Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

'91 Bandit 400, All was well until...

Old 03-02-2007, 03:31 PM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE
Default '91 Bandit 400, All was well until...

All was well when I picked up the bike until i got it inspected...the guy who did my inspection might have fucked it up...the chain was really really loose from day-1 which i wasn't too worried about b/c i was gonna tighten it up anyway, but when the inspector rode the bike in, he snapped the throttle kinda hard in 1st gear (might have been 2nd) right after that i rode the bike and all seemed well (i only went around the parking lot...maybe..15-20mph)...parked, then near the end of the day we tightened the chain using even turns on either side of the swing arm (tensioner nuts) i measured the marks on the swing arm window (the hash marks) and then the threads on the studs on either side of the tensioner things (i had angelo assisting me while doing this, since he changed the sprocket on his F4i, i figured he knew what he was doing)

i went to take the bike back home and it was making this horrible knocking sound whenever i was decelerating in gear, if i was accelerating it didn't make any noise, i was thinking "maybe the chain's too tight" since when im accelerating the slacks gone, or whatever...so then we loosened the chain to almost where it was originally, but now the noise is quieter, but reversed, it makes noise under acceleration, not under deceleration... another thing im kinda confused about is when the bike's on its center stand and the tranny is in neutral, i was spinning the back tire and the chain would be loose, and then at certain spots while spinning get tighter...

so i got to the point where i just adjusted it where when it was "tight" it had "enough" play and when its loose its about as lose as when i first got it. my question mainly is could the chain have jumped when he snapped the throttle? causing an uneven distribution of links between the sprockets? would that cause any noise? i hope nothing got broken...thanks for any ideas guys
Old 03-02-2007, 03:53 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: '91 Bandit 400, All was well until...

sent you a pm. needs a chain. like i said in the pm, i got caught up doing other work and never got a chance to tighten the chain, or i would have noticed it before you picked it up. get a chain, bring it by, i'll swap it out, no charge. only takes a few minutes if you know the super-secret-ninja-master way of doing it
Old 03-02-2007, 04:34 PM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE

i got no PM?
Old 03-02-2007, 04:35 PM
hatrs make me famous

really? i replied to the pm you sent before i even saw this thread. it basically said the same thing as my original reply here though.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Bustadust can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by ProbeGT-ZE
i got no PM?
because u gotta check it using the super-ninja-master way
Old 03-02-2007, 04:37 PM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

yeah, i just noticed that when i was spinning the wheel i could actually see the chain binding on the rear sprocket, like...it'd "pop" then the whole chain would go limp, then it'd get tight, then "pop" again...where do i get a chain from?
Old 03-02-2007, 04:37 PM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

damn, i guess im no super-secret-ninja-master haha
Old 03-02-2007, 04:39 PM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

also, i can feel the "knocking" all the way up to the front, im guessing if its making this same binding on the sprocket on the gearbox i'd feel it all the way up there too?
Old 03-02-2007, 05:31 PM
hatrs make me famous

you can get a chain form any (japanese) bike shop. i believe that chain is a 525, but the parts guy at the shop should be able to look that up and make 100% sure. basically the pitch of the chain doesn't match the pitch of the sprocket anymore due to wear on the chain and sprockets, hence the "pop" you're hearing. i never noticed it when i rode it because the chain was loose. i should have tightened it before you picked it up, but like i said, i got caught up in customer jobs. "technically" it's best to replace the chain/sprockets as a set, but there was hardly any wear on the sprockets on the bike, so if you're looking to save a bit of money, just replacing the chain will do the trick. that's up to you though. either way, let me know, and i'll take care of it for you.

i just got your voicemail too (wtf is up with my phone??).
Old 03-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

what you need to do is sell it to me for $500

seriously its been like two weeks, when is the pain from missing out on this deal going to go away?

Quick Reply: '91 Bandit 400, All was well until...