Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

86 honda xl250r kick starter

Old 10-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sailnude has disabled reputation
Default 86 honda xl250r kick starter

Kick starter seems to have been damaged, stripped or broken. Can't push start or kick. Do you think I can remedy by pulling right case cover or do I have to tear it down?
Old 10-13-2010, 10:29 AM
E for Engourged.

4BangerCivic has disabled reputation
Default Re: 86 honda xl250r kick starter

you should be able to get at it just removing the right case cover. you'll have to remove a few things inside that cover to get at it (if i'm remembering correctly). Here's what it'll look like (from my '87 XL250R, check the rebuild thread in cycle corner):

So youll definitely have to remove the clutch. Then you should be allright (well, you'll have to remove the bracket & maybe the kickstarter idle gear and its bushing).

Shoot me a PM if you have any Qs. I have this crankcase sitting next to me on my living room end table.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:46 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

if you can't pushstart OR kickstart it... the motor may be locked up. If the kicker alone was busted, you'd still be able to pushstart it.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

sailnude has disabled reputation

What tool do you use to get the nut off the clutch housing after you get the springs and small bolts off?
Old 10-26-2010, 03:57 AM
E for Engourged.

4BangerCivic has disabled reputation

You need this. it's not expensive ($9-$20). I got mine off the internet. You'll also need an impact hammer (or a special tool [which you can make at home]) to hold the clutch while you remove the nut. I have the part you need and the holding tool (in the event that you dont have a impact hammer). If you need to borrow them, just come by and you can borrow them. I'll prob ask to hold your license or something just so you dont run off w/ my $10 part hahaa

Edit: Found a pic. The home-made clutch holder looks like this. (note: the bike being shown is NOT a honda. but the toool looks the same. I made mine at a buddy's house who has some proper tools (although we ended up just using his impact hammer after we made the holder). It's good to have for the future though in teh event that our isn't available.

Last edited by 4BangerCivic; 10-26-2010 at 03:59 AM.