Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Anyone here with 2015 Vulcan S experience? Also, decent local dealer?

Old 05-26-2015, 03:14 PM
DA LEPRAHKAHNZ GOLLD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt
Default Anyone here with 2015 Vulcan S experience? Also, decent local dealer?

*Edit - I rarely am on the forums anymore, so if through out this thread I some how violated a rule, I apologize. I am sure they've changed many times over the years, just let me know and I'll fix it.

Little background information for my question - It's been approximately 5 years since I've owned a motorcycle. I owned a Katana 600 (extremely forgiving 600 for those not familiar). Recently I've been really thinking hard about riding again. I'm still licensed, however I still plan on doing the MS course in August before I actually purchase anything.

Question #1 (Easier for reference if you respond)

So I started looking at entry level bikes. I am not interested in a 600 Super Sport by any means, I still consider myself a new/novice rider and am looking accordingly. The two I find pretty interesting were the Yamaha R3 and the Vulcan S (parallel twin 650, around mid 50's in HP I believe). I recently went to Cycle City Corp (it's close to me), so I could see it in person. I really liked the Vulcan S in person, but it does have a high price tag comparatively to the R3. However, but look very nice.

The question is, have you had any experience with either bike and what were your thoughts? Also, were you a new rider and this was a new experience, or an experienced rider just riding one? Pro's and Con's if available. If it was the Vulcan, did the "Ergo Fit" really seem to make the bike fit you better? Or really anything else of importance you can think of that I didn't ask is welcomed.

Question #2

What local dealerships have you dealt with and what were your experiences? Like I said I went to Cycle City Corp, and I'm not here to trash them, however I was less then impressed with my visit and would like to hear of other places in the area. (Now, I'm on the Hampton side of the Bridge, actually Gloucester, but I realize I'm probably stuck with traveling across the water)

I plan to do a little window shopping before then (Trying things on, getting sizes, seeing what I want). It's with the full intention of eventually buying though. So I am looking for a store that is willing to be helpful even if they're not going to necessarily make a buck that day. I'm the type I'd rather spend $20 more on a helmet from a store that's been helpful in the past, instead of saving $20 on a helmet online. However, with my last experience, I'd take my chances on line so far.

Question #3

Until I get a bike, and I've owned one a while and I am comfortable servicing it myself I'll be taking it to a shop. Do you all have any recommendations of a balance between reasonably priced and quality service in the area? Back when I rode (though briefly) I remember a place on Mercury in Hampton that maybe skr00zloose? worked at that I had my bike serviced at. However, I believe that's long since been closed. So again, I'm expecting to have to go across the water.

That's all I can really think of now. Other bikes I looked at were the Ninja 250r/300r, cbr300, Hyosung GT250R. To be honest, they all, including the Vulcan seemed to fit what I'm looking for, so then it came down to aesthetics. However, again I'm asking you all for advice. So, if you think there is something I missed or would like to interject, please do so!

I did go through the stickies, some of it dated, but still lots of useful information. I'll be reading Twist of the Wrist II that I found in there.

Also, I am not sure if it matters really, because even a 250 is powerful enough to haul two people, but I'm 5'8 and kind of a fatty these days (damn 12 hour shifts). However, I do realize a fat guy on a sport bike is kind of like comedy gold on two wheels going down the road But I've already come to grips with that if I decide on the R3.

And if you're experienced, but maybe haven't seen them, I'll post links below for the R3 and Vulcan S, I must say the Vulcan S surprised me in person, it's appealing to the eye for sure.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2015-VULCAN-S-ABS

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/models/yzf-r3
Old 05-27-2015, 05:38 AM
Registered member

JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74
Default Re: Anyone here with 2015 Vulcan S experience? Also, decent local dealer?

Question 1: I would take a look at a FZ-07. I have one and it is my third bike. Seems to be in genre you are looking for. They get pretty good reviews and I love mine, plenty of power but not too much. The best part is the bike is under 400 lbs wet.

Question 2: I have only dealt with Cycle City for a new bike. They seemed ok the one time I used them. Don't plan on getting any discounts though.

Question 3: Any service I can't do myself I get done and D&D in Norfolk. They used to be a Triumph dealer and they came recommended by my father-in-law who owns a couple Triumphs.

HTH
Old 05-27-2015, 06:46 AM
DA LEPRAHKAHNZ GOLLD

TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt
Default Re: Anyone here with 2015 Vulcan S experience? Also, decent local dealer?

Awesome,I appreciate the feed back. I'll do some reading on the FZ
Old 05-28-2015, 01:48 AM
Audi Fan

keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz

Originally Posted by TheGentleArt
Awesome,I appreciate the feed back. I'll do some reading on the FZ
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/mcy/5039442826.html
Old 05-28-2015, 03:41 PM
DA LEPRAHKAHNZ GOLLD

Keef, thanks for the link. It looks like a solid deal. I'm not quite ready to buy yet. I'd still like to do the MSF course before purchase, but the FZ is pretty appealing. I think I have a third canidate to try to test ride . Just to find a motorcycle dealer that's good to work with.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:49 PM
MARK IT ZERO

ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout

I've hard horrid times at all local dealers.

Village Motorsports is a bit of a drive but they usually have killer deals and I've not heard a bad word about them.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:37 PM
LickMyButthole

yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99 yeldak99

If you're interested in a Triumph, Fobangah is some sort of manager or something at Scoot Richmond.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:43 PM
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar

you talking about the village motorsports in unionville? that's a hell of a drive from the norfolk area. (might be taking my gs500f there for repair). if you're going that far.. might as well add another couple of hours for romney cycle center in wv. they're the cheapest place around.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:47 PM
DA LEPRAHKAHNZ GOLLD

Keef, thanks for the link. It looks like a solid deal. I'm not quite ready to buy yet. I'd still like to do the MSF course before purchase, but the FZ is pretty appealing. I think I have a third canidate to try to test ride . Just to find a motorcycle dealer that's good to work with.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:49 PM
DA LEPRAHKAHNZ GOLLD

Yeld,I think they look great, but are too much for be to start back on.

Quick Reply: Anyone here with 2015 Vulcan S experience? Also, decent local dealer?