Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

99 gsxr 600 help

Old 08-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2tonehatch has a spectacular aura about2tonehatch has a spectacular aura about2tonehatch has a spectacular aura about
Default 99 gsxr 600 help

hello first off this is my first bike and i got a good deal on it .. well here goes its a 99 gsxr 600 i normally start it up every other day starts up fine . but this time i started it up and it began to knock but went away once bike was warmed up.. and then it began to knock again.

so i cut the bike off, and notced the the oil window was smoky so i took off the oil cap and noticed it was milky. so i know thats not a good sign some people say it could be a blown head gasket if so how hard to replace or would it be cheaper just to rebuild the whole engine?

I'm new to the bike scene so any good input would be great thanks....
Old 08-01-2009, 10:18 PM
TRIED HIS GT!

FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT
Default Re: 99 gsxr 600 help

Rebuilding a bike engine is the same as rebuilding a car engine.. just on a smaller scale. And you cant do it while it is in the bike like you can a car.

The engine will have to be removed and rebuilt. If it has alot of miles on it. Since you are going to be redoing the head gasket and it has a knock. I would suggest at minimum a rebuild.

You can also look into finding a wrecked bike and getting the engine from it. With it being a 10 year old bike, so parts bikes shouldn't be but so expensive. It would be a cheaper route to go if that is what you are looking for.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

98formulaLS1 will become famous soon enough

You really ought to wait for the input from Skr00z, but if a knock in a bike is the same as in a car, then yes, it requires a rebuild.

BUT, if a knock in a bike is sometimes a side effect of a blown HG, then replacing the HG will be easy.

don't take this advice as 100% true until skr00z comments on this.

btw, getting a replacement engine complete from a donor bike is also a good idea too!
Old 08-02-2009, 09:34 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

milky oil is a dead give-away of a blown head gasket. That's not actually that big a deal.

The knock is what I would be more concerned about. If the head gasket has been leaking for a while, the coolant mixing with the oil thins it out, and that can cause bearing faliure. Not saying that's what it is, but it's a safe bet. Also, water doesn't compress like gas does, so if one or more cylinders had too much water leaked into them, when that piston rises and tries to compress the water/coolant, it can bend rods, and tear up big end rod bearings.

If it spun a bearing, you're looking at replacing the crank, all the bearings, and possibly some other parts. You can't grind/polish the crank and use oversized bearings like you can on a car, you have to replace everything ($$).

Your best bet is to tear the motor down to parade rest, and inspect everything for damage.

Or... just buy a used motor, you can probably find one for the cost of a new crank/bearings for your existing motor.

oh, and... a 750 motor will go right into your 600's frame with no mods , and there are ways to make a 'busa motor fit too, lol. Though, seeing as this is your first bike, I wouldn't recommend that particular swap.

*edit- if you drain the oil from the bike thru a very fine screen, and you see ANY copper shavings or flakes, you spun a rod and/or main bearing. Not saying that if there's no copper in it that you didn't spin a bearing, but seeing as how you have to drain the nasty oil/coolant mix from the motor anyway, might as well check and see. If you find any, hopnestly, unless you don't mind paying out the ass to rebuild it, I'd start looking for a good used motor.

Last edited by skr00zloose; 08-02-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

2tonehatch has a spectacular aura about2tonehatch has a spectacular aura about2tonehatch has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
milky oil is a dead give-away of a blown head gasket. That's not actually that big a deal.

The knock is what I would be more concerned about. If the head gasket has been leaking for a while, the coolant mixing with the oil thins it out, and that can cause bearing faliure. Not saying that's what it is, but it's a safe bet. Also, water doesn't compress like gas does, so if one or more cylinders had too much water leaked into them, when that piston rises and tries to compress the water/coolant, it can bend rods, and tear up big end rod bearings.

If it spun a bearing, you're looking at replacing the crank, all the bearings, and possibly some other parts. You can't grind/polish the crank and use oversized bearings like you can on a car, you have to replace everything ($$).

Your best bet is to tear the motor down to parade rest, and inspect everything for damage.

Or... just buy a used motor, you can probably find one for the cost of a new crank/bearings for your existing motor.

oh, and... a 750 motor will go right into your 600's frame with no mods , and there are ways to make a 'busa motor fit too, lol. Though, seeing as this is your first bike, I wouldn't recommend that particular swap.

*edit- if you drain the oil from the bike thru a very fine screen, and you see ANY copper shavings or flakes, you spun a rod and/or main bearing. Not saying that if there's no copper in it that you didn't spin a bearing, but seeing as how you have to drain the nasty oil/coolant mix from the motor anyway, might as well check and see. If you find any, hopnestly, unless you don't mind paying out the ass to rebuild it, I'd start looking for a good used motor.

thank you for all your input about my problem with my bike. hopefully its just the head gasket cause its never really left my neigborhood cause i didnt register it yet i would just take it around the block to keep a charge on the bike lol.... but on another note worst case scenerio

if i have to replace the engine were would be a good place to get another motor 600 or 750 the same year?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:43 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

ebay, or start looking for motorcycle salvage yards all over the country. You'll be hard pressed to find one local, but shipping a motor isn't THAT bad. I bought my 1200 motor for my old gsxr from a shop in GA, and had it shipped here. If I remember right, it cost about 100 bucks to ship it via truck.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:41 PM
TRIED HIS GT!

FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT

Wow.... was unaware that i didn't know what i was talking about. even though my suggestion was pretty much identical. That's pretty sweet.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by FairladyZTT
Wow.... was unaware that i didn't know what i was talking about. even though my suggestion was pretty much identical. That's pretty sweet.
no don't take any offense i was thanking everyone for there input on the situation that i'm in with my bike sorry if it offended you