Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

ATTN: BACKYARD MECHANICS

Old 07-01-2007, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zx636skiv is on a distinguished road
Default ATTN: BACKYARD MECHANICS

Just a hint...when you do your own oil changes, make sure you put some oil (just a small amount will do) to the gasket on the oil filter. This way when the next guy has to do an oil change on your bike, the filter is actually able to come off in one piece with little or no effort! Also, the filter doesn't have to be put on any tighter than hand tight...don't use pliars or a pipe wrench when installing it. I have an hour and a half in this one, and haven't even gotten the filter to turn...guess it's coming off in pieces. Time to get the die grinder out...carefully.

Oh yeah, and don't use vice grips on the oil drain plug. This pretty much ensues extra charges by your neighborhood mechanic...and a new drain plug marked up drastically!!

And before everyone jumps me...the owner of this particular bike isn't even on these forums, so I'm not pointing fingers or accusing; just making suggestions. This also applies to your cars and trucks. Took me 6 hours once to change the oil and filter in a '94 Chevy Van...

Last edited by zx636skiv; 07-01-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Mini Trucker.

Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower
Default Re: ATTN: BACKYARD MECHANICS

Hammer a screwdriver through the center and use it as leverage to turn it.

Or buy a filter wrench. Cant be on there that tight.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:19 PM

Tried two different filter wrenches. The socket type actually twisted the filter! The wrench type compressed it. And the screwdriver throught the filter just made holes in it...that got bigger as I twisted. Hasn't budged a millimeter. I am bringing out a chisel next with the ball peen hammer.

I will have to take some pics when I am done!!
Old 07-01-2007, 12:20 PM
RIP Chris Schader

g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x

if the engine was hot, it would be easier to come off.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Mini Trucker.

Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower

Originally Posted by zx636skiv
Tried two different filter wrenches. The socket type actually twisted the filter! The wrench type compressed it. And the screwdriver throught the filter just made holes in it...that got bigger as I twisted. Hasn't budged a millimeter. I am bringing out a chisel next with the ball peen hammer.

I will have to take some pics when I am done!!

Haha. Damn. Id mount that thing on my wall once I got it off. Good luck.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:40 PM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

damn thats shitty
Old 07-01-2007, 01:09 PM

Ok, it's off!!! I guess I had to get a big enough wrench, PB Blaster, a hammer, and a chisel. And it actually came off in one piece!! It doesn't much resemble an oil filter though! The problem seems to be that there were two gaskets on there, plus a lack of lubricant when it was installed....

But it's off, that's the important part. And maybe I will mount it to a plack and give it to the rightful owner!!
Old 07-01-2007, 01:32 PM
GLHF

WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo

i was going to suggest PB as soon as i read the first post, been there before man
Old 07-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

it took me forever to change the oil on my bike due to the prior guy screwing up
I feel your pain dude
Old 07-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Uno Mas

p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone

Wait a minute... it had two gaskets and still held oil? Probably explains why it was so tight, it takes some serious turning to get a filter tight with two gaskets.

Quick Reply: ATTN: BACKYARD MECHANICS