Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

87' cbr 600 f1 hurricane... worth it?

Old 07-15-2011, 10:41 AM
nortaP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded
Default Re: 87' cbr 600 f1 hurricane... worth it?

I wouldn't pay $2,200 for that, motorcycles have horrible depreciation.

You'd be better off buying a Kawasaki 250R for a first bike, then selling it a year later for what you paid for it.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Function > Form

6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY

Originally Posted by Reloaded
I wouldn't pay $2,200 for that, motorcycles have horrible depreciation.

You'd be better off buying a Kawasaki 250R for a first bike, then selling it a year later for what you paid for it.
I've been doing some light research on beginner bikes and this is what keeps coming up. Its not so much about the value but more about the learning curve for 600+ sport bikes.

What I've been wondering, though, is if the size of the individual will make a difference with the heavier, harder to control bikes. I can understand it being much more difficult for a 5'7 160lbs guy trying to wrestle a 500+lbs sport bike around but what about those that are above average size? Will it make any difference?

DISCLAIMER: Never ridden before and have little experience with bikes in general.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

wwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud of

It does make a difference, but the real issue issue tends to be individuals who are either too irresponsible or incompetent to handle the power of whatever bike they are on. I learned to ride on a 600 when i was 20, I never had an issue... I have had friends learn on liter bikes just fine as well... i have also had friends go down hard on a 250....

all that being said, i would encourage the 600 as it is a nice compromise and you wont get annoyed with it being under powered after you start improving your riding skills... whatever you get have fun!
Old 07-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Function > Form

6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY

Originally Posted by wwplayboater
It does make a difference, but the real issue issue tends to be individuals who are either too irresponsible or incompetent to handle the power of whatever bike they are on. I learned to ride on a 600 when i was 20, I never had an issue... I have had friends learn on liter bikes just fine as well... i have also had friends go down hard on a 250....

all that being said, i would encourage the 600 as it is a nice compromise and you wont get annoyed with it being under powered after you start improving your riding skills... whatever you get have fun!
I'm beginning to lean toward a 500-600 of some sort.

Again I appreciate the feedback.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:33 PM
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded

Originally Posted by 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY
I've been doing some light research on beginner bikes and this is what keeps coming up. Its not so much about the value but more about the learning curve for 600+ sport bikes.

What I've been wondering, though, is if the size of the individual will make a difference with the heavier, harder to control bikes. I can understand it being much more difficult for a 5'7 160lbs guy trying to wrestle a 500+lbs sport bike around but what about those that are above average size? Will it make any difference?

DISCLAIMER: Never ridden before and have little experience with bikes in general.
If you're a big guy i'd look at the 500R, more or less than same bike, but twice the engine.

There have been huge leaps and bounds in motorcycle technology since these old sport bikes that you're looking at.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Function > Form

Originally Posted by Reloaded
If you're a big guy i'd look at the 500R, more or less than same bike, but twice the engine.

There have been huge leaps and bounds in motorcycle technology since these old sport bikes that you're looking at.
Well I'm 6'3, 215lbs and I get the feeling I may look ridiculous on a 500, certainly on a 250. Beyond that it may effect how long I can ride at a time, due to discomfort.