VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Cycle Corner (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/)
-   -   98 SRAD why you no start? (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/98-srad-why-you-no-start-452019/)

Hooch 09-03-2012 06:35 PM

98 SRAD why you no start?

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/...g/26170819.jpg

98 GSX-R 750 injected

EDIT: ok so i got it started, the kickstand wire had gotten yanked out yesterday and i had to wedge my fat hands into some small spaces. SIDE NOTE i took it for a late afternoon ride down through Varina figuring i would have the road mostly to myself just to put along for awhile. HOWEVER after about 2 hours of riding the bike started to act up, it wants to loose almost all power when under heavy throttle....hell i wouldnt even call it heavy throttle, more like moderately quick? idk anyways more time on google

and the FI light is still on blinking both oil and temp, even though oil is fresh and at fill line and the temp is staying under 200?

fucka duck

dyoungin' 09-04-2012 07:39 AM

Re: 98 SRAD why you no start?

I had an issue with my kickstand sensor one time on an old GS500F that would not let it start. You can either replace the sensor or just bridge the wires together so the bike 'thinks' the stand is always up.

I'm not sure about all the warning lights coming on, though.

Hooch 09-04-2012 09:54 AM

Imma try that and the clutch safety switch tonight. At first I thought they couldnt be it because I had read those wouldnt effect trying to start the bike while its currently in neutral. BUT.....ill try just about anything at the moment.

Hooch 09-04-2012 05:18 PM

damn kickstand sensor...Original post edited.

dyoungin' 09-05-2012 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mr White (Post 7924843)
damn kickstand sensor...Original post edited.

:thup: glad you got that sorted. Way easier to diagnose when it actually runs!

Was it parked before you bought it for a while or in storage? Could be crappy gas or a shit ton of fuel stabilizer. I don't know much about SRAD models, but read about the oil. Some bikes hate having a full oil level and the oil could be old- a good sign oil has lost its properties if you have a tough time finding neutral or you get false neutrals when riding and selecting gears. How fresh is the oil?

Have you tried resetting the bikes electrical system? I know most bikes have a how to on getting the bike in 'dealer mode' or 'service mode' which will reset everything. Most likely it involves disconnecting battery then removing thenwired connectors from the ecu under the seat, waiting about 10 mins, the reconnecting in reverse order. While you are all those wires off, look for dirt/corrosion and stressed wiring. Get some contact cleaner and some dielectric grease and clean the contacts while it's apart.

100 ~ PROOF 09-05-2012 05:59 AM

Absolutely love these bikes. GLWRepair buddy.

ufctapout 09-05-2012 06:04 AM

Seafoam.

Hooch 09-05-2012 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by dyoungin' (Post 7925245)
:thup: glad you got that sorted. Way easier to diagnose when it actually runs!

Was it parked before you bought it for a while or in storage? Could be crappy gas or a shit ton of fuel stabilizer. I don't know much about SRAD models, but read about the oil. Some bikes hate having a full oil level and the oil could be old- a good sign oil has lost its properties if you have a tough time finding neutral or you get false neutrals when riding and selecting gears. How fresh is the oil?

Have you tried resetting the bikes electrical system? I know most bikes have a how to on getting the bike in 'dealer mode' or 'service mode' which will reset everything. Most likely it involves disconnecting battery then removing thenwired connectors from the ecu under the seat, waiting about 10 mins, the reconnecting in reverse order. While you are all those wires off, look for dirt/corrosion and stressed wiring. Get some contact cleaner and some dielectric grease and clean the contacts while it's apart.

I dont think the bike was sitting, when i met up with the guy i bought it from last friday he was out riding with his wife when i had called him and we met up while he was out n about. As far as the oil goes he "SAYS" it was changed within the last 1k-1200 miles, this could be BS but i suppose i should just go ahead and pick up some rotella regardless.

Edit: Terminals look good and clean, i unhooked the battery and ecu and left unhooked for about 20 minutes, but its didnt fix anything :( To set in dealer mode i think i have to go to a plug in the cargo area under passenger seat and go in with a paper clip like you would on older car CELs....and now its been raining and pretty dark.

First time ive ever tried to trouble shoot a bike so you guys are being a great deal of help. ive been busting my head on google since i got home but keep finding similar issues but all carb bikes...none FI

Originally Posted by SHOTZY (Post 7925250)
Absolutely love these bikes. GLWRepair buddy.

Likewise, been plotting on one for quite awhile now. NOW I HAVE IT and now i get to work on it ;)

Originally Posted by ufctapout (Post 7925259)
Seafoam.

Ya i had thought about grabbing some in the morning, i have about an hour before i have to leave again so just wont have the time tonight :( i had also considered fuel pressure regulator...it feels exactly the same as when the FPR went out in my 08 gti lol

thanks again people, ill keep the original post updated with any new info and also keep drilling google on my phone while im out to dinner with the in laws lol.

Halfrican 09-06-2012 06:23 PM

98 SRAD why you no start?

Wow, sounds like a Ducati.

Where are you located?

This was fuel injected, myes? I'd check plugs and everything too with the seafoam.

Honestly, sounds like might have a short some where.

Hooch 09-07-2012 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Halfrican (Post 7927122)
Wow, sounds like a Ducati.

Where are you located?

This was fuel injected, myes? I'd check plugs and everything too with the seafoam.

Honestly, sounds like might have a short some where.

Richmond, if you`re familiar with the area im just a lil ways past rockettes landing off rt 5.

Well i sea foamed her yesterday and filled up with some premium but didn't actually solve anything.. The issue doesn't seem to start till i've been on the road for awhile. I road for about an hour around town before it started cutting out on me again so i went back out and grabbed some spark plugs. Hoping i have enough time today to change those out today but unfortunately i've just been incredibly busy with work and the ol lady....she already hates my bike and wishes i never bought it.

One week and i'm already being told i spend more time with the bike than her....seriously, this crap already?

so the order im going to trouble shoot things is...
-plugs
-short...i hate electrical >.<
-fuel pump
-FP regulator
-????
-Profit...i hope

Basically when i start to accelerate it will act like i completely let go of the throttle, soon as i let off and ease back in i can slowly get back into it BUT if i flick the wrist to quickly it will just cut all over again. Ive Googled this issue night after night and i find million of threads with people who had the same problem except NO DEFINITE SOLUTION not a damn thing...just more people bumping the thread with the same problem lol. How encouraging lol....

Side note, i get home last night and my dads sitting in my driveway trying to call me, i turn the bike off to talk to him and then it wont start back up, doesnt even attempt to crank. Wake up this morning and it cranks right up and runs smooth as butter all the way to work. FML lol this bike confuses me.