Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

1998 Honda CBR 900RR

Old 02-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AlWaYsBoOsTiN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1998 Honda CBR 900RR

Hey guys.. my boys CBR has stopped firing.. we think that it is the brain box.. but not positive.. We have been trying to get ahold of brick house cycles since last week and it says they are closed for inventory. Are they closed for good? Does anybody know of another junk yard for bikes? Or even somebody that has a parts CBR 900RR... it has to be 98 99 I believe. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
Rich
Old 02-04-2008, 03:28 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: 1998 Honda CBR 900RR

brickhouse is now 7 cities cycles. (a friggin hyosung dealer, lol)

before you go buying a CDI, check and make sure you have power to the coils. there's a main line that runs in the harness to power the coils, then it splits to each coil. if you get a break or short in that wire, you gets no sparky sparky.

you should also get a pulse on the other side of the coil when you spin the motor over, but since i'm assuming it's not sparking AT ALL, it's more likely going to be the switched hot lead to the coil than the pulsed side.

might also look under the right (ignition) cover and make sure the pulse generators are ok. i've seen the bolts back out of them before.

i think i have a manual for the 900rr's on disk, i can get you electrical specs on stuff if you want to check out what you have before you go buying parts. cdi replacement is generally a last resort after EVERYTHING else is checked out.

and uh, i have to ask, did you check the fuses?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Banned

yea.. checked all of the fuses and removed all of the panels looking for anything shorted out. What happened was.. the guy that had the bike before my friend.. had cut the ignition wires and wired in a new ignition. Well.. he used electrical tape instead of butt connectors and after time the tape started to come off and started arking on the headlight support. My friend shut the bike off.. and tried to start it.. ever since.. it wont start now. We have checked all the main fuses and there was a diod or something in the main fuse box behind the right front headlight and everything looks good. Cleaned up some of the connections... purchased a new battery just incase it had a bad cell or something. And checked the spark. Now we are here. Stuck... dont know what else to do.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:20 AM
hatrs make me famous

i'd be checking for burnt wiring, which isn't always easy, but i'd bet there's a burnt part of the wiring harness somewhere. if you can get ahold of a voltmeter, and a copy of the wing diagram, start checking everything electrically related to the ignition and make sure it's got power, and ground, and go from there. that kind of electrical problem can take some time to fully diagnose.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:56 AM
Banned

yea... he is supposed to be coming over today to take another look at it.. We havent found a CDI yet anyways except on ebay.. and they want $100 for it.. and thats alot of money on a guess.. it would suck if it didnt work.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:57 AM
Banned

we were actually kinda hoping that somebody knew of a friend that had one... and would be willing to put my boys CDI in their bike.. to see if it works or not.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:03 AM
hatrs make me famous

There's a million 900rr's in the area, but I don't really know how to get ahold of anyone I know that has one. Sorry bro.

You might try Steve over at Precision Motorcycle off Witchduck rd. He had a 900rr he was building last time I was there. Don't know if it's even in one piece, but it's worth a shot. He's good peoples, I'm sure if he can help out, he would.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Banned

aiight.. i think i might make another post and see if somebody here has one that will help us out.. if not.. I will go see about talking that Steve.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Banned

Default Anybody here have a 98-99 CBR 900RR?

Me and my friend are diagnosing his problem with his bike. We are believing that it is his CDI box.. But that is a very expensive part. He is not trying to buy this part if his is good. So we are asking anybody in the area with a 900RR that wouldnt mind bringing it by and putting his CDI box in your bike and see if it works. We dont want to use yours in his just in case there is a wiring problem and short yours out too... but if your bike starts and runs with his CDI box then we know its good. And we can start looking elsewhere.. and if it doesnt.. then we have found the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. And would be willing to spend the 9 bucks to fill up your tank for the help.. LOL.
Rich
757-839-4389
Old 02-05-2008, 08:46 AM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anybody here have a 98-99 CBR 900RR?

Why did you have to make a second post? We can clearly all read the first one.

Quick Reply: 1998 Honda CBR 900RR