot.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:48 AM
ASE Master

onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
and btw, don't always believe what an officer tells you is "the law". alot of times, they just don't know. i've gotten pulled for many things that aren't illegal, but the officer thought it was. (like not having a speedo, signals, etc).

i got pulled yesterday by a cop taking radar in a neighborhood for the way my license plate was mounted. he was trying to give me a ticket for aftermarket exhaust, but the bike is completely stock. i had to argue with him about it not being aftermarket and he just wouldnt believe me.

he looked my bike over with a fine tooth comb,even getting down on his knees a couple times. couldnt find anything aftermarket on it. he gave me shit about wearing racing boots on the street, gave me some more shit about having my tires scrub'd all the way to the edge, and tried lecturing me on some other stuff. he gave me a ticket for improper mounting, and another one for no license plate light. then he had the nerve to try to shake my hand when we were parting ways.. i replied with a "no thanks, im good", and left.. i know its my fault for having it mounted like that, but he was definately being a dick and trying to stick me with anything he could, which wasnt much...

Last edited by onepointone; 09-04-2006 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:52 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
you do have to have eye protection. that doesn't mean the officer was wrong, if he said you didn't have to have a face shield. even just regular eye glasses counts for eye protection.

and btw, don't always believe what an officer tells you is "the law". alot of times, they just don't know. i've gotten pulled for many things that aren't illegal, but the officer thought it was. (like not having a speedo, signals, etc)

and be carefull rolling up on cops in the middle of the night like that, they might spook easy. you may have nothing but good intentions, but they don't know that yet, and i'd hate to see someone get accidentally shot.

Accidentally shot? Yeah, I'd hate to accidentally become a millionaire if I accidentally lived..
Old 09-04-2006, 07:35 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
Accidentally shot? Yeah, I'd hate to accidentally become a millionaire if I accidentally lived..
lol, you know what i meant.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:19 AM
ASE Master

onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work

haha
Old 09-04-2006, 10:10 AM
Damn!That was fun...

Corruptor has disabled reputation

I was under the impression that there was no law about aftermarket exhaust on bikes.

Quick Reply: Avoiding trouble with the police...